My 12 week training cycle

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Here is the training cycle I will be following for the next 12 weeks. It will involve a lot chains and bands, plus a lot more accessory work than I am used to. I am just going to write out my ME days (always wednesdays), my DE days will just consist of speed work with 315-405 + doubled purple bands. I am trying to avoid the overtraining that has occured in past training cycles where I went heavy more than once a week. The weights listed will be before the bands and chains are added. I will be using doubled purple bands unless otherwise noted.
Here is the plan:

Weeks 1-2: close grips + 85lbs of chains
warm up
500x5x2sets
525x3x2sets
550x1x2sets

4 sets of 15 reps of incline db press
4 sets of 15 reps of shoulder press

tate presses 3x10, skull crushers 2x10, pushdowns 2x10

weeks 3-4: flat bench + 85lbs of chains
warm up
515x5x2sets
535x3x2sets
575x1x2sets

4 sets of 15 reps of decline db presses

tate presses 3x10, skull crushers 2x10, pushdowns 2x10

weeks 5-6: flat bench + bands
warm up
425x5x2sets
450x5x2sets
500x3x2sets

4 sets of 15 reps of incline db presses

tate presses 3x10, decline skulls crushers 2x10, pushdowns 2x10

weeks 7-8: close grip bench + 85lbs of chain
warm up
525x5x2sets
550x3
575x2
600x1
615x1

4 sets of 15 reps of decline db presses

tate presses 3x10

weeks 9-10: flat bench + 85lbs of chain + monster mini bands (doubled)
warm up
525x5x2
550x3
575x1
600x1
615x1

4 sets of 15 reps of incline db presses
4 sets of 15 resp of shoulder press

tate presses 4x10, decline skull crushers 3x10, pushdowns 3x10

week 11:
rest

week 12:
max out with straight weight

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
I am looking forward to this training cycle, the weights listed are approximations, I will try and stick to them as much as possible, but will deviate if needed (may go heavier, may not get all the reps, etc, etc.), I will post up if anything goes differently than what I have written out.

BAD_MO_FO

Awards
I am looking forward to this training cycle, the weights listed are approximations, I will try and stick to them as much as possible, but will deviate if needed (may go heavier, may not get all the reps, etc, etc.), I will post up if anything goes differently than what I have written out.

Nick, do you ever do any board presses? I noticed all your max effort lifts are full range of motion. I'm trying to adapt a westside template to my training and am training for a raw max as well. Right now my max effort rotation looks like this

1-board press (good pause)
bench press with chians
cambered bar bench
cg bench press

Do you think I would benefit by removing the 1 board press and the floor press and making everyting full range?

What do you think about the cambered bar for max effort work? I heard cambered bar with 2 boards has done great things for raw maxes.

Any input you could provide is much appreciated.

thx

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
when going raw I always go full ROM, unless my bicep tendonitis is flaring...then I will go to a 2 board. I have never really had any luck getting carryover from board presses to my raw max, but I do feel its a different story when it comes to shirted lifts.

I also want to let people know that I am putting off my bench program for 2 weeks. I am still working on recovering from being sick and am trying to do so in a slow enough manner that I don't get injured. My goal for this training cycle is to stay as healthy as possible and avoid overtraining, I will be making adjustments according all throughout this training cycle.

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Today I worked up to 635 (315x5, 405x5, 500x5, 550x3, 585x3, and then 635) for an easy single on flat bench, then did 4 sets of 15 on incline with the 130lbers, and then worked up to 600 for 2 reps on the hammer strength shoulder press (not really a representation of what I can really do, lol, not quite that strong). Not super heavy for chest, but my shoulders were frigg'n killing me when I was done, they were sore for about half an hour afterwards. I am going to be hurting for a while I think, lol. I am getting a lot bigger in the chest, shoulders, and tris but my weight is not going up...which doesn't really bother me.

This wasn't a workout like I have structured above, but I felt like I needed it. I am looking forward to weds. workout, it should be a good one as long as my shoulders are fully recovered by then.

BAD_MO_FO

Awards
Question about your DE Day

Today I worked up to 635 (315x5, 405x5, 500x5, 550x3, 585x3, and then 635) for an easy single on flat bench, then did 4 sets of 15 on incline with the 130lbers, and then worked up to 600 for 2 reps on the hammer strength shoulder press (not really a representation of what I can really do, lol, not quite that strong). Not super heavy for chest, but my shoulders were frigg'n killing me when I was done, they were sore for about half an hour afterwards. I am going to be hurting for a while I think, lol. I am getting a lot bigger in the chest, shoulders, and tris but my weight is not going up...which doesn't really bother me.

This wasn't a workout like I have structured above, but I felt like I needed it. I am looking forward to weds. workout, it should be a good one as long as my shoulders are fully recovered by then.

Nick, I have another quick question for you. On your speed day you seem to train with more band tension and weight % than most of the westside guys. Is there a reason for that? I have never heard of someone doing dynamic effort day with a doubled light jump stretch band (~200 at the top and 100 at the bottom.) Not that I am questioning what you do, it obviously works for you, I was just curious about the method behind your madness. I have heard anything from 40-45% on the floor press plus a doubled mini to the more complex system of 50-65% of your raw max but 40% of that being band tension. Anyway, your insight is much appreciated. Good luck going for the raw record!

Thx-

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Nick, I have another quick question for you. On your speed day you seem to train with more band tension and weight % than most of the westside guys. Is there a reason for that? I have never heard of someone doing dynamic effort day with a doubled light jump stretch band (~200 at the top and 100 at the bottom.) Not that I am questioning what you do, it obviously works for you, I was just curious about the method behind your madness. I have heard anything from 40-45% on the floor press plus a doubled mini to the more complex system of 50-65% of your raw max but 40% of that being band tension. Anyway, your insight is much appreciated. Good luck going for the raw record!

Thx-
The numbers stated in my last post weren't with bands, it was just straight weight (didn't have access to them where I was training). Most of the big benchers at westside do use 2 doubled purple bands for their DE work. Mike Wolfe and I both use anywhere between 315 and 405 plus the bands for our speed days. I am not sure what others do as I only do what I am told when I am at westside, lol (never really bothered to read the articles since I have been training there almost as long as I have been powerlifting). I know it seems to work for me so I have stuck with it for the most part. I will add that I only seem to grow off training retardedly heavy, when I go lighter I can only maintain my strength.