L-Carnitine in increasing Fat Oxidation

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
L-Carnitine crystalline increases fat oxidation
NewsRx.com

January 08, 2003

Lonza announced that a company sponsored clinical study conducted at the University of Leipzig (Germany) has found that supplementation with L-Carnitine Crystalline significantly increases fatty acid oxidation in healthy adults.

This study is significant because it is the first investigation to conclusively show that oral L-Carnitine Crystalline supplementation stimulates in vivo long chain fatty acid metabolism. Results of this study were published in Metabolism (2002;51(11)1389-1391).

L-Carnitine, a vitamin-like nutrient, occurs naturally in the human body and is essential for turning fat into energy. Due to clinical research, L-Carnitine is already a popular dietary supplement among physically active people who supplement with this nutrient to help with post-exercise recovery. Extensive scientific research indicates that L-Carnitine promotes cardiovascular health and studies also suggest that L-Carnitine may be useful as part of a weight management program.

The present clinical study was conducted under guidance of Detlef Muller. The study investigated the effects of oral L-Carnipure L-Carnitine Crystalline supplementation on in vivo long chain fatty acid oxidation by measuring 1-[13C] palmitic acid oxidation in healthy adults before and after L-Carnipure L-Carnitine Crystalline supplementation (3x1 g/d for 10 days). "We observed a significant increase in 13C02 exhalation, thereby indicating a significant increase in fat oxidation in healthy adults," said Muller.

Andrea O. Schaffhauser, manager scientific affairs & market development, Lonza, Ltd., commented, "part of this study has been presented at the Experimental Biology Meeting in Orlando, Florida, 2001. We, at Lonza, are pleased to now be presenting the full paper of this breakthrough data to the scientific community." According to Muller, "this study is important to all people who exercise, those who undergo a weight management program and those who have a high energy demand."

L-Carnipure L-Carnitine L-Tartrate (U.S. Patent 5,073,376 and other international patents) consists of 68% L-Carnitine and 32% L-tartaric acid. Most recently, L-Carnipure L-Carnitine Crystalline and L-Carnitine L-Tartrate have been self-affirmed as GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe). Being crystalline, white-water-soluble and heat stable, both products are ideal for use in various food and drink applications. This article was prepared by Health & Medicine Week editors from staff and other reports.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Great post....  I was looking for info like that... you read my mind :)

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
i've heard l-carnitene deficiencies are extremely rare in North America, so thats why I had swayed away from it before. Good post!

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Great post....  I was looking for info like that... you read my mind :)
After our previous convo. I decided to find this and post it, I knew I had it and I knew it would help your fat loss product stand also.... enjoy.

p_zub

Awards
is the l-carnitine crystalline the same stuff found commonly in stores in either a free form or in a formula (i.e. Hydroxycut)?

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Took l-carnitine years ago when cutting, I thought it was decent, but nothing I'll buy again. It was highly touted for years and seemed to have fallen out of vogue the past couple of years though. It is cheap though, I'll definitely give it that. Anyone else here try it?

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Its more of a combo supplement, I wouldnt buy it to use alone. When used in conjunction with other things.....its used in things like Hyroxycut for maximum benefits. WYD was working on a new fat burner and I thought this would be a good addition.