Need help with cardio equipment..

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am having trouble deciding what to buy for a piece of cardio equipment for the house.

Here are some of what i have narrowed it down to.
Precor 5.17 elliptical- Wondering if i would miss the moving handles. Also don't believe it has Heart Rate.

Life fitness X1

Or some sort of treadmill in the 1k range..

Just want something for LI Cardio, that will last a while, and not need a ton of maintenance.

Any recommendations?

sf9ersfan8

sf9ersfan8

Awards
ive been wanting to get a piece of equipment 2, but i was thinking about a 90$ bike from wally world, lol. + i dont know how accurate those heart rate things are? man those look like some exspensive pieces.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ive been wanting to get a piece of equipment 2, but i was thinking about a 90$ bike from wally world, lol. + i dont know how accurate those heart rate things are? man those look like some exspensive pieces.
They are pretty expensive new, but u can find them on craigs list for like 60-70% off new retail..

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
i like the precor. i use that at the gym. it is easy on the joints, plus i like the fact that you can make it 'uphill'.

there are both of those machines but i never use the handles though.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i like the precor. i use that at the gym. it is easy on the joints, plus i like the fact that you can make it 'uphill'.

there are both of those machines but i never use the handles though.
I am going to try the precor at my gym tomorrow.. I may go that route.. I found a life fitness comercial unit for a good price, but it is like 4 years old, and big and ugly looking..lol

Also found a few nice tread mills.. **** i can't decide.

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I opt usually for the elliptical if not just taking a walk around the neighborhood or something. I played soccer for too long and squatting heavy can make my knees tender so I try to avoid the impact if at all possible. Even walking on a treadmill on incline does a lot as well.

I have a tendency to do moderate cardio for 45min-1hr vs. HIIT. I know people have their own opinions about both, but I prefer long/slower.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I opt usually for the elliptical if not just taking a walk around the neighborhood or something. I played soccer for too long and squatting heavy can make my knees tender so I try to avoid the impact if at all possible. Even walking on a treadmill on incline does a lot as well.

I have a tendency to do moderate cardio for 45min-1hr vs. HIIT. I know people have their own opinions about both, but I prefer long/slower.
At the gym i usually do the treadmill for 30-45 min, on a 10-15 incline at 3.6-3.8 speed.. I need the incline to get my HR to where i want it.

I tried walking around the block and i cant get my HR up to where i need it, as it is so flat out here. I can't really run/jog because my knees take a pounding.