Meal planning app that lets me say what I like?

theanarchist

Awards
Background: I've been doing IF for a couple years now and I actually REALLY like it from a mental health/productivity standpoint. What I mean is that I find that I'm not hungry and thinking about food and I tend to just get more stuff done when I'm fasting (till about 2:00 in the afternoon - but I stay up late and get up late so it's not as extreme as some might think it is).

However, I'm having trouble staying lean like I used to before I started IF. I used to do the whole 6 meals a day thing but slowly I started skipping the early meals and then hoped on IF because it fits my lifestyle. But it doesn't seem to work for me as far as my fitness goals - I can't seem to really get as lean as I used to.

So for the past few months I've been thinking about why I like it and it really comes down to the fact that with IF I only really have to plan one single meal a day. I kinda space it over a few hours, and when you throw in the first snack and protein shake, and the last bits my eating window is between 6 and 8 hours but only one actual meal. So I think the real reason I like it is because if I'm forced to find food 6 times a day I'm going to end up eating all kinds of **** and/or stressing about what to feed myself.

So that brings me to my question: Does anyone know of an app/site that helps with meal planning where I can say what I like? Because every app I've seen generates these lists of meals full of amazing, unique, and #supertrendy food's that are probably all over pinterest at the moment. But that is the exact opposite of what I want in many ways. I'm imagining something where I select a bunch of stuff I'm willing to eat that week (healthy stuff, I mean, but probably not "Free Range Eggs from chicken's that have Mozart playing, and do yoga at least once a week") and it then says "Ok Simpleton, here's your shitty plan. Don't shoot yourself after a couple days." Ok point is, what I hate is getting a meal plan generated and then having to spend a couple hours figuring out how much of whatever thing I've never eaten in my life equates to something I can find in normal American supermarket.

Anybody seen anything like that?

Much thanks!

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You could just use MyFitnessPal and plug in the foods you like and adjust quantities accordingly to figure out how much you need to fit your calorie goal/need.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The reason you aren't lean is that you are eating too many calories
It doesn't matter if you eat 6 meals a day or 1 meal a day. Total calories why you are not achieving your goal.
As J said above. Use the foods you like, plug them into MFP or another calorie tracking program, and adjust the portions needed to sustain and achieve your goal.

Use the food sources that digest best for you, listen to your body and see what bloats you, and what digests properly.
Use those foods, adjust the amounts to your liking and rinse/repeat. If you can't get lean enough then reduce the calories or slightly up cardio activity. At the end of the day its all a personal preference on your meal frequency and lifestyle to achieve your goals.

I would suggest making a list or journal what foods sit well, what foods cause you to get bloated or GI Distress. Narrow down your list over the span of 2-3 weeks and see what is working well and digesting properly. This way you know moving forward you can generate your own meal plan with those sources, and you won't have any issues with proper digestion. Then its just modifying the portions to suit your goal. When bulking add more, when dieting eat less. Rinse/Repeat

Datsun280z

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Try supercool.com

It takes a few minutes to enter but it gives you recipes from food you have on hand