Milk Thistle, garlic, enzyme cytochrome P450 3A4, and other substances

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I've been reading through some drug interaction information. Apparently Milk Thistle and garlic supplements interact with liver enzyme cytochrome P450 3A4 (in test sube studies), which is used to metabolize other substances in the liver. A side effect of interaction with this enzyme is the possibility of altering (increasing/reducing) the total amount of other substances in the blood stream.

My question is, if you're taking Milk Thistle for liver protection, but your medication states that you should not take it due to P450 3A4 interaction, is there something else that can be used instead?
Also, I would advice anyone using Milk Thistle for liver protection to read through all interaction information for all medications taken to make sure you're not at risk.

I know a similar question came up a few months ago when IDS started marketing their grapefruit product to increase the potency of PHs, and I know some people bought the product while others simply drank grapefruit juice. However I figured I'd post the question again because I didn't know Milk Thistle can have the same effect and in case people were unaware.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hmm interesting post, my GF takes milk thistle daily as she is on warfrin (coumadin) and wanted to use it to counter any liver damage?

Be good to see Dr D wiegh in on this...

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been reading through some drug interaction information. Apparently Milk Thistle and garlic supplements interact with liver enzyme cytochrome P450 3A4 (in test sube studies), which is used to metabolize other substances in the liver. A side effect of interaction with this enzyme is the possibility of altering (increasing/reducing) the total amount of other substances in the blood stream.

My question is, if you're taking Milk Thistle for liver protection, but your medication states that you should not take it due to P450 3A4 interaction, is there something else that can be used instead?
Also, I would advice anyone using Milk Thistle for liver protection to read through all interaction information for all medications taken to make sure you're not at risk.

I know a similar question came up a few months ago when IDS started marketing their grapefruit product to increase the potency of PHs, and I know some people bought the product while others simply drank grapefruit juice. However I figured I'd post the question again because I didn't know Milk Thistle can have the same effect and in case people were unaware.

I asked the same question about St.Johns Wort a while back. Stageos(sp.?) answered me and said not to worry about it. I am since off the SJW.

Malek256

Awards
FYI -- just wanted to point out, SJW and MAO altering medication is a definite no-no. And SJW and birth control = no birth control.