I'm pretty sure my job is killing my mass gains

jonathonk10d

jonathonk10d

Awards
I have worked in construction for about 8 years now. It has never really bothered me in the Gym. But the past two years I started working for a Brick and Block company. The minimum amount I lift a day is around 40,000 lbs, stretched over a 8-10 hour period of course.
The money is good but I think it's killing my mass gains by over training my muscles. It does keep me very strong and lean. I have not been over 12% bf and can bench twice my body weight but I think it is setting me back big time.:sad:

I have to eat a lot just to maintain. I was just wanting some confirmation on my thought process.

Thanks,

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Probably going to have to cut back on the gym time. With all that lifting, I'm sure you are getting quite an aerobic workout in.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I worked in a powder coating job like that. Everything i lifted was 50lbs to 300lbs and i lifted for 8 hrs a day. What I had to do was really up my protein. Add in BCAA's and change my reps on things like arms. I lifted more weight and less reps.

jonathonk10d

jonathonk10d

Awards
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Thanks for the good advice!

heavies

heavies

Awards
  • Established
I have worked in construction for about 8 years now. It has never really bothered me in the Gym. But the past two years I started working for a Brick and Block company. The minimum amount I lift a day is around 40,000 lbs, stretched over a 8-10 hour period of course.
The money is good but I think it's killing my mass gains by over training my muscles. It does keep me very strong and lean. I have not been over 12% bf and can bench twice my body weight but I think it is setting me back big time.:sad:

I have to eat a lot just to maintain. I was just wanting some confirmation on my thought process.

Thanks,
Well to tell you to work harder is just stupid.

Here is the short version, you need to train less (reduce reps), eat as much as you can, and focus on body parts that you are not utilizing at work. Don't be afraid of taking a little time off at the gym. But you need to focus on eating and that is something that I now really see as the hardest part of training, it is eating enough that is the real work. You would benefit from a large carb meal 1 or 2 times/day to help restore glycogen, and you need to hammer down a **** load of protein shakes.

Engineers long winded nerd geek out answer;

40,000 lbs over 9 hrs breakdowns to 74.07 lbs/sec now considering that you might not lift nearly 75 lbs a sec. it is easy to assume that you have intervals where you have a rapid increase in output, and that sums to 40,000 lbs/day, regardless of whether this over a long time interval, steady state, or whatever doesn't matter, it is a lot of work. Now this brings me to work which is mechanically described as W= F * d, that is the force times a displacement, this happens in the weight room and at your job, i.e. you applying a force to move something. So a 50 lb block raised 24 inches, the work done is 1200 lb*in or 100 lb*ft, so if your standard height is 24 inches over the 40,000 lbs, the work done is 80,000 lb*ft, that is a **** load. Now we haven't even figured in the work done at the gym. See short answer.

You are working hard!

Last edited:
John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah man Dante Trudel had a job where he had to eat 8,000 calories just to maintain (he was around 300 at the time).

jonathonk10d

jonathonk10d

Awards
Yeah, I have been ready for another job for quite some time now. Once I find another one it will make things a lot easier.

jonathonk10d

jonathonk10d

Awards
So a 50 lb block raised 24 inches, the work done is 1200 lb*in or 100 lb*ft, so if your standard height is 24 inches over the 40,000 lbs, the work done is 80,000 lb*ft, that is a **** load. Now we haven't even figured in the work done at the gym. See short answer.

You are working hard!
Most of the time I'm lifting those 50lb blocks up onto a 5ft. scaffold so it's really like quadrupling the work.

The amazing thing about the human body is it can adapt and get used to doing things like this. I am used to lifting this much everyday so it doesn't bother me that much but every time they hire a new guy I can tell how hard it really is.

I always feel sorry for the new guy, and remember back when I started.

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
i would drink xtend all day :)

i wish i knew about it back when i worked construction.

jonathonk10d

jonathonk10d

Awards
I think the best solution is to find another job!
Another really bad thing about this job is my commute. With the rising gas prices (It costs me $14 a day:frustrate) and the extra food/supplements it would be cheaper and better for me to find a better job closer to home.

Until I can find one, I will be taking everyone up on the great advice.

Thanks everyone!

EvanMan

EvanMan

Awards

Thanks,
I laid brick for 10 years. I still made gains. It was hard in the Summer but i never had to do any cardio. My avatar picture is when i was at my leanest and laying brick/block. I was around 203 lbs then and natural. I now have more of an office job and put on some fat weight that im not happy with. My dad also did block and brick work his whole life and is now 70 years old with no major health problems.

Yes it CAN be hard but the human body is amazingly adaptable. especially laying 12" split face block that weigh 95lbs each over 8' tall rebar all day long. Pouring concrete with buckets is another thing I always dreaded but its like its own small workout.

Try to hit the gym at least 3 days a week and work your major muscle groups. Hang in there bud.

-ERM

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I laid brick for 10 years. I still made gains. It was hard in the Summer but i never had to do any cardio. My avatar picture is when i was at my leanest and laying brick/block. I was around 203 lbs then and natural. I now have more of an office job and put on some fat weight that im not happy with. My dad also did block and brick work his whole life and is now 70 years old with no major health problems.

Yes it CAN be hard but the human body is amazingly adaptable. especially laying 12" split face block that weigh 95lbs each over 8' tall rebar all day long. Pouring concrete with buckets is another thing I always dreaded but its like its own small workout.

Try to hit the gym at least 3 days a week and work your major muscle groups. Hang in there bud.

-ERM

solid advise .. if only it was 12 years ago lol jk

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The human body IS amazingly adaptable - but it has to be given the chance to adapt! Chronic stress is a killer (stress being something you have to adapt to).

Work harder - sure. I can buy that. Work harder, but shorter. I think the mindset has to be around actually achieving a goal in the gym and keeping it short and to the point. You want to get bigger, you need to get stronger - it isn't about how many sets or reps you do. I would bet you would be surprised at how LITTLE work you could do, if it is HARD WORK and make progress.

Everyone is different so I'm not saying 1 set to failure is going to do it - but with all the work you're doing I would start with that mindset. Leave it all on the table and walk. At least if you're not progressing then, you only have one direction to go in - add another set. And then another, etc.

Food, sleep and limited training that is hard and extremely focused on the goal (not on how much you did).

Also, start wearing baggy clothes at work and don't let anyone know you are capable. If they think you're big and strong, they will leave all the lifting to you. You want to look average at work...let others pick up some of the load.