Nausea between meals

Marcia

Marcia

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hi everyone! I currently eat every three hours (only because it works for me - not because I believe it’s magical). I’m usually hungry about every 1.5 hours and by the 2 hour mark, nausea sets in. Does this happen to anyone else? If so, how do you combat it - other than eat, of course :). Hunger is nothing new but being nauseated at work is awful.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you taking any supplements or PEDs?

Marcia

Marcia

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Are you taking any supplements or PEDs?
Not on any PEDs at the moment and supplements are basic multivitamin and fish oil. I put creatine in my post workout protein shake. Since I’m not competing any time soon I’m keeping it simple.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It sounds like a blood sugar drop. When I used to feel hypoglycemic, a bit of nausea would hit me for a short period of time. My wife went off keto during pregnancy, and since getting back on keto has had some mild nausea a couple hours after eating (her body is relearning fat for fuel).

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hi everyone! I currently eat every three hours (only because it works for me - not because I believe it’s magical). I’m usually hungry about every 1.5 hours and by the 2 hour mark, nausea sets in. Does this happen to anyone else? If so, how do you combat it - other than eat, of course :). Hunger is nothing new but being nauseated at work is awful.
nausea from hunger? I have gotten this... the biggest thing to learn: hunger comes in "waves" and typically only lasts 15min or so... after that it will subside (usually the nausea as well).

Marcia

Marcia

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It sounds like a blood sugar drop. When I used to feel hypoglycemic, a bit of nausea would hit me for a short period of time. My wife went off keto during pregnancy, and since getting back on keto has had some mild nausea a couple hours after eating (her body is relearning fat for fuel).
Ahhhh ok. I’ve never really experienced this before. Guess I’ll keep toughing it out and hopefully it will resolve itself soon. Being hangry AND nauseated isn’t good for me or anyone around me!

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ahhhh ok. I’ve never really experienced this before. Guess I’ll keep toughing it out and hopefully it will resolve itself soon. Being hangry AND nauseated isn’t good for me or anyone around me!
Try this. Take fish oil/omega 3s right before the time you have been beginning to feel nauseous. See if it alleviates it some.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Try this. Take fish oil/omega 3s right before the time you have been beginning to feel nauseous. See if it alleviates it some.
i would take them with meals instead... slow the digestion.

The absolute LAST thing I want is a stomach full of fish oil when I'm feeling nauseous ha... the fear alone would make me sick

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
i would take them with meals instead... slow the digestion.

The absolute LAST thing I want is a stomach full of fish oil when I'm feeling nauseous ha... the fear alone would make me sick
I understand the thought, I figured she was already taking some slow digestive carbs, or a fat source in the meal. A little fish oil can help subside hypoglycemia. When starting ketogenic diet, occasionally I would experience some hypo from too low blood sugar in the beginning, eating some fat helped nausea to subside.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The last thing one wants to do in between meals, especially having 4 to 6 meals a day, one would not want to increase their blood sugar, and then increase their insulin output (between meals), this will cause the body to become more insulin resistant, and will make hypo issues worse, as well as impeding goals.

Marcia

Marcia

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I do take my fish oil right before my first meal and my third meal. Drinking water doesn’t alleviate anything, unfortunately.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do take my fish oil right before my first meal and my third meal. Drinking water doesn’t alleviate anything, unfortunately.
You could add some ACV right before your meal. That helps some people with post hypo symptoms.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My pleasure. Let us know how it goes!

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

If that's the case and you haven't noticed it, it just means you've kept bloodsugar stable most of your life which is a good thing and it definitely helps with your physique.

Marcia

Marcia

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If that's the case and you haven't noticed it, it just means you've kept bloodsugar stable most of your life which is a good thing and it definitely helps with your physique.
I guess the only time I have was during cuts but that was to be expected. Never in an off season.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I guess the only time I have was during cuts but that was to be expected. Never in an off season.

It's not bad to add a little oats and maybe a teaspoon of honey or a little grapefruit to make bloodsugar stable. If you're bulking it's probably a good idea since the feeling of being down is a sign your body is craving for more and it needs more to grow.

Marcia

Marcia

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It's not bad to add a little oats and maybe a teaspoon of honey or a little grapefruit to make bloodsugar stable. If you're bulking it's probably a good idea since the feeling of being down is a sign your body is craving for more and it needs more to grow.
You’re probably 100% right and I’m just being really too cautious trying to avoid the post show rebound.

Prostreet71

Awards
I keep a couple boxes of Promax bars in my office. When I get hungry I just eat a half a bar, works out great. Cookies and cream tastes really good.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You’re probably 100% right and I’m just being really too cautious trying to avoid the post show rebound.

Yeah but just have a little, you don't have to feel full but when the body gets to the stage of low bloodsugar it's likely you've eaten less than your body needs. This is the best and most efficient time to add some carbs because you'll stabilize rather than spike bloodsugar.

You seem to know what you're doing so I don't think you'd end up with major problems if you eat a little more :)