Low SHBG: Has anyone with it ever gotten "better" ? Does Fish Oil worsen it?

anyman

Awards
  • Established
Low SHBG: Has anyone with it ever gotten "better" ? Does Fish Oil worsen it?

Curious-

I've read several items noting how low shbg may create issues, some of which might be tough to fix. I also noted Dr. S's chart showing the relationship between shbg and optimal T levels wherein guys w/ low SHBG can often get by w/ lower overall T levels.

Anyone similarly screwed have any experiences. thought or ideas to share?

It there a way to raise it? Can't find much so far.

Also, while I am at it, does anyone have experience with or knowledge of Fish oil keeping shbg down? I take fish oil as it is supposed to be a great thing, but somewhere along the line I stumbled across something indicating that it might lower or depress shbg. I have no proof on this, hence my question.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Curious-

I've read several items noting how low shbg may create issues, some of which might be tough to fix. I also noted Dr. S's chart showing the relationship between shbg and optimal T levels wherein guys w/ low SHBG can often get by w/ lower overall T levels.

Also, while I am at it, does anyone have experience with or knowledge of Fish oil keeping shbg down? I take fish oil as it is supposed to be a great thing, but somewhere along the line I stumbled across something indicating that it might lower or depress shbg. I have no proof on this, hence my question.

I beleive that your body gets to a certain point and then it will regulate its self if induced by an out side natural source. Article saids fish oils are used to keep shbg in check and may lower them, but not probably to a sub normal level..

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
If only could take one supplement..FO would be it.

wondering

Awards
I am not a Dr.

I have read posts from Marianco that increasing SHBG should NOT be a goal unto itself. Instead look for the underlying causes - T lowers it (so maybe too much T being administered), Thyroid hormones raise it (so maybe Hypothyroid), etc.

It's a complx scenario.

SHBG is a clue to other issues. Not the issue itself.

Curious-

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I am not a Dr.

I have read posts from Marianco that increasing SHBG should NOT be a goal unto itself. Instead look for the underlying causes - T lowers it (so maybe too much T being administered), Thyroid hormones raise it (so maybe Hypothyroid), etc.

It's a complx scenario.

SHBG is a clue to other issues. Not the issue itself.
Ok then when my t was 1111 and free t highest range, but having low thyroid, insulin and blood sugar perfect but shbg was 37 and all ways been 17 way before I was sick. Could altered e metabolism be raising it despote e2 is in check..

wondering

Awards
You're over my head now and i do NOT like to speculate.

I drew that tidbit I wrote from a Word file that you actually provided that contined TONS of posts from Marianco. Big wealth of info. Maybe check there?

Ok then when my t was 1111 and free t highest range, but having low thyroid, insulin and blood sugar perfect but shbg was 37 and all ways been 17 way before I was sick. Could altered e metabolism be raising it despote e2 is in check..

anyman

Awards
  • Established
OK, so fish oil is good.Are guys w/ low SHBG doomed or is there hope?

You need fish oil. We all do.
Are people with low shbg unsolvable? Is there hope? What else can be done?

anyman

Awards
  • Established
Tremendously helpful--thank you.

not at all, but you need a doctor that has a clue. see attachment containing some thoughts from Marianco...
That was exactly what I was looking for. Looks like there may be hope after all! I'd love to hear from guys who have overcome this problem.

This has to be beatable. Can't give up trying--or hope.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
You're over my head now and i do NOT like to speculate.

I drew that tidbit I wrote from a Word file that you actually provided that contined TONS of posts from Marianco. Big wealth of info. Maybe check there?

That word document was from me HAHAHA from chip

wondering

Awards
Hardasnails...You had put together a 400 page Word file that had TONS of posts from Marianco. I've been slow at work and been reading it for 2 days. LOL.

Finally, I have gotten my PCP to consult w/ Dr. Crisler. Ran 24 Hour Urine and SHBG test. Just got SHBG 14 (11-80) and Total T 657 (Day 7). I think I am on too much T, plus some complicating factors that hopefully, Dr. Crisler can figure out.

Urine test due any day now. Can't wait for my VOV.

Been 12 years and finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Took 3 months to convince my PCP to call Dr. Crisler. I think he was oncerned that he was some online pill-pusher.

Once he spoke with him he said he was very relieved.. said he obviously knows more about this stuff than he does.

For anyone suffering.. I strongly encourage you to stop expecting for the answers to fly off your computer screen in this forum and heal you. There's tons of helpful people and info to ask good questions, but at the end of the day you need a competent physician. Don't waste anymore of your life... take charge, find a good one or at least an open minded one that is willing to call Dr. C.

THAT SHOULD BE A STICKY !!

anyman

Awards
  • Established
Excellent advice on many levels. Good doctors are hard to find.

Finally, I have gotten my PCP to consult w/ Dr. Crisler. Ran 24 Hour Urine and SHBG test. Just got SHBG 14 (11-80) and Total T 657 (Day 7). I think I am on too much T, plus some complicating factors that hopefully, Dr. Crisler can figure out.

Been 12 years and finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Took 3 months to convince my PCP to call Dr. Crisler. I think he was oncerned that he was some online pill-pusher.

Once he spoke with him he said he was very relieved.. said he obviously knows more about this stuff than he does.

For anyone suffering.. I strongly encourage you to stop expecting for the answers to fly off your computer screen in this forum and heal you. There's tons of helpful people and info to ask good questions, but at the end of the day you need a competent physician. Don't waste anymore of your life... take charge, find a good one or at least an open minded one that is willing to call Dr. C.
Sound advice. I just started with Dr. Shippen. Good man and a good doctor. Like pretty much all of us, I readily admit that I am anxious to see some improvement even though I intellectually understand that the process can take time.

Still, I continue to research and ask questions. I seek to understand what happened and why. I also want to ask better, more informed questions and take part in an eventual recovery. OK, what I really want is to not be bothered by all this nonsense and live a normal life, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards just yet!

Excellent posts and very helpful. If I might, how are you doing with shbg that low and T where it is? Since we appear to share some commonality I'd appreciate any insight and experiences you care to share. Thanks--

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Because I live in Arizona and there is no such thing as "fresh" fish here. lol

I'm picky about that.
I'd bet there are fish as fresh there as with most other places. Trout, catfish, etc should be relatively available. Here in florida even its not like I catch my own, so it still has to get brought in by a boat, then trucked around, etc

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
SHBG, for me, is just like prolactin - These are things that tend to fix themselves when on a proper Dr monitored TRT program. Im agnostic about treating them as seperate issues.

T800

T800

Awards
I know who you are talking about, Dr John and I think he lost the respect of just about everyone that day. I don't think anyone who saw what he posted took him seriously. You need not worry. :)

Sonny

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I know who you are talking about, Dr John and I think he lost the respect of just about everyone that day. I don't think anyone who saw what he posted took him seriously. You need not worry. :)

Sonny
YEP and is losing respect of people from that other board as well !!

Dr when you mention over loaded by androgens when this occurs how long untill the shift takes place on shbg to start to lower 2-3 months

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That is a very nice work.

Let me add these thoughts. I tend to see more trouble in patients who have low SHBG than high. ESPECIALLY in an environment of concurrent elevated estrogens. When SHBG is high, it can be mass action overcome with androgen. But when it is low, I see an association with emotional issues.

Some of you may remember a former patient of mine, active on another Board, who has low SHBG. This gent is so profoundly troubled he, although well tuned withrespect to his hormones--for absolutely no reason whatsoever--decided to make up and post all manner of defamatory comments about me, but then had the nerve to contact me later and ask me for (more, since he never paid me) free medical advice.

Every doctor will be faced with patients with emotional issues. But what bothered me about that guy is that he misrepresented my treatments. lol
Dr John, every time I see someone with severly lowered SHBG, the word "Prior AAS use" pops in my mind.

These AAS guys just don't know what there getting themselves into.

anyman

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. Dr. J. I appreciate your insight into low SHBG and can sympathize w/ you.

Let me add these thoughts. I tend to see more trouble in patients who have low SHBG than high. ESPECIALLY in an environment of concurrent elevated estrogens. When SHBG is high, it can be mass action overcome with androgen. But when it is low, I see an association with emotional issues.

Some of you may remember a former patient of mine, active on another Board, who has low SHBG. This gent is so profoundly troubled he, although well tuned withrespect to his hormones--for absolutely no reason whatsoever--decided to make up and post all manner of defamatory comments about me, but then had the nerve to contact me later and ask me for (more, since he never paid me) free medical advice.
Having low shbg myself I am keenly interested in this issue and how to overcome it as the emotional/mood issues are become increasingly hard to ignore and adjust to. Any suggestions? The more I learn the better patient I can be, or so I hope. I welcome any further comments/suggestions you may have on this.

As for the former patient, that is unfortunate and uncalled for. I doubt very much such could or would have an effect on your well earned reputation. Took a real brass pair to ask for advice AFTER criticizing you. Some people are just nuts....

wondering

Awards
Well, Dr. Crisler - that may be the case with me. SHBG of 14 (11-80) seems low and I have some anxiety issues.

Dying to see what the urine test you recommended comes back with and for our VOV. I hope I am not so difficult a case.

Curious, I have seen Marianco often state that Thyroid can be an issue even if tests come back normal and Adrenal issues are important even if E2 is high. These may be underlying causes of symptoms irrespective of controlling E2.

I imagine Urine test provides you with info on Adenal function, but not Thyroid?

Thanks for your time.

That is a very nice work.

Every doctor will be faced with patients with emotional issues. But what bothered me about that guy is that he misrepresented my treatments. lol

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Hardasnails...You had put together a 400 page Word file that had TONS of posts from Marianco. I've been slow at work and been reading it for 2 days. LOL.

Urine test due any day now. Can't wait for my VOV.

Just got SHBG 14 (11-80) and Total T 657 (Day 7)

I assume that you are on weekly dose of testosterone and draw blood on day of the shot before the shot.
Your TT & SHBG number place you at
FreeT~190
looking at the chart here, post #41:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jans-bloodtest-april13-2.html

That is about middle of desirable range (160-250)

Going by what is in Dr Marianco's post (above Word file) I suggest that you increase frequency of your T&hcg shots
best E2D both shots on the same day, but do not change weekly dose of T.

second best
E3D

SubQ shots around navel, into fat, should slow T delivery and equalize T levels further.

Do not change to transdermal (daily) delivery, to many variables that change with passing time.

wondering

Awards
How am I doing w/ T where it is and low SHBG?...

Not nearly as well as I hoped when I started Test Cyp last November. I do sleep better, but still have some anxiety, low but not crippling energy, NO nocturnal erections and libido issues.

Curious what my E2 will be when test returns and if Dr Crisler thinks that is the answer or if I have underlying Adrenal or Thyroid issues. Hopefully an adjusted course of action in the week or two ahead. Can't wait.

Sound advice. I just started with Dr. Shippen. Good man and a good doctor. Like pretty much all of us, I readily admit that I am anxious to see some improvement even though I intellectually understand that the process can take time.

Still, I continue to research and ask questions. I seek to understand what happened and why. I also want to ask better, more informed questions and take part in an eventual recovery. OK, what I really want is to not be bothered by all this nonsense and live a normal life, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards just yet!

Excellent posts and very helpful. If I might, how are you doing with shbg that low and T where it is? Since we appear to share some commonality I'd appreciate any insight and experiences you care to share. Thanks--

wondering

Awards
Low SHBG and NEVER took steroids.

But, maybe I am on too high test Cyp injections. We'll see what the good Dr. has to say in my appt.

Dr John, every time I see someone with severly lowered SHBG, the word "Prior anabolic steroids use" pops in my mind.

These AAS guys just don't know what there getting themselves into.

anyman

Awards
  • Established
Seems that you are making slow, but steady progress (m)

How am I doing w/ T where it is and low SHBG?...

Not nearly as well as I hoped when I started Test Cyp last November. I do sleep better, but still have some anxiety, low but not crippling energy, NO nocturnal erections and libido issues.

Curious what my E2 will be when test returns and if Dr Crisler thinks that is the answer or if I have underlying Adrenal or Thyroid issues. Hopefully an adjusted course of action in the week or two ahead. Can't wait.
I suspect E2 will be a big factor, but could be totally wrong. Despite the current issues, how far have you come from your worst point? Like you, I've never even touched, much less taken, anything. For me, however, 9 yr ago propecia could be a factor. Who knows? I do note, however, that these issues seem to be exploding. Whether it's due to increased cases, increased attention or both remains to be seen.

I'd like to PM you, but I don't see that you accept that option. Feel free to send me one and/or a way to message you.

wondering

Awards
Transdermal is out. Tried 10mg Androgel and only moved my T to 320.

You may be right about change in dosing, but my PCP is consulting w/ Dr. Crisler, so I will wait to hear what he says and follow his advice. Hopefully I'll hear something next week.

----
Just got SHBG 14 (11-80) and Total T 657 (Day 7)

I assume that you are on weekly dose of testosterone and draw blood on day of the shot before the shot.
Your TT & SHBG number place you at
FreeT~190
looking at the chart here, post #41:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jans-bloodtest-april13-2.html

Going by what is in Dr Marianco's post (above Word file) I suggest that you increase frequency of your T&hcg shots

second best
E3D

SubQ shots around navel, into fat, should slow T delivery and equalize T levels further.

Do not change to transdermal (daily) delivery, to many variables that change with passing time.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

You may be right about change in dosing, but my PCP is consulting w/ Dr. Crisler, so I will wait to hear what he says and follow his advice. Hopefully I'll hear something next week.

----
Dr Marianco's words not mine, when speaking about low SHBG:

More frequent dosing of testosterone may be required to stabilize levels. With testosterone cypionate or enanthate injections, dosing twice a week would be better than once a week.

You can find them in attachment to post#10 on this thread.

T800

T800

Awards
Wow...very interesting thread. My SHBG has been low every time it's been tested (covering a span of about 2 years) and that includes times of not being on TRT (with Total T in the high 200's/low 300's) as well as full-blown T-Cyp/HCG TRT with Total T in the 800's.

I was plagued by anxiety for years although it's been almost a non-issue since going on TRT. My SHBG is always in the teens and my total Chol is also usually low, too. Two important "risk factors", I guess?

The body never ceases to amaze me in its complexity and power.

Sonny

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Hard to say; the issue is further clouded by the fact the SHBG assay is quite unreliable.
So what essay would be very approopiate then?
Biotestosterone be more suitable then shbg ?

T800

T800

Awards
Dr John: How about this?

Can consistently low SHBG (and I stress consistent because of your statement that the assay can be unreliable and hence repeated draws are needed?) be a good predictor to how E2 affects a man mentally?

It seems that some men with high E2 and middle/high SHBG experience things like bloat, itchy nips, etc.

It seems that some men with high E2 and low SHGB are more prone to the mental problems of high E2...anxiety and depression?

I may be way out in left field with this, but I thought I'd toss it out there.

Sonny

onewaypockets

Awards
I would very much like to see the 400page Marianco compilation. Is there a link for it? (And actually his name is Dr. Mariano, the Marianco was just a screen name...I was quickly corrected when I talked to Paulette...a "duh" on my part!)

I see him for the first time mid month...sure hope he can straighten me out.

Thanks for a link or file,

Neil

qwestar

Awards
I am still very new to TRT so why exactly would low SHBG be linked to one having emotional issues?

My last SHBG test was on 5/3/07 and it was 13 (7-44).
Estradiol 76 (less than 52)
Total Test 772 (241-827)
Free Test 2.96 (0.95-4.30)

I would say I have always been an emotional person. I'm sure the estrogen doesn't help either.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I would very much like to see the 400page Marianco compilation. Is there a link for it? (And actually his name is Dr. Mariano, the Marianco was just a screen name...I was quickly corrected when I talked to Paulette...a "duh" on my part!)

I see him for the first time mid month...sure hope he can straighten me out.

Thanks for a link or file,

Neil
Post #45
and remember this file is courtesy of Hardasnails
who got it from .............

also post #55

feel free to peruse the rest of the thread.

anyman

Awards
  • Established
OK, Dr. J, I get the low shbg can relate to emotional issue, but what can we do?

I don't know. I just have seen it in clinical practice.
There does indeed seem to be a correllation between low shbg and emotional issues (just ****ing great....), but what can one actually DO about it? As much as it pains me to ask this, are there things one can take to alleviate the situation? Life should be somewhat enjoyable and not a test of endurance. I am really beginning to wonder why the universe would inflict such things on people just trying to get by.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
There does indeed seem to be a correllation between low shbg and emotional issues (just ****ing great....), but what can one actually DO about it? As much as it pains me to ask this, are there things one can take to alleviate the situation? Life should be somewhat enjoyable and not a test of endurance. I am really beginning to wonder why the universe would inflict such things on people just trying to get by.
My take home message:

1# SHBG is only indicator,

2# one have to first fix the "real" problem, SHBG will then be improved

3# even if improvement is hard to accomplish, if problem area is identified, effort should be made to keep it (the problem area) in steday level as much as possible, variation are reason for disstress.

4# first and only identified problem area (frequently discussed on this board) is need for testosterone supplementation while SHBG is low. Weekly or less often injestions are frequent source of distress. Change to more frequent injections may solve part of the problem. Transdermals may be a better solution, assuming that thyroid problems do not create skin permiability issues.

#5 correction of thyroid may increase SHBG

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
One more reason to never use AAS - You are guaranteed a low SHBG level.

anyman

Awards
  • Established
So true. What stuns me is the people who read our posts & STILL want steroids.

One more reason to never use anabolic steroids - You are guaranteed a low SHBG level.

Amazing. I've never taken any, so my lower shbg may be genetic for all I know. Although--now that I seem up a creek T and hormone wise I admit a tiny portion of me said "hell, why not- how much worse could it get!" for a few seconds before my brain stepped in.

qwestar

Awards
Couldn't agree more, it seems at times that my body is ready to give up. With the limited amount of energy I have, it used to just keep me going day to day. No energy for social life, which kills me because I am only 25 and want more for my life.

wondering

Awards
Gel applied in the AM after showering and blood draw in the afternoon.

Is it possible that even if my T level increased this little that a TD plus HCG would provide good results.

Can't say I enjoy the IM test injections and understand SubQ HCG are an easier pill to swallow.

When did you apply the gel? When was the draw done?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

Is it possible that even if my T level increased this little that a TD plus HCG would provide good results.

Can't say I enjoy the IM test injections and understand SubQ HCG are an easier pill to swallow.
Within 6 hours your TT could have been 700, 850 and back to 750 and up again, if you believe that chart.
Depending on your thyroid and skin permiability it probably could vary some more.

Attachments

wondering

Awards
But my T came back at 320.

Within 6 hours your TT could have been 700, 850 and back to 750 and up again, if you believe that chart.
Depending on your thyroid and skin permiability it probably could vary some more.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
But my T came back at 320.
Dam, I had to skim thru the whole thread.

My understanding, your problems with Androgel are over (who care that it came back 320), since last November you are on T Cypionate and you have wonderful FreeT~190.

If you do not feel right, do not change your weekly T dose, change to E2D schedule.
If still have problems, look for other reasons.

Explain (exactly) when you draw blood.
If you have this really under control, possibly you may want to increase Tcyp by one unit (one tick on syringe), but I rather if you did E2D.
==================================================================

wondering Post #14

JanSz Post#25
FreeT~190
I suggest that you increase frequency of your T&hcg shots

wondering Post #26
I started Test Cyp last November.

wondering Post #29

wondering Post #49

wondering

Awards
reason mentioned was..Dr.John asked when my draw was taken when I was on Androgel. I will be having a VOV with him shortly, so I'm curious what he has to say and will follow instructions.

My results on Test Cyp have NOT been very noteworthy. Seems T is NOT my issue..maybe E2 or other as SHBG is low.

Dam, I had to skim thru the whole thread.

My understanding, your problems with Androgel are over (who care that it came back 320), since last November you are on T Cypionate and you have wonderful FreeT~190.

If you do not feel right, do not change your weekly T dose, change to E2D schedule.
If still have problems, look for other reasons.

Explain (exactly) when you draw blood.
If you have this really under control, possibly you may want to increase Tcyp by one unit (one tick on syringe), but I rather if you did E2D.
==================================================================

wondering Post #14

JanSz Post#25
FreeT~190
I suggest that you increase frequency of your T&hcg shots

wondering Post #26
I started Test Cyp last November.

wondering Post #29

wondering Post #49

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
reason mentioned was..Dr.John asked when my draw was taken when I was on Androgel. I will be having a VOV with him shortly, so I'm curious what he has to say and will follow instructions.

My results on Test Cyp have NOT been very noteworthy. Seems T is NOT my issue..maybe E2 or other as SHBG is low.
Not in my book.

I suggest that you fix as many bad numbers as possible.
Cherish your good T numbers and make effort to keep them where they are.
Consider E2D schedule.

Try to get the Quest test

Estradiol, Free, LC/MS/MS (36169X)
Estrogens, Fractionated, LC/MS/MS (36742X)
Estrogen, Total, Serum (439X)
Testosterone, Free, Bio/Total (LC/MS/MS)
Dihydrotestosterone, Free, Serum (36168X)

That should not stop you from pursuing other aspects of your health.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Looking at that thumbnail, you see why I like 24 hour urines!
I could use some guidance on urine testing as it apply to TRT.