Need a little help with my diet guys

tnotch10

Awards
Hey guys,

I'm 6'4, 218lbs, i've been bulking since early sept. Planning on continuing with it for another couple months. I think my diet is a little bit shaky and i'm trying to fix it up a bit
Calories : 4000cals a day At 40/20/20 split
Body fat is around 15%

Program : German volume training
Duration : started a month and half ago

Supplements:
Protein isolate
citrulline malate
creatine
agmatine.

My meals:

Breakfast
3 whole scrambled eggs with toast
Homade shake :
isolate protein
peanut butter
frozen blueberries
banana
2 table spoon of extra virgin olive oil/
1% milk
oatmeal.
kale

Lunch:
Rice
Tilapia
sweet potato
broccoli or asparagus

Snack:
one cup of trail mix

Dinner:
Rice
Tilapia
sweet potato
broccoli or asparagus

I workout at night so this is when it gets tricky. I try not to consume a lot carbs but i usually end up with more than i wanted to.

Post workout
Homemade shake (very similar to my breakfast shake)
Post workout meal:
some chicken breast with whole wheat bread and broccoli.

Any constructive criticism is welcomed. Let me know if there's anything i need to add or clean up.

Thanks

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Let's start with your goals first bro. Looking to cut, bulk etc.

Don't be afraid of carbs or any other macronutrient man.

tnotch10

Awards
Let's start with your goals first bro. Looking to cut, bulk etc. Don't be afraid of carbs or any other macronutrient man.
I'm bulking at the moment. My goal is to reach 230lbs then cut.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How many times a week do you lift? Any other activity such as physical job etc? What's your activity level like?

tnotch10

Awards
How many times a week do you lift? Any other activity such as physical job etc? What's your activity level like?
Usually, it's 4 day split. Job activity level is sedentary. Once a week i play soccer and that just began recently.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Based on those factors I would personally say you're overall intake seems a bit high. With being active about 5 times a week and the rest of your time being spent in a sedentary profession with kcals being so high you risk packing on some additional unwanted fat being somewhat counterproductive for what you're wanting to do. Why bulk up with a more than wanted portion ending up as fat and then having to lose from then on.

Although caloric intake is highly individual. A few more things would come into play. How old are you? How long have you been eating 4K kcals? What results have you noticed thus far? With it being right where it's at now at what rate are you gaining weight? These are All factors that can really help you fine tune your diet. If you are gaining fat at a fast rate I would make a larger cut than if you seem to be adding appropriate weight based on the mirror etc.

As far as your diet goes get a little creative. You're not a professional bodybuilder eat some food that is going to allow you to actually stick with what you're doing

tnotch10

Awards
Based on those factors I would personally say you're overall intake seems a bit high. With being active about 5 times a week and the rest of your time being spent in a sedentary profession with kcals being so high you risk packing on some additional unwanted fat being somewhat counterproductive for what you're wanting to do. Why bulk up with a more than wanted portion ending up as fat and then having to lose from then on. Although caloric intake is highly individual. A few more things would come into play. How old are you? How long have you been eating 4K kcals? What results have you noticed thus far? With it being right where it's at now at what rate are you gaining weight? These are All factors that can really help you fine tune your diet. If you are gaining fat at a fast rate I would make a larger cut than if you seem to be adding appropriate weight based on the mirror etc. As far as your diet goes get a little creative. You're not a professional bodybuilder eat some food that is going to allow you to actually stick with what you're doing
I'm 25. I was about 206-207lbs in Sept, started around 3100 and slowly increased it. On non workout days, i usually consume about 3800 and up it during the week. That has been my cal intake since beginning of Jan . Results been fairly good i would say, especially coming from 5x5 program, my body seems to like the high volume type of training. I don't gain fat easily but i do lose weight quite fast. I might play with my diet a little bit. I'm not gaining as quick as i want to but then again, i'm in no rush.Thanks for your input

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
First you dont need a ratio split
1g/lb of protein is fine
20% of fats is fine
rest carbs is good too

if you want less carbs and more fat (say 25%) that is fine too, do what feels best on your body

Hey guys,

Supplements:
Protein isolate
citrulline malate
creatine
agmatine.

Drop isolate, get a basic whey unless lactose intolerant
Where is your fishoil and multi?? those are far more important than CM and Agmatine
Grab Oxi-Omega and Orange Triad

My meals:

Breakfast
3 whole scrambled eggs with toast
Homade shake :
isolate protein
peanut butter
frozen blueberries
banana
2 table spoon of extra virgin olive oil/
1% milk
oatmeal.
kale

Lunch:
Rice
Tilapia
sweet potato
broccoli or asparagus

add 1tbsp of oil on top of this, or tbsp/2 of Peanut butter on sweet potato with honey

Snack:
one cup of trail mix

Add Protein Source (Beef/Eggs) + Veggie/Fruit here maybe instead of the trail mix make 2 PB and Banana Bagels with some eggs/beef on the side

Dinner:
Rice
Tilapia
sweet potato
broccoli or asparagus

Add a fat source, PB or Oil to this meal or was it down with some milk

I workout at night so this is when it gets tricky. I try not to consume a lot carbs but i usually end up with more than i wanted to.

Post workout
Homemade shake (very similar to my breakfast shake)
Post workout meal:
some chicken breast with whole wheat bread and broccoli.

Any constructive criticism is welcomed. Let me know if there's anything i need to add or clean up.

Thanks
You dont need a shake and a meal right after. And if you eat more carbs later that is fine too, thats 100% Broscience. 4 meals a day is fine, just bulk up the snack from above to help balance your kcals and raise what you need. You could easily add in some fats to help boost calories or drink some milk.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm 25. I was about 206-207lbs in Sept, started around 3100 and slowly increased it. On non workout days, i usually consume about 3800 and up it during the week. That has been my cal intake since beginning of Jan . Results been fairly good i would say, especially coming from 5x5 program, my body seems to like the high volume type of training. I don't gain fat easily but i do lose weight quite fast. I might play with my diet a little bit. I'm not gaining as quick as i want to but then again, i'm in no rush.Thanks for your input
Your metabolism is still pretty high then, that's good . It sounds like you've done right by yourself and have already done the tinkering process and have figured out where you need to be. Stick with that and pay close attention to your progress and continue adjusting accordingly

Another thought would be to keep a food journal for a little bit and use it for a good few weeks. You'd be surprised how many people think they consume x amount of calories and really end up being way below what they thought they were at.

tnotch10

Awards
First you dont need a ratio split
1g/lb of protein is fine
20% of fats is fine
rest carbs is good too

if you want less carbs and more fat (say 25%) that is fine too, do what feels best on your body

You dont need a shake and a meal right after. And if you eat more carbs later that is fine too, thats 100% Broscience. 4 meals a day is fine, just bulk up the snack from above to help balance your kcals and raise what you need. You could easily add in some fats to help boost calories or drink some milk.
Good man, thanks
I actually take multi vitamin but i haven't taken any fish oil in a while. Will pick those up.

I used to add olive oil to my meals, pour it on my sweet potatoes but the taste was killing me. I will play with that, maybe get honey garlic to mix it with the oil.

Will remove the trail mix and add those bagels and see how it feels. I haven't had banana bagel with PB in months.

Since i workout in the evening, should i then postpone my dinner after my workout?

tnotch10

Awards
Your metabolism is still pretty high then, that's good . It sounds like you've done right by yourself and have already done the tinkering process and have figured out where you need to be. Stick with that and pay close attention to your progress and continue adjusting accordingly

Another thought would be to keep a food journal for a little bit and use it for a good few weeks. You'd be surprised how many people think they consume x amount of calories and really end up being way below what they thought they were at.
Yes i used to be one of those, not writing it in a journal but start doing it since the beginning of my bulk.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Good man, thanks
I actually take multi vitamin but i haven't taken any fish oil in a while. Will pick those up.

I used to add olive oil to my meals, pour it on my sweet potatoes but the taste was killing me. I will play with that, maybe get honey garlic to mix it with the oil.

Will remove the trail mix and add those bagels and see how it feels. I haven't had banana bagel with PB in months.

Since i workout in the evening, should i then postpone my dinner after my workout?
Fishoils are a must for omega 3's aim for 2-3g EPA/DHA
Add PB to your sweet potatoes + honey easy extra kcals
Bagels are very easy and caloric dense, cream cheese, PB, Honey, Fruit Jam etc, anything can be put on them and make easy sandwiches on the go as well
You can utilize your meals however you want, just make sure your meeting your intake and eating around your workout to make sure you have optimal performance, if you have to eat a light meal prior to your workout to make sure you dont feel sick thats fine, just load up after your workout and hit your calories.

tnotch10

Awards
Fishoils are a must for omega 3's aim for 2-3g EPA/DHAAdd PB to your sweet potatoes + honey easy extra kcalsBagels are very easy and caloric dense, cream cheese, PB, Honey, Fruit Jam etc, anything can be put on them and make easy sandwiches on the go as wellYou can utilize your meals however you want, just make sure your meeting your intake and eating around your workout to make sure you have optimal performance, if you have to eat a light meal prior to your workout to make sure you dont feel sick thats fine, just load up after your workout and hit your calories.
Sounds good, will add your suggestions..I already add PB to both my shakes..about 3tbsp each but will use it with my bagels..those are easy extra calories.Appreciate the input

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Sounds good, will add your suggestions..I already add PB to both my shakes..about 3tbsp each but will use it with my bagels..those are easy extra calories.Appreciate the input
Grow time!