yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Men Have Biological Clocks, Too
Study Adds To Evidence Of Possible Problems With Older Dads

NEW YORK, June 6, 2006
male biologicial clock (AP / CBS)

(CBS) Much is known about the risks of older women having children, but there are new indications that the clock also ticks for men.

It's long been documented that, as a woman ages, her ability to conceive decreases, and the older the mother, the greater the chance of birth defects such as Down syndrome.

Now, as The Early Show medical correspondent Dr. Emily Senay explains, a study adds to the evidence that older fathers are also affected.

She says research published in this week's proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences analyzed DNA damage, chromosomal abnormalities, and gene mutations in sperm samples from almost 100 healthy, non-smoking men between 22- and 80-years-old.

The study found that the genetic quality of sperm decreases as men get older, increasing the risk of infertility, unsuccessful pregnancies, and the inherited abnormality of dwarfism and possibly other genetic diseases.

Earlier research by the same team showed that male reproductive ability gradually worsens with age, as sperm counts decline and the sperm lose mobility and their ability to swim in a straight line, Senay adds. Other studies have shown that fertility problems and damage to sperm cells become more common as a man ages.

A lot of different factors can affect fertility, but men seem to have a gradual, rather than an abrupt change in fertility and the ability to produce healthy babies, Senay says.

There was no correlation found between sperm quality and problems such as Down syndrome.

The research found that the effects of aging differ among different groups of men. Some gene mutations differed between groups of men in different parts of the country. The researchers said that may mean other dynamics, such as socioeconomic or dietary factors or ethnic background may also affect sperm quality.

Senay points out that there has been a dramatic increase in the number of older parents in the last two decades.

Traditionally, the emphasis has been on counseling would-be parents only if the woman is older. But the idea that sperm quality decreases as a man ages underlines the importance of older couples being aware of the risks if they are planning to have a baby.

Screening can be done at a very early stage to detect genetic abnormalities. Experts say pre-natal counseling if either parent is over 40 is probably a good idea.

As for conceiving a child, the science of fertility has come a long way. Many couples young and old who have problems have a wide range of options, depending on the nature of their problem, Senay concludes.

HDLowrider

Awards
I'm sure that's true with some but my dad, God rest his soul, had his last child at 72 with his second wife, who was 29 at the time. :) And he wasn't even rich. :D I'll be happy if I make it to 72.