My top 10 anti-aging supplements

the Cardinal

Awards
I'll be 50 in a couple of months, so that got me thinking about what has worked health-wise for me. Without further ado, my top 10 (well, actually slightly more, but what the heck) supplement list:

1. l-carnosine (amazing anti-glycation agent . My night vision improved almost immediately on 1000 mg/day, and I've seen a nice decrease in my A1c number from 6.8 to below 6 in less than a year!)
tie2. chromium picolinate (blood glucose control) and
rotating use of grapeseed extract, celery seed extract with 3nB, and hawthorn berry extract (blood pressure control)
3. nettle root extract (increases free test, benefits the prostate, plus it helps with mild allergy-related congestion)
4. fish oil capsules (love 'em because they are mercury and PCB-free!)
5. whey and soy protein (recent research indicates soy mitigates the excess build up of proteins in the urinary track)
6. alpha lipoic acid (super antioxidant,/insulin sensitizer)
7. beta alanine (intensifies the effects of carnosine, plus I've gotten stronger using this with creatine)
8. creatine 9great brain food as well as muscle food!)
9. Greens powder (I hate most vegetables, so this really works for me)
10. Mixed soluble and insoluble fiber powder (good ju ju - no strainin' or gruntin', plus helps with cholesterol)

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Ahhh I wish more doctors were like that. :)

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cardinal, what is your opinion of hyaluronic acid? I've heard some positive feedback for it in regards to anti-aging properties, such as skin health, vision, joint health, etc. It may be worth looking into.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Interesting thread, will look forward to more responses.

What about:

reservatrol
Green Tea
ALCAR

the Cardinal

Awards
NO soy for males! It acts as an estrogen in our bodies.

CoQ10

Carnitine

D-Ribose

BTW, increasing Free T is of no consequence in normally functioning HPTA's. The system just downregulates back to baseline.

Some of these supplements I don't know much about--I guess you've sent me to the library to read up on. Thanks!
I limit the soy to no more than 25 grams daily, which is roughly about one-fifth to one-seventh my daily intake of of protein.

the Cardinal

Awards
Cardinal, what is your opinion of hyaluronic acid? I've heard some positive feedback for it in regards to anti-aging properties, such as skin health, vision, joint health, etc. It may be worth looking into.
I use it topically for the frown lines anywhere from once to four or five times weekly, and I've been doing this for about 8 months. Maybe it's beer googles, but my skin has smoothed out in the area of application, and I think I look simply Mah-velous!:twisted: I've never tried the oral version.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
If I took that much soy protein each day, I would get high blood pressure, a head ache, bloating, and and irresistible urge to go shopping. Also, to argue for no darned reason.
:toofunny:

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Dr. John,

I have read in some natural-cure-type books that soy has a very week estrogenic action, and can actually act like a SERM (compared it to tamoxifen), binding to the ER and inhibiting the effects of stronger estrogens (estradiol).

I haven't seen a specific study that indicated this, nor have I really looked. What are you thoughts on this, "theory?"

the Cardinal

Awards
So you "only" take 25 grams of estrogen-like substance per day? I'm trying to make a point here.

If I took that much soy protein each day, I would get high blood pressure, a head ache, bloating, and and irresistible urge to go shopping. Also, to argue for no darned reason.
As an M.D., you should know better than most that individual risk factors and symptoms often dictate our health priorities. If I'm concerned with improving kidney function, then the potential effects of 25 grams or less of soy isolates on my estrogen levels fall into the category of minutiae, IMHO.
Isolated soy protein shown to benefit type 2 diabetics, study indicates

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
Dr. John,

Could you please shed some light on these studies?

In a recent study looking at soy's affect on reproductive health in healthy males, men given 40 mg of soy isoflavones daily for 2 months (there are 20 mg of isoflavones in 1 cup of soy milk; 38 mg in 1/2 cup of tofu), there were no effects on serum sex hormones, testicular volume, or semen quality. This was deemed the first study to examine the effects of a phytoestrogen supplement on reproductive health in males. (Mitchell et al., Clinical Science 100(6):613-618, 2001 June)

Effect of soymilk consumption on serum estrogen and androgen concentrations in Japanese men.

Nagata C, Takatsuka N, Shimizu H, Hayashi H, Akamatsu T, Murase K.

Department of Public Health, Gifu University School of Medicine, Japan.

Soy consumption has been associated with a reduced risk of prostate cancer. The mechanism for this association may involve the effect of soy on the endocrine system. We conducted a randomized dietary intervention study to determine the effects of soy consumption on serum levels of steroid hormones in men. Thirty-five men were randomly assigned to either a soymilk-supplemented group or a control group. The men in the soy-supplemented group were asked to consume 400 ml of soymilk daily for 8 weeks. The men in the control group maintained their usual diet. Blood samples were obtained just before the initiation of the dietary period and thereafter every two weeks for 12 weeks. Changes in hormone concentrations were analyzed and compared between the two groups using the mixed linear regression model against weeks from the start of the dietary period. The mean (SD) soymilk intake estimated from dietary records during the dietary study period was 342.9 (SD, 74.2) ml in the soymilk-supplemented group. There was a significant difference between the two groups in terms of changes in serum estrone concentrations, which tended to decrease in the soy-supplemented group and increase in the control group over time. None of the other hormones measured (estradiol, total and free-testosterone, or sex hormone-binding globulin) showed any statistical difference between the two groups in terms of patterns of change. The results of the study indicate that soymilk consumption may modify circulating estrone concentrations in men.

Soy milk intake in relation to serum sex hormone levels in British men.
Allen NE, Appleby PN, Davey GK, Key TJ.

Cancer Research UK Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford OX2 6HE, UK.

Soy beans contain high levels of the isoflavones genistein and daidzein and their glycosides and have been implicated in the prevention of prostate cancer, possibly via their effects on sex hormone metabolism. The aim of this study was to assess the relation between dietary soy intake and sex hormone levels in a cross-sectional analysis of 696 men with a wide range of soy intakes. Soy milk intake was measured using a validated semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire, and serum hormone concentrations were measured by immunoassay. Multiple regression was used to investigate the association between soy milk intake, an index of isoflavone intake, and hormone levels after adjustment for pertinent confounders. Soy milk intake was not associated with serum concentrations of testosterone, free testosterone, androstanediol glucuronide, sex hormone-binding globulin, or luteinizing hormone. These results suggest that soy milk intake, as a marker of isoflavone intake, is not associated with serum sex hormone concentrations among free-living Western men.

PMID: 12094627 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Last yr. a young men from the Bahamas joined a group I monitor at lets call it the H2 group. Anyway he had been having problems with fatigue, low libido, feelings of panic, and some ED problems. He had his testosterone levels tested and they were low but he could not find a Dr. to treat him. I ask him about the meds he takes and he told he he was a heath nut. And did on do drugs or meds. he was proud of his diet and said he eat a dam good diet and drank a lot of Soy milk. Like 1 quart a day.

I told him I felt this was his problem and when did he start on the Soy milk. Was it after this that the problems started. Turns out it was. I told him that I feel the Soy acts like a weak Estrogen that is useless to the body. It takes up the space in the cells the E and T go and the brain can't tell the difference between E and T in the cells so with this Soy Estrogen filling up his cells the brain sees this as testosterone and stops sending the LH and FSH messages to his Testis to make T.

Well some time went by and he posted all is back to normal stoping the Soy milk. His libido came back and the fatigue is gone and now ED problems.

So if you think Soy is good for you think again.
Phil

the Cardinal

Awards
Clearly the effects vary widely across the population, and this gentleman is a hyper-responder. But it shows you what can happen. I have heard many such stories. That is why I feel the way I do.
For the typical, healthy male, I agree with you. It's only been recently that I started using soy protein (trust me - I've been a card-carrying believer in the "evils of soy" for males since the early 00's, but it's amazing what one is willing to try when one wants to prevent some slightly troubling urine values from developing into a full blown disease!).

The sole reason I'm using soy protein, is because of the evidence that was presented in the study with the Vets (my peeps!). Should my urine values show an improvement six months from now, you can bet I'll keep right on using, and I'll deal with any unwanted symptoms of hormonal imbalance (which I'm still fairly positive won't occur with such a low intake, but I could be wrong...) the same way I'm tackling this issue - I'll do research, and then I'll develop my own supplement/drug protocol for correcting the imbalance!

From what I've read, generally the unfortunate hormonal imbalances attributed to soy in males seem to occur in inverse proportion to age - i.e., the younger you are, the more you should try to avoid the stuff.

Excelsior!

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are there any other foods that have a similar estrogenic effect in the body?

the Cardinal

Awards
Are there any other foods that have a similar estrogenic effect in the body?
I'm sure there are probably a few plants that exhibit mild estrogenic properties, but one that comes to mind is licorice.

the Cardinal

Awards
Be very clear, though, that this does not acually prove animal/soy protein either causes, or increases the risk of diabetes. It's merely an association between "signs".

Well for sure if you feel something is just not right, you will know what to do.

But even so, if you can, try to get a 24 hour urinary panel done for the estrogens and metabolites. I sure would like to see before and after panels for E1,E2 and E3, with breakdown for the 2-OHE, 4-OHE and 16-a-OHE metabolites.

Pardon me if you have already stated so, but have you been diagnosed with diabetes, or even glucose intolerance?
No, I havent been diagnosed with diabetes "officially," but when my A1c level came back at 6.8 earlier this year (despite the fact that my fasting blood glucose level was 90), it got my attention - especially since there have been diabetes-related deaths on both sides of my family, as well as siblings who have been diagnosed with type two in their 40's and 50's. Combined with a 24-hour urine creatinine level of 2.94, and total protein level of 222, I didn't need convincing that I've got to do some things differently.

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
Dr. John,

You listed Carnitine in a previous post in this thread. Does it matter whether it's Acetyl-L-Carnitine, or Carnitine? Also, where would one find out how much to take?

Thanks,
WF

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Dr. John,

I've been staying away from dairy products because of sinusitis.. I've been drinking 4-5 cups of soy milk per day for the past couple of weeks.. Is there a better alternative to milk than soy?

Thank you...

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
... I also lose my ability to think logically, and want to go to the mall.
Well, of course you'll have to go to the mall. You're gonna need some new shoes to go with that purse! That's logical!! (lol)

Seriously, I totally agree with Dr.J. Soy bad. Testosterone good.