Kinesiology project on scientific research, need suggestions

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
Alright, for my kinesiology english class we are practicing powerpoint reviews of scientific studies... I want to do mine on a supplement that isn't very well known throughout the public but shows some serious benefits to increase muscle mass or decrease bodyfat. I originally wanted to go with AA, but the study was 116 pages long and thats why to much for such a small project.

Anyone have any ideas on a "revolutionary" type of supplement that has some scientific research articles showing its effectiveness? I need a study with actual background, methods, hypothesis, data, results, conclusion etc... not some article...

I am still searching around but any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Alright, for my kinesiology english class we are practicing powerpoint reviews of scientific studies... I want to do mine on a supplement that isn't very well known throughout the public but shows some serious benefits to increase muscle mass or decrease bodyfat. I originally wanted to go with AA, but the study was 116 pages long and thats why to much for such a small project.

Anyone have any ideas on a "revolutionary" type of supplement that has some scientific research articles showing its effectiveness? I need a study with actual background, methods, hypothesis, data, results, conclusion etc... not some article...

I am still searching around but any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Sure- type in "Icariin" on Pubmed- Horny Goat Weed is a well known supplement, but Icariin, the main "active" constituent, is fairly unknown to the public :)

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
will do, actually I was thinking about that particular thing... thats funny haha :). Thats the P-SARM in RPM correct?

Any studies that directly relate to weightlifters?

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
will do, actually I was thinking about that particular thing... thats funny haha :). Thats the P-SARM in RPM correct?

Any studies that directly relate to weightlifters?
Not that I can find, unfortunately- Icariin does have scientific documentation of characteristics FAVORABLE to bodybuilders, but none actually on Icariin and weight trainers (I wish!! and I will look harder:) )- outside creatine, pyruvate, and HMB (and several others), there have not actually been that many scientific studies done on the interaction of strength trainers and many of the supplements on the market today.

One of the first things we learned in graduate school is that most sports-science research in the United States is based upon endurance sports, and not weight training- however, this is beginning to change rapidly over the last few years, and I think supplement studies in conjuction with weight training will probably follow suit- it mostly has to do with popularity within the population more than anything......

A lot of the issues occur b/c every study must be approved by an IRB (Institutional Review Board) at a major university before they can take place. The IRB usually consists of lawyers, doctors, and college professors, and their job is to basically decide whether or not the research is ethical, and if the university will run into any type of legal issues b/c of said study....

To get approved, the supplement usually has to have been used by consumers safely on the open market FIRST (before the study even exists), and the supplement is usually also tested by research institutes in countries other than the US.

A lot of IRBs these days are very skittish about these types of studies, b/c of high lawsuit potential and the whole demonization of supplements and steroids by the press.....

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
I would say Beta Alanine would be a good choice. There's lots of scientific research out there, plenty of threads by Athletic Edge explaining many common questions, and I'm sure they would be willing to elaborate on any points if you have any questions.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would say Beta Alanine would be a good choice. There's lots of scientific research out there, plenty of threads by Athletic Edge explaining many common questions, and I'm sure they would be willing to elaborate on any points if you have any questions.
Beta Alanine is an excellent choice...

Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2006 Aug;16(4):430-46. Links
Effect of creatine and beta-alanine supplementation on performance and endocrine responses in strength/power athletes.

* Hoffman J,
* Ratamess N,
* Kang J,
* Mangine G,
* Faigenbaum A,
* Stout J.

Dept. of Health and Exercise Science, The College of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ 08628, USA.

The effects of creatine and creatine plus beta-alanine on strength, power, body composition, and endocrine changes were examined during a 10-wk resistance training program in collegiate football players. Thirty-three male subjects were randomly assigned to either a placebo (P), creatine (C), or creatine plus beta-alanine (CA) group. During each testing session subjects were assessed for strength (maximum bench press and squat), power (Wingate anaerobic power test, 20-jump test), and body composition. Resting blood samples were analyzed for total testosterone, cortisol, growth hormone, IGF-1, and sex hormone binding globulin. Changes in lean body mass and percent body fat were greater (P < 0.05) in CA compared to C or P. Significantly greater strength improvements were seen in CA and C compared to P. Resting testosterone concentrations were elevated in C, however, no other significant endocrine changes were noted. Results of this study demonstrate the efficacy of creatine and creatine plus beta-alanine on strength performance. Creatine plus beta-alanine supplementation appeared to have the greatest effect on lean tissue accruement and body fat composition.