Jjohn's IDFA Preparation

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
SO!! After finishing 5th place in this year's IDFA show, I am preparing to hit the stage again next year. Last weekend I weighted in at 183.8 lbs after a very substantial cut, and aim for 195 next year. I will be working on more definition around the shoulders and legs mostly. I will be putting up my supplement, training and diet regimen on here.

Having followed a very low carb diet, I am slowly reintegrating my carbs into my diet in order to keep fat gain to a minimum and keep a rested body slowly increasing calories and workout load. Keeping this log current ain't no easy task for a busy guy so any comments and encouragment words are welcome!
SD Pharmaceuticals are helping me with my contest prep this year with some of their products, so expect me to drop a couple thanks and obviously I will be providing feedback on their products as well. I have been on these forums for quite awhile, and have seen it's evolution. Hopefully there is still good quality folks around here who will remember me :)

Weight today: 191.8 lbs

Training today:

Superset 1
Side Lateral Pitcher Raises 5 x 20
Dumbell Press 5 x 10

Superset 2
Rope Pushdown 5 x 20
Lying Dumbell Extension 5 x 10

Superset 3
Bench Leg Raises 5 x 10
Hanging Knee Raises 5 x 10

I don't feel like posting the weights I lifted, since it doesn't mean much. Really this is a bodybuilding show, not a strength competition. Technique is #1. I usually go for 40 seconds of time under tension, so you can do the math :)

Supplements today:
Pharmafreak VitaFreak, GH Freak, Test Freak, Anabolic Freak
Dr Jekyll (pre workout)
Allmax Aminocore (intra workout)

Water intake: 3 litres.

As a personal trainer, I do have a coach, because anyone who competes knows the mental toughness required to get through some points in the prep. Jean Jacques Barrett from la Bat Cave has been coaching me for the last 8 months. Really great guy and we will work together for a long time!

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
All right so here we are, about 3 weeks post competition.

Many struggle with the weight gain during this period, and this part of the competition can damage many people's motivation, and physique. I have maintained a cheat meal per week only, and been dieting a little higher than pre competition, in order to slowly increase my bmr without ruining what I have been working so hard for. I have to admit I still see my water blanket over my abs, so I won't be having any cheat meals for the next couple weeks to try to make that subside. Salt intake is the same now as it was pre competition, so it obviously won't help, but forcing the body to adapt back to where it was is the best strategy. I wouldn't want to cut sodium, make the water retention subside, then reintroduce sodium only to find that I have lots of water again.

My weight today: 200.0 lbs (16.2 lbs over stage weight)

I am happy with my weight and very meticulous about my waist size, which I try not to let go overboard.

I will update more frequently as time comes, since the post competition requires a lot of rest and I have tried to spend time with my family as much as possible, as I have not been there for them pre contest.

Supplements wise I will be stimulant free for May. Yes you heard me. I will be cutting stimulants for a month. Being natural is all about personal dedication to the sport and this is a little challenge I have given myself. I have added Hemodraulix and X-Factor to my arsenal in order to increase lbm and have a little something to look forward to as a pre workout boost.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Took my blood tests yesterday to see where my test levels etc. are now.

I weighted in today, and have been eating quite a lot of almond butter, sunflower seed butter for fat source, and added some organic lamb. I was 202.6. So for the next week or two I will keep protein high, but replace all these butters by coconut oil, and avocado oil. That should create a small deficit. My waist gained a little bit of size, so for the next 2 weeks I will try to go back down to 198, just by these small modifications. I am still at:

280g. protein
140g. carbs(this week I am increasing to 150)
70g. fat.

I was exceeding a little bit the fat intake, so back to xlean beef and less nut butter for the next 2 weeks. During all these years, I have learned that gaining mass with the least amount of fat is best. Especially when competing.

I will be adding 10g. carbs a day every week to bring the calories up while minimizing fat gain. Bringing my bmr high up there is the goal for the next 6-9 months. My ultimate goal will be 34.75 inch waist, more muscle obviously and the following calorie intake:

280g. protein
350g. carbs
70g. fat

Lets see if I can make the 198 happen!