Unanswered Ideas to keep red blood count down, besides donation?

flandersguy

flandersguy

Awards
  • Established
Hello,

I’m getting ready for my second cycle: 15 weeks of Testosterone Enanthate at 500/ week. Some of you will recall my log from last year. I just blew up good lord. I kept a lot of the gains. The problem for me was RBC. It got too high and I ended up having to go to an incredibly judgmental local doc for a bloodletting. I didn’t feel very well tbh.

My plan this year is to donate right before starting my cycle and to monitor my bloods through a private clinic. That will let me keep an eye on my red blood count.

I also plan to eat grapefruit, take Hawthorne berry, and aspirin.

Do any of you have other tricks to keeping the rbc within range?

Last edited:

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
My advice, coming from someone who was doing at home phlebotomies by himself, dont. I crashed my iron and now almost 2 months later i still feel like crap, low energy, shortness of brrath, heart palpitations... it is getting better as i am supplementing with liquid iron (everythin except palpitations) but it takes a lot of time.
Check your iron before you donate.
You can have normal rbc count with low iron. I am living proof. And felt/feel like a zombie.

As far as grapefruit goes, yeah, it seemed to have lowered my hct from 0.478 to 0.453 in 3 weeks. But i was also using 125mg of underdosed test at the time, like 50mg of actual test. So i am not sure if it was grapefruit or it went down on its own (bear in mind my hct at the beginning of cycle was 0.47).

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What he said^
It’s easy to get freaked out and think you will drop dead from a blood clot, but not one of us is at risk with hct at 54 or under, or slightly elevated RDW. Cro learned this the hard way.
Here’s a great study that covers most the bases. I bloodlet just a few 6fl oz over 2 months and it dramatically dropped my hct. I most likely would not need to do this again until next year. This study also showed 2-3 times per year or more will almost certainly eventually create iron deficiency. So this is a LAST resort ONCE your hct goes OUT of range:

ItalOne

ItalOne

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
I usually donate in the mid morning at my local hospital. The answer is WATER! I drink 1/12 gallons of water the night before and again the next morning. It gives somewhat of a false reading and the nurses always comment on how hydrated I am because I’m pushing blood out! Fast. I’ve never been denied in 8 years.

Dehydration—this is the most common cause of a high hematocrit. As the volume of fluid in the blood drops, the RBCs per volume of fluid artificially rises; with adequate fluid intake, the hematocrit returns to normal. ... The body tries to compensate by producing more red blood cells

flandersguy

flandersguy

Awards
  • Established
I usually donate in the mid morning at my local hospital. The answer is WATER! I drink 1/12 gallons of water the night before and again the next morning. It gives somewhat of a false reading and the nurses always comment on how hydrated I am because I’m pushing blood out! Fast. I’ve never been denied in 8 years.

Dehydration—this is the most common cause of a high hematocrit. As the volume of fluid in the blood drops, the RBCs per volume of fluid artificially rises; with adequate fluid intake, the hematocrit returns to normal. ... The body tries to compensate by producing more red blood cells
This is great. Question: doesn’t so much water affect BP?