Interesting fact for those who didn't know... (re: alcohol swabs)

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I just did a bacteria culture on a bunch of random bacterias found in places such as hair, bathrooms, dirt, hands, etc and exposed them to a few antibiotics, 90% ethanol, and 3% hydrogen peroxide. the anti-bs really did nothing compared to hydrogen peroxide, too.

The alcohol swab DID JACK **** as an antibacterial and the h2o2 kicked ass!

I then proceeded to ask the biology teacher about it and he said alcohol swabs really suck and hydrogen peroxideis far superior.

The bad side is you have to use the h2o2 quickly, so that's why the alcohol is used more widely.

So, if you want to be as sterile as possible, use h2o2 swabs....

Just an intersting little FYI :)

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
very true..just don't go over 3% H2O2 otherwise you might find yourself with some dead skin ;)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Alcohol takes forever to kill bacteria..it's basically acts as a degreaser in those swabs.

H202 is awesome as a mouthwash. I mix it 50/50 with citrus Listerine and it's not bad tasting at all.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
are you guys referring to the H2O2 that you can buy at the drug store and comes in the brown bottles?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
are you guys referring to the H2O2 that you can buy at the drug store and comes in the brown bottles?
Yeah, but just note what matthewd said :) Dont' go too high on the concentration. Its stroooooooooong.

boby-at

Awards
furthermore the most effective concn of alcohol is 70% sinceeverything above 70% doesn't penetrate the cell membrane (due to protein precipitation)

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
well at concentrations of about 10% it goes from being an anseptic to a disinfectant

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
true. my wife (RN) said that alcohol swabs themselves don't really do a helluva lot; however, combined with lots of friction, it works fairly well.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
this is... interesting, thanks for the heads up.

Bigdaddyandy

Awards
I use dry swabs and a bottle of alcohol

I just get a dry swab and saturate it with alcohol on the injection site.
I usually do it 2-3 times to be safe.

I've always been told the little prepackaged alcohol swabs were ineffective because their simply was not enough alcohol to thoroughly sanitize the area.

Everone I know myself included use a dry swab and a lot of alcohol, none of us has ever gotten sick or an abcess.

Haha Hooray for alcohol!!:cheers:

But seriously is it the sanitizer(alcohol, anti-septics, etc.) or the amount used?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
combination of the two.. some are better than others

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I usually soak whatever body part I am going to use, in betadine solution for an hour or two.

Seems to work pretty good and it also makes for a nice looking birth mark.

:)

CROWLER

GoPower

Banned
Awards
I usually take a shower and use a good soap to scrub the area (and the rest of me).
Alcohol is secondary.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
My G-ma bathes herself in alcohol every day. Seriously....she would wipe her whole body down with it daily. She's 93 and swears by it...LOL

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
LOL

SJA when I first read your post I thought you werer saying your ga-ma washed YOU like that every day, then you said seriously and I though DAMN maybe that is SJA in his avatar lol

CROWLER

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking the same thing Big C but I bet if I made a culture of the normal strep and staph that live on her skin, the damn things could live in alcohol

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
HA HA HA

Yea but when ya read it did ya get tingly in your naughty area?????

BTW are you repeatedly clicking on the 'new post' link while waiting for the football games to start? Not that I am doing that lol

CROWLER

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
yes I am caught.. that and working on some stuff for work..

FlyByU

Awards
So what about making your own solution to wipe the skin before your shot by mixing together 3% hydrogen peroxide and 97% sterile water. Then get a clean tissue, wet it with the above mixture and wipe it over the area of skin to be injected.
Would this be a good thing to do?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I don't believe 100% H2O2 is easy to find :)

The H2O2 they sell in the stores is usually 3%, so you can just grab one of those.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, thanks for the heads up. I read something by Dr.D the other day saying swap the area for at least 15 seconds so I started doing that as before I was just swabbing a few times at that was it.can't be too safe :)