Unanswered Leptin releasing foods?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Was listening to a podcast/interview earlier and it was talking about how he utilizes certain foods that work with your hormones to cause satiety.

He says certain foods when ingested tell the body to release leptin a lot easier than other foods.

He says that carbs.. Ie starches like Pasta ' Spaghetti etc you seem to just consume and you will get to the point your stomach feels very uncomfortable but you just don't feel satisfied.

Then he says he eats one meal a day and has learned from himself and also from clients that certain foods when eaten release leptin a lot more readily and you will feel satiated but not uncomfortable. He mentioned that Vegans (Sorry to any Vegans btw! But just stating what was mentioned) they seem to eat such volume based meals but still when full still want to snack and snack and a lot of the times will say.. Their starving pretty quickly.

He says if he took 1500 calories of spaghetti and 1500 calories of a rib eye. He could eat the spaghetti which is an insane volume of food when cooked and still never feel the leptin signal in his brain. He says the rib eye your body will sense a complete amino acid profile and also fats and will then release leptin a lot easier and use this to stop your hunger signals.

Is this true? I just found it interesting. He did say your body can use stretch receptors in the stomach to determine fullness or through leptin release.

I have noticed this myself tbh. If i was to eat 200g oats with 200g of fruit + some yoghurt (No fat) i also eat until my stomach feels crazily uncomfortable. If i eat say 6+ eggs plus some veggies i get a much better feeling of satiety. Just like i don't want to eat and eat and eat.

So does the human stomach really have such sensitive receptors and know exactly the profile of the food you just took in and if it senses (Even a much smaller volume) that you have in took enough and then will use leptin to help control overeating?

Just found it interesting!

Thanks

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well. For lunch I made about 14oz of chicken breast. When I got to about 8oz, I did not have stomach discomfort, but I was satiated. I didnt have protein in the morning, so I ate beyond satiety, eating the whole thing. Had 2 tbsp olive oil with it, 1.5tbsp butter, and mct creamer with my green tea. Needless to say, I am highly satiated. Was satiated after about 8oz of protein alone.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That isn’t how Leptin works. Leptin is more of a long term hormone for weight regulation.

Protein does have the greatest effect on satiety of the macronutrients (through effects on various hormones, but Leptin isn’t the key in this). That is one of the reasons high(er) protein intakes are recommended for weight loss or just weight control in general.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That isn’t how Leptin works. Leptin is more of a long term hormone for weight regulation.

Protein does have the greatest effect on satiety of the macronutrients (through effects on various hormones, but Leptin isn’t the key in this). That is one of the reasons high(er) protein intakes are recommended for weight loss or just weight control in general.
So more of less attempts to keeps you in homeostasis?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So more of less attempts to keeps you in homeostasis?
Yes, implications for maintaining your set point.

Simple examples being when you bulk Leptin is high so it tells you to eat less and increase energy expenditure. Where as when you cut Leptin is low so it tells you to eat more (aka being hungry) and lower energy expenditure.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yes, implications for maintaining your set point.

Simple examples being when you bulk Leptin is high so it tells you to eat less and increase energy expenditure. Where as when you cut Leptin is low so it tells you to eat more (aka being hungry) and lower energy expenditure.
There a way to change the set point? Such as, sit at a higher weight than one usually sits at for an extended period of time?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
There a way to change the set point? Such as, sit at a higher weight than one usually sits at for an extended period of time?
Theoretically I believe so or like trying to sit at a certain body fat percentage for awhile (so doing maintenance phases at these levels so to speak).