Low carb Rice/oats replacement?

MadJimF

MadJimF

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to low carb for a couple of weeks soon, and wondered what does everyone eat in place of all the rice and/or oats? I searched around a bit on the net, didn't really come up with a good filler food to take the place of rice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
you dont take those carb sources out on a low carb diet, you just eat less of them. No better carb source out there than oats and brown rice

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Unless you are tired of eating them, I wouldn't take out low/moderate gi carbs out of your diet.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I think he is asking for alternatives to brown rice and oats.

You could try sweet potatos.

CROWLER

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
lentils are great because of the fiber, low carb (relatively) and high protein.

Steel cut oats are best for your purposes here, and whole multi-grain hot cereal (made of rye, oat, wheat, and others) are great too!

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Amaranth; Quinoa

Old Wesex makes a kickass 7 grain hot cereal.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I will admit I am not a big diet guy so I don't know about this stuff.

But really there are basically only 3 or 4 kinds of low GI carbs to eat?

CROWLER

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to low carb for a couple of weeks soon, and wondered what does everyone eat in place of all the rice and/or oats? I searched around a bit on the net, didn't really come up with a good filler food to take the place of rice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim
How low of low carb are we talkiing? Ketogenic? If it's ketogenic then I would't bother with "filler food" and get your caloric quota through proteins and healthy fats. If you need a "filler" then you can just cook lean ground beef. :D

if it's not ketogenic then the guys above me covered some bases.

BBAddict

Awards
Like they've said, just cut back on the healthy carbs like brown rice, rolled oats, steel-cut oats, sweet potatoes, etc. You still need the carbs for energy to have good workouts. You can replace some of the cals with healthy fats from things like olive oil, coconut oil, omega fats, natty pb, and the like.