Is cottage cheese protein just as good as beef or chicken?

yelis300

yelis300

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering if I could get away from the chicken/beef/eggs for a while and eat lots of cottage cheese instead. It's got tons of slow digesting casein in it so wouldn't this be just as good as eating chicken or beef? Any thoughts welcome.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I honestly try to keep dairy out of the diet as much as possible. Casein (calcium in it specifically) can/will block other nutrients from being absorbed alongside it. Night time is best time for it. If you take ZMK at night, take it an hour before you have casein/dairy.

Lean protein alongside a nutritious meal is best during the day. I wouldn't be eating dairy to get the majority of your protein in. Aim for it to be the smallest source of protein in your diet.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I honestly try to keep dairy out of the diet as much as possible. Casein (calcium in it specifically) can/will block other nutrients from being absorbed alongside it. Night time is best time for it. If you take ZMK at night, take it an hour before you have casein/dairy.

Lean protein alongside a nutritious meal is best during the day. I wouldn't be eating dairy to get the majority of your protein in. Aim for it to be the smallest source of protein in your diet.
thats not 100% true. Dairy is a great source of protein regardless of when you use it, it does not just need to be had before bed. The casein and before thing is a huge myth. If you meet protein intake in the 24 hour period that is what matters most, not when you eat X or Y. Meeting protein intake and minimums is what matters most. If you eat cottage cheese or steak before bed it wont matter.

People use whey protein all day long and guess what is is heavily processed and forms of dairy.
While cottage cheese is a good source you should always strive for variety do not slave yourself to just one thing
it is loaded with sodium, but again always try to get all forms of beef, turkey, chicken, eggs for the amount of micronutrients in the various forums, saturated fat, vitamins from the whole eggs, and fish for omega 3's.

i agree it should not be the largest part of your diet, but forms of yogurt are great for probiotics and healthy vitamins, minerals, casein, and vitamin D/Calcium.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thats not 100% true. Dairy is a great source of protein regardless of when you use it, it does not just need to be had before bed. The casein and before thing is a huge myth. If you meet protein intake in the 24 hour period that is what matters most, not when you eat X or Y. Meeting protein intake and minimums is what matters most. If you eat cottage cheese or steak before bed it wont matter..
I only suggested to take casein before bed so that it won't affect nutrient/supplement absorption. Steak is even better!!

Too much dairy is not a good thing. Excessive calcium can cause nutrient deficiencies, plus there's plenty of good vegetable sources of calcium.

Excess dairy can also cause you to hold water. Even if you aren't lactose intolerant, dairy allergies (of varying degrees) are very prevalent.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
whey protein all day long and guess what is is heavily processed and forms of dairy.
Whey protein does not have any milk solids in it. I wouldn't compare it to cottage cheese / dairy in this thread.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i agree it should not be the largest part of your diet, but forms of yogurt are great for probiotics and healthy vitamins, minerals, casein, and vitamin D/Calcium.
Kombucha!! It's what I drink now instead of yogurt, with same benefits, if not more.

I challenge anyone to remove grains and dairy from their diet for 2-3 months and see what happens.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Whey protein does not have any milk solids in it. I wouldn't compare it to cottage cheese / dairy in this thread.
If whey protein does not have any milk solids in it, then why do lactose intolerant people have bad reactions to whey protein? The only whey they could take is whey isolate because it is 100% dairy free and voided of all lactose.

One of the parts is called curds. The curds are used to make cheese, leaving behind whey protein in the liquid portion. This liquid whey is then pasteurized and dried into a powder for various uses

cheese would be a form of dairy and has properties of milk being a dairy based product.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If whey protein does not have any milk solids in it, then why do lactose intolerant people have bad reactions to whey protein? The only whey they could take is whey isolate because it is 100% dairy free and voided of all lactose.

One of the parts is called curds. The curds are used to make cheese, leaving behind whey protein in the liquid portion. This liquid whey is then pasteurized and dried into a powder for various uses

cheese would be a form of dairy and has properties of milk being a dairy based product.
Good point. The only whey protein I use is isolate or hydrolyzed whey, so I guess I overlooked that. I like my protein blends though, but I keep them for the evening since I'm too lazy to cook steak before bed! :)

yelis300

yelis300

Awards
  • Established
Ok well I can do 1 meal with cottage cheese, another with Greek yogurt maybe. Just looking for some "different" forms of good protein other than the staples like chicken eggs fish beef steak. As I'm sure you all know, it gets old eating the staples and I don't want to rely on powder or protein bars. Just want to try and get a break from the usual stuff.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Ok well I can do 1 meal with cottage cheese, another with Greek yogurt maybe. Just looking for some "different" forms of good protein other than the staples like chicken eggs fish beef steak. As I'm sure you all know, it gets old eating the staples and I don't want to rely on powder or protein bars. Just want to try and get a break from the usual stuff.
use different seasonings, spices, and include them with different things
Peppers/Onions in a stirfry
make homemade alfredo sauce (almond milk, low fat cheese, and fat free cream cheese)
homemade sweet n sour sauce with ketchup, BBQ, vinegar, brown sugar splenda, lemon juice)
etc...

Plenty of ways to spice up your foods and never get bored of them.

yelis300

yelis300

Awards
  • Established
I know, I need to get some recipes going. I've learned how to cook up some basic meals and that got me far but I need to take it up a few notches now I think. I almost want to go to cooking school just so I can make some better tasting food.

yelis300

yelis300

Awards
  • Established
Wow, lots of good recipes in the cooking with whey thread. I don't have any excuses now. Time to get cooking. Gonna sign up to the solution YouTube channel now. Thanks

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Wow, lots of good recipes in the cooking with whey thread. I don't have any excuses now. Time to get cooking. Gonna sign up to the solution YouTube channel now. Thanks
Wise choice!