Mission impossible: Mask White willow bark powder taste

Storböle

Awards
"Now, I’m not going to lie — the taste is incredibly bitter (imagine chewing up a few aspirin), but it’s simple and effective. By chewing the bark, you’re releasing and mixing the medicinal salicin and flavonoids with your saliva."

I purchased this
white-willow-bark-extract standardised, and it taste worse than i remember, this is for my mum who cant swallow pills, so we need to dilute into some beverage.Vanilla yogurt was not a taste success for me, neither blackberry/raspberry juice

Yes yes i can purchase a glycerine tincture of white willow bark (salix alba) from Hawaii Pharms instead to mask this **** taste, but it will not be
standardised salicin content then, therefore i refuse to go down with my purchase without a tastefull fight

Last edited:
xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
try cranberry juice.. its already a little bitter so maybe it'll just seem more normal that way. I can't think of anything to really hide it otherwise. a well made topical should be pretty close for dosing plus less should be needed.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Have her brush her teeth first, toothpaste makes almost everything weird or tasteless for a couple of mins after. Listerine works as well. Simply suspending the standardized extract in some glycerine is super easy as well.

You might want to take that link down, they are not a sponser.

Storböle

Awards
Have her brush her teeth first, toothpaste makes almost everything weird or tasteless for a couple of mins after. Listerine works as well. Simply suspending the standardized extract in some glycerine is super easy as well.

You might want to take that link down, they are not a sponser.
Good idea, im going to test to brush teeth

I took that link down now.
I dont see adding standardised extract into glycerine as an easy task, since im involved to figure how to do things myself :)
From what site? can your order this type of bulk-dietary-supplement-glycerine and deliver to Sweden

(Otherwise me think the closest to glycerine in Sweden is to buy glycerol at drug-stores,
Anabolicminds is indeed sponsored by this link ;)...."glycerol for conservation of twigs and autumn leafs"

And once i get the right glycerine, how shall i know the glycerine-powder-ratio?
I guess you want me to empty the whole standardised extract into some kind of amount of glycerine?
And then stir it up together?
Im that rare person actually...that i have never created a glycerine tincture myself

Last edited:

Storböle

Awards
try cranberry juice.. its already a little bitter so maybe it'll just seem more normal that way. I can't think of anything to really hide it otherwise. a well made topical should be pretty close for dosing plus less should be needed.
I just tasted 5 % of the entire powder-content into some cranberry juice,
but my shoulders shilled just by sipping to it :)

So have you read somewhere that salix alba or aspirin can be uptaken by the skin? if thats what you mean with
"a well made topical"
What ingrediens would be inside that topical?

And same follow-up question that went to BCseacow83
above must goes to you, do you know where can i buy right kind of glycerine and how do i make a tincure of it?

Last edited:
BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Any 99.7% pure or food-grade glycerine is fine. We have multiple sellers here in the USA on both ebay and amazon as well as most places selling lotion/soaps/skin care products.

Yes, I was suggesting taking a known amount of stand. powder and simply mixing into the glycerine. So say you have 10g of powder and 90g glycerine this would give you roughly 100ml of 100mg per ml. Adjust as needed to get whatever concentration you wish. At a certain point, your solution will no longer hold and you will see a bunch of powder at the bottom. This is assuming there is any solubility at all. If not you have a suspension and simply need to shake prior to each use.

Storböle

Awards
Any 99.7% pure or food-grade glycerine is fine. We have multiple sellers here in the USA on both ebay and amazon as well as most places selling lotion/soaps/skin care products.

Yes, I was suggesting taking a known amount of stand. powder and simply mixing into the glycerine. So say you have 10g of powder and 90g glycerine this would give you roughly 100ml of 100mg per ml. Adjust as needed to get whatever concentration you wish. At a certain point, your solution will no longer hold and you will see a bunch of powder at the bottom. This is assuming there is any solubility at all. If not you have a suspension and simply need to shake prior to each use.
I did find food-grade glycerine to order now from UK if nothing else....

So say that i have 500 mg capsules of standardised Salix alba white willow bark powder extract ;) how would you translate this to me confusing sentence "100ml of 100mg per ml".
Are you thereby suggesting that somewhere! around 2.5 ml of glycerine would possible match-blend into 250 mg of standardised Salix powder?

Storböle

Awards

Everything stands and falls with this question that needs answering

Since we are talking standardised extracts we get them in fixed dose capsules, so i cant calculate on this bulk-powder
10 g doses, i can only see you have a fixed powder dose and then adapt the glycerine dilution

What tools are you using when you gonna meassure up glycerine in g? instead of the ml-bottle it probably comes in

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i have no experience mixing and diluting stuff, @nostrum420 << this guy may be able to help. but i would assume to weight it on a digital scale maybe?

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weigh 10g

Dump it in a measuring cup with well over 100ml capacity

Add glycerin to the 100ml line

Stir and check that you're still at the 100 mark; add a little more glycerin, if necessary.

You now have 100ml at 100mg/ml.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mix the powder and chug it down. Then drink whatever masks the taste after it. Mixing them won't help much. Just suck it up and do whatever to make the taste gone afterwards.
Unless you want to cap it.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Mix the powder and chug it down. Then drink whatever masks the taste after it. Mixing them won't help much. Just suck it up and do whatever to make the taste gone afterwards.
Unless you want to cap it.
This is for OP's mother who I assume may be on in years so the old suck it up method may not be an option. OP I apologize for not answering sooner. NOS basically laid it out for you. You want to make a "batch" so you don't have to measure each time.

blackirish36

Awards
  • First Up Vote
You might look into the amino acid ornithine. A Japanese study showed that it was able to mitigate the bitterness of BCAAs. It is unknown if it helps with other bitter substances.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
"Now, I’m not going to lie — the taste is incredibly bitter (imagine chewing up a few aspirin), but it’s simple and effective. By chewing the bark, you’re releasing and mixing the medicinal salicin and flavonoids with your saliva."

I purchased this
white-willow-bark-extract standardised, and it taste worse than i remember, this is for my mum who cant swallow pills, so we need to dilute into some beverage.Vanilla yogurt was not a taste success for me, neither blackberry/raspberry juice

Yes yes i can purchase a glycerine tincture of white willow bark (salix alba) from Hawaii Pharms instead to mask this **** taste, but it will not be
standardised salicin content then, therefore i refuse to go down with my purchase without a tastefull fight
my granddaughter had problems swallowing pills...i got her some flavored goodys when she needed pain relief and especially tooth ache.