Natural Nootropic: Nitrates

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We all probably know about the benefits of nitrates on exercise performance, but did you know nitrates may also have cognitive enhancing (nootropic) effects in healthy subjects?

The noot: 450ml organic beetroot juice (including 10% apple juice) containing 5.5mmol nitrate (at ~62g/mol, that's 341mg nitrates)

Note: if you're using potassium nitrate, 341mg nitrates would be yielded from ~559mg potassium nitrate (which is ~61% nitrate), but it seems possible that the beetroot juice may have some other pro-cognitive benefits besides just nitrates, although the study makes no mention of this, and discusses the nitrate content of the treatment vs the placebo as the primary player/factor here

Subjects: healthy young adults (average age ~21 years)

Results:
Dietary nitrate increased levels of nitrite, and modulated the hemodynamic response
40 to task performance, with an initial increase in CBF at the start of the task period, followed by
41 consistent reductions during the least demanding of the three tasks utilised. Cognitive
42 performance was improved on the Serial 3s subtraction task.
Conclusion:

These results show that single doses of dietary nitrate can modulate the CBF
44 response to task performance and improve cognitive performance, and suggest one possible
45 mechanism by which vegetable consumption may have beneficial effects on brain function.

This dose (5.5mmol or 341mg nitrates) is consistent with the dose that has ergogenic/endurance benefits (5-9mmol or 310-558mg nitrates) although they advise against the use of nitrate salts.

This meta-analysis shows that nitrate supplementation increases tolerance and efficiency
to high-intensity constant and maximal incremental exercise, which may increase exercise
performance. Doses ranging from 5 to 9 mmol of nitrate seem to be the most effective and can be
taken as either a single bolus or as multiple doses (up to 15 days). This amount (5-9 mmol) can
easily be met through a normal diet consisting of vegetables, with beetroot, spinach and rocket
(rogula) representing the richest sources of dietary nitrate. Natural sources of vegetable nitrates
are likely safe and should remain the primary vessel for those looking to explore the
physiological effects of nitrate associated with exercise. In contrast, the uncontrolled use of
organic nitrates (nitroglycerin) and nitrite salts is potentially hazardous and should be avoided. It
would also be important to consider the type of athlete performing the exercise, the duration,
intensity and mode of the exercise performed as these factors are likely to influence the efficacy
of nitrate supplementation.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Probably something to do with the beets because I take PN and don't notice any cognitive benefits.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Probably something to do with the beets because I take PN and don't notice any cognitive benefits.
That’s possible. But given that Nitrosigine and Noolvl (which is mostly Nitrosigine) have been shown to have some cognitive benefits, perhaps it’s bloodflow/NO related? It may also be a subtle thing that’s “statistically significant” in results but not really noticeable for an individual? But yeah, I don’t see the effect being overly large in magnitude, but still, I think it’s pretty cool. Maybe get a little benefit for the brain while you try to walk around all day with a pump.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Similar with creatine. I've been reading and hearing anecdotal stories about it having cognitive benefits for many. Can't say I've noticed, but maybe I am just not looking for them so hard to say.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Similar with creatine. I've been reading and hearing anecdotal stories about it having cognitive benefits for many. Can't say I've noticed, but maybe I am just not looking for them so hard to say.
If you eat a lot of meat, the cognitive effects of Creatine may not be present IMO. It’s been noted that these effects are more pronounced and/or reliable in vegans/vegetarians, so perhaps you get enough Creatine via your diet to provide cognitive benefits? It seems like the amount you need for cognitive benefit may be less than what you need for ergogenic benefits IIRC.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They say at age 34 and 60 your body goes thru a change so take creatine big time a year before 34 & 60 and
Just load up on creatine one year before you turn 34/60/78 to make sure your brain gets the best nutrients.

https://www.sciencealert.com/our-bodies-age-in-three-separate-shifts-according-new-blood-tests

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They say at age 34 and 60 your body goes thru a change so take creatine big time a year before 34 & 60 and

Just load up on creatine one year before you turn 34/60/78 to make sure your brain gets the best nutrients.

https://www.sciencealert.com/our-bodies-age-in-three-separate-shifts-according-new-blood-tests
There’s no way those are set-in-stone years for everyone; I’m willing to bet that those are averages/means, with a range of at least a few years on either side, so I wouldn’t try to time it within a year honestly. Why not spend, what, less than $5/month on Creatine anyway?