Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I stayed below 20 carbs a day for 30 days and lost 32 pounds! I did lift 4 days a week and one day of cardio
If you ate the same amount of calories from carbs instead of fat you would have still lost the same amount of weight. At the end of the day all that matters is you stuck to a plan and did the work. Don't give keto the credit, give yourself the credit

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you ate the same amount of calories from carbs instead of fat you would have still lost the same amount of weight. At the end of the day all that matters is you stuck to a plan and did the work. Don't give keto the credit, give yourself the credit
I would agree with this.

charly11

charly11

Awards
The keto diet is terrible (for me), I have never felt so bad. I don't deny that it's effective, but it's certainly not good for health

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The keto diet is terrible (for me), I have never felt so bad. I don't deny that it's effective, but it's certainly not good for health
Just curious to how long you were on keto?
Did you track your food?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
Ive never been a fan of fad diets. At the end of the day, carbs are good, just don't go nutz. My macros are approx. 40/30/30. I consume almost zero sugar, not chips/junk, lots of vegies, some fruit, cottage cheese, lots of eggs, variety of meats.
I find eating healthy pretty strait forward, the idea of ripping out carb for keto is pretty extrema. If I want to gain weight, I up my cals, if I want to drop I lower them. I don't need a fad diet to stay lean or to loose/gain weight.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ive never been a fan of fad diets. At the end of the day, carbs are good, just don't go nutz. My macros are approx. 40/30/30. I consume almost zero sugar, not chips/junk, lots of vegies, some fruit, cottage cheese, lots of eggs, variety of meats.
I find eating healthy pretty strait forward, the idea of ripping out carb for keto is pretty extrema. If I want to gain weight, I up my cals, if I want to drop I lower them. I don't need a fad diet to stay lean or to loose/gain weight.
Well put !

kevinadams

kevinadams

Awards
The keto diet is a low carb, moderate protein and high-fat diet. It has many followers because it is an effective way of losing weight and reducing risk factors for a number of diseases including diabetes and heart disease. However, there are also many people who are opposed to the diet as they believe it is not a healthy way of eating. With the rise in popularity of the keto diet, many individuals have started to question whether keto is just another fad diet. Read on to learn more about the keto diet, its benefits, side effects, and the science behind it.

DeloresHardin

DeloresHardin

Awards
It is obvious that the world "diet" supposes smth bad. The best option is just to eat everything that a human body needs and in limits.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There is no "One Size Fit's All" nutrition plan !!

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
A low-carb, moderate-protein, high-fat diet is the ketogenic diet. Because it is a successful method for losing weight and lowering risk factors for a variety of illnesses, such as diabetes and heart disease, it has a large following.
no ****? well thanks for that very obvious informative information. i bet nobody even knew what keto is? smdh lol

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keto= Arctic Explorer diet, Mountain Man diet, etc.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There’s several people on this forum that totally down the keto diet and for various reasons. I don’t think it’s a fad diet at all. I think it’s just a diet that is not for everyone. Lawrence Ballinger claims to eat keto. It works for him along with others and others it doesn’t work for.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hi
Have a nice day!
Yes, first of all, you need to walk and do a little exercise every day. It will be running for one or four weeks. And then you can feel better. Just take proper food from time to time. That's will be ok.
tf you babblin about?

seanmitchell12

Awards
Jillian Michaels Urges Fans to Stay Away From the Keto Diet!

""The reason that keto has been getting so much attention is because it helps significantly to manage your insulin levels. Very high insulin, very bad thing," she explained. Because of this, keto works well for people who struggle with high insulin levels, especially those with polycystic ovary syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and infertility, but it's not appropriate for most people, she said. "If you’re not eating a bunch of processed carbs and processed sugar and you’re not eating too much food in general, you won’t have insulin levels that are going through the roof,” she explained."

"Her advice? The same as it's always been: "Just work out, eat clean, and don't overeat," she emphasized. "I promise you: Balanced diet—it's that simple."

Is she correct?
Jillian Michaels has a point that the ketogenic (keto) diet may be beneficial for individuals with high insulin levels or certain medical conditions, such as polycystic ovary syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and infertility. However, she also emphasizes that keto is not appropriate for most people and that a balanced diet is key. It is true that a diet rich in processed carbohydrates and sugars can cause spikes in insulin levels, leading to negative health effects. However, a balanced diet that includes a variety of whole foods can help regulate insulin levels naturally. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before making any significant changes to your diet.

Leary942

Awards
I would classify it as a fad. But keep in mind just because something is a "fad" doesn't mean it doesn't work. With ketosis in particular, you will lose weight pretty fast, it's just most of it in the beginning is water from your glycogen stores being depleted. Ketosis for fat people will look different from ketosis in physically fit people. It's the latter that will probably not like it much, because they'll notice their muscles will look flat. Whereas fat people probably think they're losing weight because their bellies look less bloated.

I venture to guess it probably would help with blood sugar control as well. "Don't eat sugar, don't get blood sugar" kind of motto. Nevertheless I would stop short of saying this "cures" diabetes or insulin resistance. The problem is how these people metabolize sugar. It's a metabolic dysfunction, and simply quitting carbohydrate won't change this. Because whenever they decide to abandon their restrictive eating practices, they'll start swelling up again. Getting glucose inside the cell to be oxidized via phosphorylation should be the ultimate goal to cure insulin resistance. Not simply refraining from glucose. To do this you got to increase the ratio of NAD to NADH, increase thyroid, cleanse the liver, increase your androgens, etc.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would classify it as a fad. But keep in mind just because something is a "fad" doesn't mean it doesn't work. With ketosis in particular, you will lose weight pretty fast, it's just most of it in the beginning is water from your glycogen stores being depleted. Ketosis for fat people will look different from ketosis in physically fit people. It's the latter that will probably not like it much, because they'll notice their muscles will look flat. Whereas fat people probably think they're losing weight because their bellies look less bloated.

I venture to guess it probably would help with blood sugar control as well. "Don't eat sugar, don't get blood sugar" kind of motto. Nevertheless I would stop short of saying this "cures" diabetes or insulin resistance. The problem is how these people metabolize sugar. It's a metabolic dysfunction, and simply quitting carbohydrate won't change this. Because whenever they decide to abandon their restrictive eating practices, they'll start swelling up again. Getting glucose inside the cell to be oxidized via phosphorylation should be the ultimate goal to cure insulin resistance. Not simply refraining from glucose. To do this you got to increase the ratio of NAD to NADH, increase thyroid, cleanse the liver, increase your androgens, etc.
it aint no damn fad i remember people doing it in mid 90s fads dont hang around like that dude smdh

Leary942

Awards
it aint no damn fad i remember people doing it in mid 90s fads dont hang around like that dude smdh
Since when does something have to be new to be a fad? A fad is not something that doesn't work. A fad is something that lacks enough scientific data to be considered a recommendation. Furthermore their popularity rises and falls in waves. That's because people get excited about a new thing and then quickly lose interest. Look at all those IF trends. This also directly describes what the ketogenic diet is. At the end of the day cutting carbs IS cutting calories, and regardless of what you end up cutting, people lose weight.

Furthermore there can be some nasty side effects from going into prolonged ketosis. I'm not exactly a big believer in the "cholesterol theory" of disease, but I've seen these trendies on YouTube post lipid pannels before/after going on keto diets. Nearly everyone has a rise in cholesterol, some of them being quite substantial. I don't care what anyone says, when someone's cholesterol is like 300, 350, 400, even upwards of 500 mg/dl you better correct that. It's not a non-issue.

Other people can experience bowel irregularities, or excessive fatigue. One of the worst sides is the fact you can get gassed way to easily while at the gym. Carbohydrates are needed to fuel strenous exercise. Even most of the keto gurus will end up admitting this. When you read at what these promoters say about sugar, or really just carbohydrate in general, it becomes abduantly clear they're promoting fads because it's just not scientifically factual to tell entire demographics of people to eat a certain way.

I would call most things fads, especially when they tell people to omit a particular food group or follow a certain macro ratio. The only thing that wouldn't classify as a fad would be telling people to eat clean and apply CICO to weight loss (or bulking) strategies. Everything else is really subjective to how to makes the individual feel.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Did anyone know that Arnold’s Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding had a section on ketosis as a weight loss method. That book was published in 1985. There’s also several body builders that use forms of keto, Lawrence Ballenger being one of them.

Also, the keto diet has been around since the 1920’s as a treatment for epilepsy. Would something be considered a fad if it’s been around for 100 years?

Last edited:

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Since when does something have to be new to be a fad? A fad is not something that doesn't work. A fad is something that lacks enough scientific data to be considered a recommendation. Furthermore their popularity rises and falls in waves. That's because people get excited about a new thing and then quickly lose interest. Look at all those IF trends. This also directly describes what the ketogenic diet is. At the end of the day cutting carbs IS cutting calories, and regardless of what you end up cutting, people lose weight.

Furthermore there can be some nasty side effects from going into prolonged ketosis. I'm not exactly a big believer in the "cholesterol theory" of disease, but I've seen these trendies on YouTube post lipid pannels before/after going on keto diets. Nearly everyone has a rise in cholesterol, some of them being quite substantial. I don't care what anyone says, when someone's cholesterol is like 300, 350, 400, even upwards of 500 mg/dl you better correct that. It's not a non-issue.

Other people can experience bowel irregularities, or excessive fatigue. One of the worst sides is the fact you can get gassed way to easily while at the gym. Carbohydrates are needed to fuel strenous exercise. Even most of the keto gurus will end up admitting this. When you read at what these promoters say about sugar, or really just carbohydrate in general, it becomes abduantly clear they're promoting fads because it's just not scientifically factual to tell entire demographics of people to eat a certain way.

I would call most things fads, especially when they tell people to omit a particular food group or follow a certain macro ratio. The only thing that wouldn't classify as a fad would be telling people to eat clean and apply CICO to weight loss (or bulking) strategies. Everything else is really subjective to how to makes the individual feel.
bro tf wrong with you? a fad is a short lived craze over something new. you slow or what?

an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.
"prairie restoration is the latest gardening fad in the Midwest"

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Did anyone know that Arnold’s Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding had a section on ketosis as a weight loss method. That book was published in 1985. There’s also several body builders that use forms of keto, Lawrence Ballenger being one of them.

Also, the keto diet has been around since the 1920’s as a treatment for epilepsy. Would something be considered a fad if it’s been around for 100 years?
thank you!!!

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
bro tf wrong with you? a fad is a short lived craze over something new. you slow or what?

an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.
"prairie restoration is the latest gardening fad in the Midwest"
even 5 or 10 years wouldnt be considered a fad

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

brand new poster that likes to do LONG babbling posts and with that im smarter than you language? hmmmmmmm i just read some of your other posts. could it be? nah surely not?..................but im thinking..............hmmmmmmmm.................HEEEEES BAAAAAAAACK!!! bet!!!
edit: just read a few more posts. 100% sure that you ARE you!!! everybody knows EXACTLY what im talkin about if yaw are bored go read those posts n tell me that aint him!

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This was one helluva fad! What a great time to be alive!…..If JNCO came back with a barbell on the ass they just might have something!

IMG_7206.JPG

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

There is one person that I teach my diabetic clients about, his name is William Banting. Low carb/keto back in the 1800's

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There is one person that I teach my diabetic clients about, his name is William Banting. Low carb/keto back in the 1800's

Wow I didn’t realize Keto went back that far. I know there’s a lot of people that don’t agree with Keto or low carb dieting but if you think about it, body builders basically do cyclic keto when they’re dieting for a show. They take carbs out and put them back in several times until show day. They may not be in full ketosis but it’s still basically cyclic keto. Personally, I did the keto diet about 7 years ago for 8 months and my energy level has never been that high. It took care of several medically ailments I had as well.

Last edited:

Leary942

Awards
Wow I didn’t realize Keto went back that far. I know there’s a lot of people that don’t agree with Keto or low carb dieting but if you think about it, body builders basically do cyclic keto when they’re dieting for a show. They take carbs out and put them back in several times until show day. They may not be in full ketosis but it’s still basically cyclic keto. Personally, I did the keto diet about 7 years ago for 8 months and my energy level has never been that high. It took care of several medically ailments I had as well.
There's also that natty bodybuilder from the 30s Shawn Baker mentioned. I can't remember his name but he mentioned him on his Joe Rogan pod episode. The guy's diet basically consisted of eggs & steak. So there's definitely nothing new to this idea. And a lot of those older 19th century medical texts also endorsed sugar restricting from certain aliments. Of course, what a lot of people seem to neglect is the fact "fructose therapy" was also utilized in the late 19th century to treat diabetes. It wasn't until the early 20s that when insulin came along, both ideas sort of faded into the periphery.

Removing the carbs is a great way to shed water retention and looking good from an aesthetic perspective. I do think, however, you'll find that most professional bodybuilders will always eat plenty of carbohydrates during bulk. It's simply easier to grow with them, and you won't be wasting too much protein through the gluconeogenesis cycle, which ultimately leaves more available for muscle synthesis.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There's also that natty bodybuilder from the 30s Shawn Baker mentioned. I can't remember his name but he mentioned him on his Joe Rogan pod episode. The guy's diet basically consisted of eggs & steak. So there's definitely nothing new to this idea. And a lot of those older 19th century medical texts also endorsed sugar restricting from certain aliments. Of course, what a lot of people seem to neglect is the fact "fructose therapy" was also utilized in the late 19th century to treat diabetes. It wasn't until the early 20s that when insulin came along, both ideas sort of faded into the periphery.

Removing the carbs is a great way to shed water retention and looking good from an aesthetic perspective. I do think, however, you'll find that most professional bodybuilders will always eat plenty of carbohydrates during bulk. It's simply easier to grow with them, and you won't be wasting too much protein through the gluconeogenesis cycle, which ultimately leaves more available for muscle synthesis.
But body builders still cycle carbs when preparing for a show and that’s nothing more than cyclic keto. Keto isn’t a fad.

Leary942

Awards
But body builders still cycle carbs when preparing for a show and that’s nothing more than cyclic keto. Keto isn’t a fad.
Not exactly, it's professionals understanding physiology and recognizing the best ways to tune their bodies before a show. This is quite different from shills and book authors pitching dietary advice to millions of normal people without any desire to prep themselves for a show. It seems there is a misconception about what a fad is. It literally has nothing to do with what you eat, it's how the idea is pitched. And more importantly, who the target demographic is.

People like Gary Taubes, Mark Sisson, or Shawn Baker aren't trying to reel in professional bodybuilders. They know that's a lost cause because the bodybuilders already know more than they do, lol. Most of them, if not all of them, also already look better and have better bodies than they do. These people specifically target overweight, working class westerners who are dealing with chronic issues and promising a quick fix for it. While choosing to gloss over, if not entirely ignore, the aspects regarding it's difficulty to maintain, lack of scientific data, and adverse effects on blood work. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9294402/

Also I don't mean to pick on Taubes, Sisson, or Baker. Those are just the pushers that come to mind, they were popular back in my day. I don't keep track with who's popular in the low-carb spehere. But the profile can be applied to pretty much anyone. These people's target demographic isn't the guys who already look good. Bodybuilders harnessing ketosis to fine tune their physique doesn't really change the "faddness" behind how these diets rise and fall in public relations. Or the fact most people don't stick with it long-term.

Again, I would like to reiterate that fads are not hoaxes. It just a cultural phenomenon of overly zealous people (usually book authors making money) aggressivevly pushing dietary practices that are extremly hard to maintain in long term on desperate people with weight issues or health problems. They promise quick changes when they remove "x, y, z" from their diets, usually lacking rigorous scientific evidence, and may also cause adversed reactions in some people. Case in point, with ketoers it's typically their lipids that get blasted.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not exactly, it's professionals understanding physiology and recognizing the best ways to tune their bodies before a show. This is quite different from shills and book authors pitching dietary advice to millions of normal people without any desire to prep themselves for a show. It seems there is a misconception about what a fad is. It literally has nothing to do with what you eat, it's how the idea is pitched. And more importantly, who the target demographic is.

People like Gary Taubes, Mark Sisson, or Shawn Baker aren't trying to reel in professional bodybuilders. They know that's a lost cause because the bodybuilders already know more than they do, lol. Most of them, if not all of them, also already look better and have better bodies than they do. These people specifically target overweight, working class westerners who are dealing with chronic issues and promising a quick fix for it. While choosing to gloss over, if not entirely ignore, the aspects regarding it's difficulty to maintain, lack of scientific data, and adverse effects on blood work. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9294402/

Also I don't mean to pick on Taubes, Sisson, or Baker. Those are just the pushers that come to mind, they were popular back in my day. I don't keep track with who's popular in the low-carb spehere. But the profile can be applied to pretty much anyone. These people's target demographic isn't the guys who already look good. Bodybuilders harnessing ketosis to fine tune their physique doesn't really change the "faddness" behind how these diets rise and fall in public relations. Or the fact most people don't stick with it long-term.

Again, I would like to reiterate that fads are not hoaxes. It just a cultural phenomenon of overly zealous people (usually book authors making money) aggressivevly pushing dietary practices that are extremly hard to maintain in long term on desperate people with weight issues or health problems. They promise quick changes when they remove "x, y, z" from their diets, usually lacking rigorous scientific evidence, and may also cause adversed reactions in some people. Case in point, with ketoers it's typically their lipids that get blasted.
once again you are wrong starscream smdh

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

No

Leary942

Awards
As a addendum I just like to point out people should use whatever intervention yields them results. That includes ketosis. I don't take issue with the dietary intervention. I'm more concerned about people who push it as a cure all to desperate individuals who may not feel well while applying it, but due to what they've been told, they push onward. As for everyone who's experienced positive results with low-carb diets there is equally as many (maybe more) that have had bad results. And when the koolaid cult aggressively tells them they "weren't doing it right" or they "didn't do it long enough" or whatever other excuse they come up with....that's when it can get dangerous.

I'm curious, you guys know who Shawn Baker is right? That keto/carnivore guy on Youtube? What do you think his response would be to someone who said his dietary advice wasn't helping him? Do you think Shawn would work with him or her, helping them to find a program that does work? Or do you think he'd just cut them off? I think I already know the answer to that considering some of the things him and his audience say to their critics. Not that I think people should be taking advice from him anyways, the guy has hypogonadism (from his diet) and was actually dumb enough to post the bloods to prove it. But it just goes to show herd mentality is a thing, and sometimes, it can have consequences.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As a addendum I just like to point out people should use whatever intervention yields them results. That includes ketosis. I don't take issue with the dietary intervention. I'm more concerned about people who push it as a cure all to desperate individuals who may not feel well while applying it, but due to what they've been told, they push onward. As for everyone who's experienced positive results with low-carb diets there is equally as many (maybe more) that have had bad results. And when the koolaid cult aggressively tells them they "weren't doing it right" or they "didn't do it long enough" or whatever other excuse they come up with....that's when it can get dangerous.

I'm curious, you guys know who Shawn Baker is right? That keto/carnivore guy on Youtube? What do you think his response would be to someone who said his dietary advice wasn't helping him? Do you think Shawn would work with him or her, helping them to find a program that does work? Or do you think he'd just cut them off? I think I already know the answer to that considering some of the things him and his audience say to their critics. Not that I think people should be taking advice from him anyways, the guy has hypogonadism (from his diet) and was actually dumb enough to post the bloods to prove it. But it just goes to show herd mentality is a thing, and sometimes, it can have consequences.
As a addendum? yeah guys definately HIM!!! omg!!!

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm sorry if I offended you some way. That was not my intention, I am new to the forum, and not whoever you think I am. But if this is a topic I shouldn't be talking about then by all means let me know, and I won't talk about it.
dude you have offended SO MANY!!! SMDH!!!