Investing in knee wraps.

Mr Giggles

Awards
What do you guys think about using knee wraps purely for periodic increases in overloading and stability?

I am using knee sleeves at the moment, but my hypertrophy block has literally destroyed my legs at the moment and I still have 6 weeks left before I enter my deload then peak. The knee sleeves (sbd) are not cutting it at the moment.

My competition is strictly raw, so no knee wraps. But, I hear people say they use knee wraps even in raw training for the increased overload and compression/stability.

I'm pretty much textbook wide stance upright high bar squatter so I don't think the wraps will change the groove that much.

What do you guys think? thanks!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think you need to address what in your program is overwhelming your knees to this degree, that you’d consider inducing additional compressive forces that pull the kneecap in unnatural alignment to try to continue training.

Knee wraps weaken the knee over time. It’s a known fact. So if you’re not competing in them, or it’s not for one single session as a one-time band aid to finish the training block, it’s not worth it.

Maybe, if you use something seriously soft and a very mild wrap job, purely for compression, you could get away without causing more harm to beat up knees. BUT I would say you overdid the total volume and could use a slight deload before moving into the strength block. Maybe even only heavily deload lower this week if upper is feeling great.

Generally my rule is unless I’m 3-4 weeks out from a comp and I need to start setting the peak, if something is hurting you need to back off. Only right before comp will I sack up and resort to things like Equiblock, compression/floss wrapping, extra sleeves, DMSO, NSAIDs. Those are bandages masking a problem that will bite you hard if you ignore it too long.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’d just say that I agree pretty much with everything Hyde said.

While knee wraps can have a place even in a raw prep, this situation doesn’t seem to be where I would recommend them.