Metaformin to Improve Insulin Resistance.

MetalMX

MetalMX

Awards
  • Established
What are peoples opinions on using Metaformin to improve insulin resistance?

Last time i did a glucose tolerance test i had very high insulin but normal glucose (insulin resistance), this is because i have low T, poor adrenal function and hypothyroidism.

Metformin is a biguanide (a hypoglycemia-inducing drug) that has been demonstrated to decrease hepatic glucose production and improve peripheral insulin sensitivity. Metformin benefits individuals with diabetes by:

Decreasing hepatic glucose production;
Reducing hyperglycemia;
Reducing lipid levels (eg, triglycerides);
Facilitating postreceptor transport of insulin; and
Facilitating weight loss.[3-6]
Each of these benefits of metformin leads to a physiological environment in which peripheral insulin sensitivity is improved, and insulin resistance is reduced.

Insulin resistance is associated with obesity. The use of metformin in obese nondiabetic individuals has been a subject of empirical inquiry and has significant implications for practice.[5,7-9] Research in this area holds promise for early identification, intervention, and treatment of individuals at risk for developing diabetes mellitus.

Trends in clinical practice within the past year have been directed toward early diagnosis and treatment of individuals with impaired glucose; generally, those who are obese, sedentary, and elderly. Early diagnosis and management of impaired glucose (fasting glucose levels > 110 mg/dL[10]), is a clinical strategy to delay the onset and progression of diabetes, as well as the development of micro-and macrovascular complications

Metformin dosing:

500 mg twice daily, initially, then titrated every 1-2 weeks, increasing the dosage by 500 mg. If 850 mg tablets are used to initiate therapy, it is begun as once-daily dosing and titrated to a maximum of 850 mg 3 times daily.
Maximum dose 2550 mg in divided doses, lower for elderly patients

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
There are better orals for improving insulin resistance i.e. Actos. Metformin's primary mechanism of action is liver glycogen production. Peripheral cell insulin receptivity is a secondary and malabsorption is a terciary.

MetalMX

MetalMX

Awards
  • Established
Glucose Tolerance Test Results:

GLUCOSE - 3.1-4.5-5.9 (before drinking 75g dextrose, 1hr after, 2hr after)

INSULIN - 2.1-17.9-1.9 (before drinking 75g dextrose, 1hr after, 2hr after)

(Note: At the 2hr mark i felt really hypo and dizzy)

The 17.9 seems really high. Is this normal?

My doctor told me it was normal. But i'm constantly thirsty, constantly urinating and my hunger is hard to control.

BTW jonny21 love your quote my god... true ignorance lol...

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Glucose Tolerance Test Results:

GLUCOSE - 3.1-4.5-5.9 (before drinking 75g dextrose, 1hr after, 2hr after)

INSULIN - 2.1-17.9-1.9 (before drinking 75g dextrose, 1hr after, 2hr after)

(Note: At the 2hr mark i felt really hypo and dizzy)

The 17.9 seems really high. Is this normal?

My doctor told me it was normal. But i'm constantly thirsty, constantly urinating and my hunger is hard to control.

BTW jonny21 love your quote my god... true ignorance lol...
17.9 is wnl. Ranges are usually according to lab but 24 uU/ml is an upper limit that I have seen used. Is it your primary care physician or an endo? I was kind of surprised to see your 2hr was higher than your 1hr. 5.9mmol/L is still wnl but it appears strange that it is higher than your 1hr. My thought process would be that there is decreased 2nd phase insulin release but I would rec'd going to see an endocrinologist as I am just a schmoe from a bobybuilding forum.

MetalMX

MetalMX

Awards
  • Established
Ok thanks yer im a bodybuilding schmo too man. Im 19 trying to do bodybuilding im 6"3 and 240lbs. Bodybuilding for past 1 and a half years but things have gotten bad lately as i have blood sugar problems, low t, low dhea, hypothyroidism, rapid weight gain, muscle loss so im seeing an endo anyway just waiting on full blood work.

My GP told me these results were normal but ill still be taking them to my endo with all my new blood work.

what does wnl mean?

and 24 uU/ml is that the upper range for insulin?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
WNL= within normal limits.

Upper limits depend on the laboratory reference range. some may be 24, others may be 25.