I'm still confused - how does UCP-1 work?

Jeff Rippe

Awards
According to the description of UCP-1, it works by blocking the body's ability to use Glucose for energy thus causing the body to rely on other sources (i.e., fat).

1) If that's the case, wouldn't using this product severely hinder weightraining energy since muscles require glucose? 

2) If UCP-1 blocks the body's use of glucose, what happens to the glucose?  I suspect insulin levels would rise to compensate.  Wouldn't that lead to more fat storage?  I don't understand.

I'm tempted to start a cycle but would like to know more first.  Thanks.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
According to the description of UCP-1, it works by blocking the body's ability to use Glucose for energy thus causing the body to rely on other sources (i.e., fat).

Hmmm...This isn't my understanding of how uncouplers/usnic acid works. Basically, usnic acid makes the mitochondria of the cells less able to utilize energy, thus causing you to burn more calories.

Let's say the UCP-1 makes your mitochondria only run at 75% efficiency (which is actually being harsh on the UA, it probably makes it less efficient, which is a good thing).

At the same time, let's say your body needs around 1500 calories for your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)

Now, if the mitochondria are running at 75% efficiency, they're only going to be able to extract the amount of energy in 1125 calories, whereas they're really burning off 1500. Thus, you'll have to burn over 400 calories more to make the deficit (no my math isn't off, i know it's 375, but remember it's not running at 100% efficiency).

Bottom line, it makes your burn A TON more calories, thus making you lose alot of fat.

My personal experience: I used it for a week, and lost 8 pounds, but I broke out in a rash, so I had to discontinue usage.

P.S. -
Don't worry about the mitochondrial efficiency for the long term. Cells in your body regenerate as often as every 3-4 hours, so once you get off the supplement, within a few days your mitochondria should all be healthy and burning calories as normal

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
I should also note that while taking this supplement, be sure to add Milk Thistle and R-ALA to your list of supplements, to ensure liver health.

You should AVOID this product if you have any liver conditions or have a family history of them.

sawastea

Awards
at 150mg per dose (x3 = 450mg UA) of UCP-1, that shouldn't be enough to cause any significant damage over the course of 2 weeks, right? I thought when you surpassed 600 mg is when it starts becoming detrimental to your health

I concur with the R-ALA/MT...If you don't have R+, add extra ALA

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
No that shouldn't be enough to cause significant damage, but in some rare cases it may.

bigbk

Awards
I thought UA changed how your body found energy. Normally 90% comes from food we eat, and 10% from storage. Doesn't UA make it a 50/50 energy between food and storage. Am I close?

Kow

Awards
I believe UA and other uncouplers (DNP...) work by making the formation of ATP (Krebs cycle? or am I off with this) inefficient at the last step. It has something to do with the number of glucose molecules needed to complete the last step per unit of finished ATP (like 32 glucose molecules or something), and that uncouplers make this last step very inefficient. I have also heard it described this way:

Say you have a full hose and you put water in one end. You'll get the same amount of water coming out the other end, right? Well, say you poke little holes all throughout the hose, but you need the same amount of water coming out the other end as before. You have to keep adding more and more water to one end to end up with the same amount.

You have to keep adding more and more "water" to the initial end of the hose to get a "normal" amount of water coming out the terminal end. The water that spills out the holes is the components of the whole process that uncoupling makes inefficient. Those are released as free radicals (thus the need of ALA, C, etc...antiox's) and body heat. This is why they say that increased body heat is not the mechanism that uncouplers work through but rather a side effect.

This is all very simplified and some may be wrong but you get the general idea.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
I believe UA and other uncouplers (DNP...) work by making the formation of ATP (Krebs cycle? or am I off with this) inefficient at the last step. It has something to do with the number of glucose molecules needed to complete the last step per unit of finished ATP (like 32 glucose molecules or something), and that uncouplers make this last step very inefficient. I have also heard it described this way:

Say you have a full hose and you put water in one end. You'll get the same amount of water coming out the other end, right? Well, say you poke little holes all throughout the hose, but you need the same amount of water coming out the other end as before. You have to keep adding more and more water to one end to end up with the same amount.

You have to keep adding more and more "water" to the initial end of the hose to get a "normal" amount of water coming out the terminal end. The water that spills out the holes is the components of the whole process that uncoupling makes inefficient. Those are released as free radicals (thus the need of ALA, C, etc...antiox's) and body heat. This is why they say that increased body heat is not the mechanism that uncouplers work through but rather a side effect.

This is all very simplified and some may be wrong but you get the general idea.
Pretty much what I said, with a little more detail. :D

Jeff Rippe

Awards
OK, folks, I decided to give UCP-1 a try and I have found a rather strange side effect - incredible appetite!  I seem to be hungry all the time like a teenager (I'm 41) to the extent that I HAVE to eat something.

Is this normal?  Even drinking 3 cups of coffee doesn't curb my hunger.  Does this mean UCP-1 is working?  If so, how do I get into a negative calorie balance with such an appetite?

What's really strange is that my wife had the same thing happen to her when she was using Phen-Phen yet she lost weight!

I just completed a 4 week PH cycle (1-AD/4-AD).  Usually my appetite DECREASES after a cycle.  What's happening here???

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Well, if you're burning alot more calories than usual, and you're in an extreme negative calorie balance you're going to be hungry.

Don't worry, go and ahead and feed that hungry body, just make sure you're only eating quality calories (lean meats, EFAs, low-GI carbs). Also, be sure you're getting ALOT of water. This "hunger' might just be thirst that you're misinterpreting.

Also, the 3 cups of coffee isn't going to do much to curb the appetite. If anything, at times caffeine can STIMULATE the appetite.

Just watch it and see what happens. If you haven't started losing weight after the first week or so, then you might have to cut back down on those calories, and we'll look into leptin manipulation to help you out. (you might even just want to go ahead and look into leptigen 2 for this)