Unanswered Interesting find about Grain Based products (Oats etc)

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Who doesn't love some Oats eh?

I'm Scottish so their everywhereeeeeee I do eat them all the time. For convenience and also their pretty well known in the fitness community.

I listen to a lot of Podcasts and also read a lot of blogs and articles. I came across a find about wheat & grain based products. I use Oats in this post as it's very popular. Their are also breads & pastas and a whole other variety of foods we could list.

What i found interesting and thought i would share....

I have personally noticed this as well with grain based foods but always just linked it to blood sugar ' Digestion etc etc

Grain based products contain a compound called Gliadin. Ever heard of this name? I haven't! I had a good read into this as it gives an explanation as to why oats etc never really give a sense of Satiety for a long period. Anyone else notice this? If you eat Breads ' Oats etc you can feel ravenous again in a short period of time? I personally do.

What i found interesting is... Gliadin in the seed of grains. When ingested it actually affects the opiate receptors in the brain. It acts like an opiod in a very minimal way in comparison to opiod drugs but it still has a small impact

But... This in turn does a couple of things. Gliadin once it reaches your receptors... It actually stimulates your hunger but also can cause an addiction to this compound. Just like opiods (Which are very addictive) our brain stores information that these foods supply this feel good chemical ' Compound or whatever we can class this as.

Their are a few articles online explaining about Gliadins and their are a few videos online also explaining it(Worth a read over as it is very interesting) Their are also human study's showing how they impact and affect your brain/opiate receptors. I just found it very interesting that it has never really been mentioned before.

Has anyone else heard of it?

Does anyone else notice this from Grain based products? ie you crave them (Bread seems a classic for this) and that you can eat a massive amount but in a short period you feel hungry again?

I personally don't eat much bread etc. I do enjoy it but i would rather use Oats as a carb source if any. Whenever i eat Oats (Which i almost have Daily) i do notice in a short period of time i am hungry again. If i have a meal with a few eggs and say.. Some potato's & Veggies.. I notice i feel a sense of fullness for longer (Even if the meal is smaller in terms of Volume & Calories) and when i do feel hunger it's not that type where your pulling your door cupboards off

Just thought i would share this as i think some people may find it interesting If you completely cut out Grain products you actually have mild withdrawals and will crave these foods. Not in terms of taste but your brain wants this compound. Just like any '' Drug '' (Which is a harsh name to put alongside Oats lol) it has withdrawals as soon as you stop taking them. Won't really stop me cutting out grain products.

Maybe this is why Keto can also work so well? Apart from Ketones being a good source of fuel for the brain & keto also keeps blood sugars stable it also eliminates Gliadins from your diet?.... In turn this will mean less hunger (Appetite not stimulated) and your brain isn't craving it's next '' fix ''. Maybe this is why people who are switching from a classic everyday diet to Keto get that period where they feel lethargic and miserable (The Keto Flu) maybe this is also you getting mild withdrawals?

The last part is me just speculating but it seems viable....

Just thought people might find this an interesting read.. Also.. Have a look online about Gliadins and the opiate receptors. Their is a ton more information than what i have given in this post. Will be easier to understand it all.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Who doesn't love some Oats eh?

I'm Scottish so their everywhereeeeeee I do eat them all the time. For convenience and also their pretty well known in the fitness community.

I listen to a lot of Podcasts and also read a lot of blogs and articles. I came across a find about wheat & grain based products. I use Oats in this post as it's very popular. Their are also breads & pastas and a whole other variety of foods we could list.

What i found interesting and thought i would share....

I have personally noticed this as well with grain based foods but always just linked it to blood sugar ' Digestion etc etc

Grain based products contain a compound called Gliadin. Ever heard of this name? I haven't! I had a good read into this as it gives an explanation as to why oats etc never really give a sense of Satiety for a long period. Anyone else notice this? If you eat Breads ' Oats etc you can feel ravenous again in a short period of time? I personally do.

What i found interesting is... Gliadin in the seed of grains. When ingested it actually affects the opiate receptors in the brain. It acts like an opiod in a very minimal way in comparison to opiod drugs but it still has a small impact

But... This in turn does a couple of things. Gliadin once it reaches your receptors... It actually stimulates your hunger but also can cause an addiction to this compound. Just like opiods (Which are very addictive) our brain stores information that these foods supply this feel good chemical ' Compound or whatever we can class this as.

Their are a few articles online explaining about Gliadins and their are a few videos online also explaining it(Worth a read over as it is very interesting) Their are also human study's showing how they impact and affect your brain/opiate receptors. I just found it very interesting that it has never really been mentioned before.

Has anyone else heard of it?

Does anyone else notice this from Grain based products? ie you crave them (Bread seems a classic for this) and that you can eat a massive amount but in a short period you feel hungry again?

I personally don't eat much bread etc. I do enjoy it but i would rather use Oats as a carb source if any. Whenever i eat Oats (Which i almost have Daily) i do notice in a short period of time i am hungry again. If i have a meal with a few eggs and say.. Some potato's & Veggies.. I notice i feel a sense of fullness for longer (Even if the meal is smaller in terms of Volume & Calories) and when i do feel hunger it's not that type where your pulling your door cupboards off

Just thought i would share this as i think some people may find it interesting If you completely cut out Grain products you actually have mild withdrawals and will crave these foods. Not in terms of taste but your brain wants this compound. Just like any '' Drug '' (Which is a harsh name to put alongside Oats lol) it has withdrawals as soon as you stop taking them. Won't really stop me cutting out grain products.

Maybe this is why Keto can also work so well? Apart from Ketones being a good source of fuel for the brain & keto also keeps blood sugars stable it also eliminates Gliadins from your diet?.... In turn this will mean less hunger (Appetite not stimulated) and your brain isn't craving it's next '' fix ''. Maybe this is why people who are switching from a classic everyday diet to Keto get that period where they feel lethargic and miserable (The Keto Flu) maybe this is also you getting mild withdrawals?

The last part is me just speculating but it seems viable....

Just thought people might find this an interesting read.. Also.. Have a look online about Gliadins and the opiate receptors. Their is a ton more information than what i have given in this post. Will be easier to understand it all.

I can tell that there is an addictive quality to grains, and also a very low satiety. Milk also acts on the opiod receptors of the brain. Contrawise, if I have a huge keto carnivore breakfast, I'm satiated until the evening.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’ve found that nothing wrecks my stomach like oats. I won’t go near them anymore.