Killer Ab routine

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
This is my routine...its pretty hardcore so you can modify it or whatever, Ive had stellar results with it and so maybe you guys can try it....

Cutting Routine

Day 1:

2 sets weighted leg lifts (15 reps)
2 sets slow crunches (25 reps, flexing abs all the way)
2 sets bicycles (mod. speed, controlled, 50 reps)
2 sets alternating crunches (elbow to opposite knee slow and controlled 25 reps)
2 sets side crunches (back straight on the ground like a normal crunch, rotate hips so your legs are on top of eachother, like you're laying on your side, 25 reps)

Day 2: Same as day 1

Bulking Routine

Day 1:

3 sets crunches (moderate speed, 25 slow reps)
3 sets medicine ball crunches (20 reps)
3 sets medicine ball twists (usually 25-30 reps)

Day 2:

3 sets weighted crunches (35lb dumbell on your chest, on a decline bench and crunch)
3 sets weighted oblique swings (load a barbell with moderate weight, put it on your neck like a squat, sit down and slowly twist from side to side: Make sure you're using your midsection, not momentum)

**Thats it. Some say its overtraining, but you first have to understand the abdominal muscle fibers. If cutting hard, I'll do 3 days of abs. To those who say its overtraining, consider this... I use no weight, only my upper body weight.... would you run more than once or twice a week? Of course. Is that overtraining your calves? No. Same deal with abs. Now when you add weight, its a different story, your abdominals become like your pecs or delts or quads, they must rest.

Some other notes:

- No matter how many days, sets or reps you do, that 6 pack is not going to happen without a low body fat. Around 8% (for me) is when my 6 pack really busts out. It usually various, but pretty close.

- Like Coleman or Cutler's ab program and wanna try it? Go ahead. But remember, They recover MUCH faster than you will....they have "help" and unless you do, I wouldnt try it.

- Easy on the crunches. Go slow, flex them the whole way through, reps isnt the key to abs, concentration and hitting all muscle fibers is.

- You low back. The low back is a under-rated part of abs and strength. A good, strong low back is another key to a 6-pack.

- Cutting gel. Oh boy....wont even mention how worthless this **** is.

- Cardio! Cut your body fat down with cardio, watch the abs come out.

-"Love Handles". These suck if you have them, they're difficult to work, a low BF will eliminate them for the most part

**I know you guys have good ab routines and tips, so you're more than welcome to post yours.......

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
One of the things I have found in the last couple of weeks that has helped my ab routine is one of those excerise balls...makes you have to stay stable and do the ab crunches.. funny thing is, I started rehab this week for my back and guess what most of the work I am doing is on one of those damn balls...

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
One of the things I have found in the last couple of weeks that has helped my ab routine is one of those excerise balls...makes you have to stay stable and do the ab crunches.. funny thing is, I started rehab this week for my back and guess what most of the work I am doing is on one of those damn balls...
I love swiss balls

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
thats a good looking ab workout man. hitting all angles with a good range of reps and use of resistance in the weights you are using for both routines. i personally though, do not have a laid out ab routine. I do em every other workout (the days without abs, i usually run a little) but hit up some sets of similar exercises after lifting or towards the end of the routine, between my last few sets. works...haha:p