New here. Am confused about lab results.

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
Your fTSH is above mid range and the others below mid range. There is a pattern there... but perhaps just confirming the low T situation. Getting T restored can sometimes get the thyroid back on track.

Your T and FT are low, E and progesterone are way up too. You do have a serious issue and your stated problems with state of mind are totally consistent with your hormone imbalance.

Where abouts in Canada are you. As you know, having the right doctor is important. Perhaps someone will be able to make a suggestion for a doc that is in a reasonable location for you.

The pituitary gland can cause problems like this when it has been injured from a blow or whiplash in an auto accident. When [old] age is not the issue, damage to the pituitary gland should be checked out, if only to rule out that it is not a problem from a pituitary tumor. The testes can also be damaged and at your age, you should have you testes inspected or scoped out to make sure that testicular cancer is not a cause. Something that elevates E or progesterone can then via those levels suppress the HPTA and cause problems like those that you are having.

A potential pituitary problem cannot be repaired, so testosterone [TRT] may be the only good outcome for that.

Are you gaining weight and loosing muscle mass? More than the lethargy might explain? Fat patterns changing? High E and low T can do all of that. What is your weight and height and how have these changed?

Are you taking any meds that might be part of whats going on? Many can get depressed with hormones out of whack like this. When that happens, getting put on an anti-depressant can make things worse, by not treating the cause and then from the sexual side effects of the drugs make such things worse.

B

Bungloid48

Awards
First off, thank you for the reply!

Your fTSH is above mid range and the others below mid range. There is a pattern there... but perhaps just confirming the low T situation. Getting T restored can sometimes get the thyroid back on track.

Your T and FT are low, E and progesterone are way up too. You do have a serious issue and your stated problems with state of mind are totally consistent with your hormone imbalance.
This isn't helping my case but; I wouldn't rely on those salival panel values for anything else other than the cortisol. I've heard time and time again that they are inconsistent and unreliable, which is why I did the blood test.

Where abouts in Canada are you. As you know, having the right doctor is important. Perhaps someone will be able to make a suggestion for a doc that is in a reasonable location for you.
I can only hope! I am located in Montreal, Quebec. I know there are many competent doctors in the Toronto area but unfortunately the healthcare system prevents me from seeking care in their province.

The pituitary gland can cause problems like this when it has been injured from a blow or whiplash in an auto accident. When [old] age is not the issue, damage to the pituitary gland should be checked out, if only to rule out that it is not a problem from a pituitary tumor. The testes can also be damaged and at your age, you should have you testes inspected or scoped out to make sure that testicular cancer is not a cause. Something that elevates E or progesterone can then via those levels suppress the HPTA and cause problems like those that you are having.

A potential pituitary problem cannot be repaired, so testosterone [TRT] may be the only good outcome for that.
I can distinctly remember having 2 severe blows to the head in my life. One was in preschool at the age of about 7 when I fell off of the diving board and fell onto the cement head-on at a municipal pool. My childhood was very good and I felt great, though. The problems were onset at puberty. The other blow was similar at about the age of 15-16 but I didn't notice anything afterwards. Both times I did not lose consciousness but you can trust me on that they were very hard blows to the head.

Are you gaining weight and loosing muscle mass? More than the lethargy might explain? Fat patterns changing? High E and low T can do all of that. What is your weight and height and how have these changed?
No unexplained weight gain. My metabolism is fairly normal. I'm a skinny-fat hardgainer and just like anyone else I struggle to maintain a good body composition. Through discipline and persistence I've managed to keep in good shape. Right now I'm sitting at 170lbs at about 13%BF. I gain muscle and lose fat at about the same rate as any average skinny-fat kid would. One strange thing is I tend to store most of my fat on my buttocks just like a woman would. It's extremely annoying.

Are you taking any meds that might be part of whats going on? Many can get depressed with hormones out of whack like this. When that happens, getting put on an anti-depressant can make things worse, by not treating the cause and then from the sexual side effects of the drugs make such things worse.
I have never taken any kind of prescription medication for any extended period of time save for a few courses of antibiotics here and there.

Another thing I should probably mention is that last year I developed an acute case of chronic prostatitis and epididymitis. These are going to be life-long and there is nothing I can do about it. I have seen a few urologists and have been treated with Cipro but since it's chronic it's here to stay. I must say I havn't really felt the same after this happened but I think it's emotional for the most part. Physically, there was no major difference between before or after - like I wouldn't say this is the root cause of my issues as they had been occuring long before.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Another thing I should probably mention is that last year I developed an acute case of chronic prostatitis and epididymitis. These are going to be life-long and there is nothing I can do about it. I have seen a few urologists and have been treated with Cipro but since it's chronic it's here to stay. I must say I havn't really felt the same after this happened but I think it's emotional for the most part. Physically, there was no major difference between before or after - like I wouldn't say this is the root cause of my issues as they had been occuring long before.
Sometime in the past I remember reading that there is some associacion between prostatitis and yeast or candida.
Also that Meparticin is supposedly effective treatment.
You cannot get Meparticin in USA, but its activity is in lowering E2.
So I infer that keeping E2 or most likey all estrogens at good level should help.

From yeast concern I would infer that eating probiotics should be beneficial.

Print Friendly

Entrez PubMed

Entrez PubMed

B

Bungloid48

Awards
Yeah, the author of the book "from fatigued to fantastic" talks about candida being a potential cause of chronic fatigue for some people. that would be almost IMPOSSIBLE to convince any GP of here though, its already considered pseudomedicine :fool2: . also the meds to treat it are EXTREMELY expensive.

damn.

bump on this thread though. any extra input???? anything at all..

H

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
First thing would be to throw away the saliva tests, and never think of them again (or the fact you wasted money on them).
In previous threats you mentioned that cortisol was only hormone that could be accuratly measured via saliva. What sudden changed your mind? are you talking about the validity of the lab conducting the test or the whole concept ?

B

Bungloid48

Awards
Guys,

I have found a local "Andropause" clinic in my area!

You do not require a referral to see a doctor since they have GPs there.

If I give them a call I could probably be able to set-up an appointment without a problem.

This may sound like a stupid clinic, but do you think they would entertain the idea of treating someone my age (19) at their clinic? I'm a bit apprehensive and embarrassed to call so that's why I'm asking.

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
Guys,

I have found a local "Andropause" clinic in my area!

You do not require a referral to see a doctor since they have GPs there.

If I give them a call I could probably be able to set-up an appointment without a problem.

This may sound like a stupid clinic, but do you think they would entertain the idea of treating someone my age (19) at their clinic? I'm a bit apprehensive and embarrassed to call so that's why I'm asking.
I have seen a number of guys in your age group with your problems on this BB and another site. It does happen. I don't see any reason why you should have any reservations in seeking help with this. Go for it! Expect that they will seek to understand whats going on and not just treat the symptom. With older guys the problems are typically age related. In your case, the investigations will be deeper.