Unanswered Leg training

Cmseabee24

Cmseabee24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
What have some of you guys found best to add mass to your legs? Heavy sets low reps or high volume? What are key exercises? When I first started training I mainly focused on legs and had no problem putting on mass I was out of the gym for a few years but have been going steady the last six months. Just wondering if there’s any benefit to say legs 3 times a week.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Been doing boring but big and I definitely see some size being put on. Especially my legs with squatting

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do find increased frequency is a great way to work on a lagging area or boost results in a group.

Keep in mind you may have to drop the volume a bit in other areas if yuh focus on legs.

Overall though I do tons of squats and variations as well as some of my best results with 2-3 times per week and my legs are my strong point.

Cmseabee24

Cmseabee24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
That’s what I figured I usually hit about 8 to 10 sets with squats. I’ll warm up with 3 sets of 15 with 135 then work my way up and last set I’ll rep out as many as I can with 135 before my form is compromised. I do like Jefferson squats to but the gym I’m at now doesn’t really got much room to do them. Do you switch up each week focus one day on hamstrings then 2 on quads then switch it the next week?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For legs squats will load the spine better than any other lift resulting in more adaptation rep for rep than most other lifts. The problem can be your range of motion and mobility. If you cannot get a full range of motion then you may want to look to other methods. Single dumbbell squats, Bulgarian split squats, machine squats, hack squats, front squats etc. for rep range I have always seen more hypertrophy from a higher rep range. Sets of 15 to 20 absolutely cook my legs, but I always keep sets of 6-10 in the mix as well. If I wanted more strength I would go even lower, 1-5 reps. A lot of the time I do 5-6 for a more power building approach. Really just depends and I like to mix it up. But my overall goals are hypertrophy and I am not currently competing in anything.

As far as how many sessions a week... that depends on your recovery ability, but maybe going through a short phase of higher leg frequency would be beneficial. Maybe a 2-4 week block when you add in another leg day. One day can be heavier loads, one day more moderate with higher rep ranges. Also you can split the sessions into a quad dominate workout and a hamstring dominate one.

Last edited:
EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That’s what I figured I usually hit about 8 to 10 sets with squats. I’ll warm up with 3 sets of 15 with 135 then work my way up and last set I’ll rep out as many as I can with 135 before my form is compromised. I do like Jefferson squats to but the gym I’m at now doesn’t really got much room to do them. Do you switch up each week focus one day on hamstrings then 2 on quads then switch it the next week?
If that method works for you keep doing it, but to me that is ALOT of volume for one movement. I would keep the warm ups shorter, not 45reps, if your trying to hit sets of 10 for instance my warmups would be around 5-6 pyramiding the weight up until I got to a weight I would use for 10, then you can start your working sets from there. This will conserve energy and allow you to push more weight on the sets that count. Your last set with 135 is fine if that method works for you. Those kind of sets are brutal!

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm 6'1 with long ass legs.. I fought with my squat form for years, trying to add weight and get a respectable squat. After years of focusing on squats and straining my back for measly leg development, I dropped them for the last 6 months and have been focusing on DB Bulgarian split squats, hack squats, front squats, glute/ham raises and Romanian deadlifts.. more leg development in the last 6 months than the last 2 years and my back feels great. I think bulgarians have done the most for overall leg development. I had to start with 30lb dumbbells, and this morning I actually hit 4 sets of 6-8 reps with 85's.. they hurt so much but so much bang for your buck.

Cmseabee24

Cmseabee24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Appreciate the feed back. Looks like I’ll add in the split squats. I’m also 5’11 so squatting isnt the most natural movement. I have also started focusing on dead lifting. I guess I’ll give it another 2 months and see where I’m at.

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good luck man.. bulgarians suck but I'm telling you, push through the pain and you'll get some awesome results!

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Appreciate the feed back. Looks like I’ll add in the split squats. I’m also 5’11 so squatting isnt the most natural movement. I have also started focusing on dead lifting. I guess I’ll give it another 2 months and see where I’m at.
Look into hex bar deadlifts, basically a hybrid between the squat and dead. For your height you may do better with those

Cmseabee24

Cmseabee24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Look into hex bar deadlifts, basically a hybrid between the squat and dead. For your height you may do better with those
Just started using it 2 weeks ago. Glad I decided to give it a go. Makes a world of difference. More natural don’t have to reset myself as much. Appreciate all the advice.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just started using it 2 weeks ago. Glad I decided to give it a go. Makes a world of difference. More natural don’t have to reset myself as much. Appreciate all the advice.
No problem man.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Full body. Squat 3 x week. 3 to 5 sets of 5. Add weight or reps each workout.