Maintenance calories

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Tbh I'm not entirely sure how many calories I should be eating. I'm 5'7, 65kg, BMR is 1700-1800 according to boditrax scans, and workout 6 days a week. I've been using my BMR as a basis for working out how much I should eat, be it at BMR, BMR -500 or BMR +500

For me, what should 'maintenance' be and how much would this differ between training days and rest days?

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established
It shouldn't very day to day on training. Your rest days are imortant when eating at +500 or better because that's when you are growing. I just type in calorie maintenance calculator in Google and there are several good ones then Just add or subtract depending on your goal

APC80

APC80

Awards
tdee is your maintenance, bmr is your basal metabolic rate which is how many calories you need if you lay in bed all day and didn't move. You shouldn't go below your bmr when cutting it's unhealthy. 500 below bmr is literally starving yourself. 500 over you're getting closer to maintenance.

You should be probably eating around 2600 calories for a lean bulk but it all depends on how active you are. If you do lots of cardio or have a physical job it's maybe closer to 3000. Up your calories 150 a week till you're gaining weight, you start getting too fat drop them slightly and adjust like this as you go. When weight gain stops go up another 100 a week.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You need to find your TDEE, use a calculator online. Just google search TDEE calculator. However, this is just an estimate. What I would do is see what the calculator says your maintenance is, eat at the for two weeks and see if your weight goes up or down.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
You need to find your TDEE, use a calculator online. Just google search TDEE calculator. However, this is just an estimate. What I would do is see what the calculator says your maintenance is, eat at the for two weeks and see if your weight goes up or down.
Good advice here. It is important to weigh and measure everything as you track it. Checking your weight every morning and tracking your calories for a couple weeks will help you to find your true maintenance calories intake. Everyone is different. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.