How to function/perform more optimally on less sleep?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, I know what you want to say

However, on weekends I work double 12 hour shifts. I feel like utter s##t, and have been doing this for 4 years.

I manage 4 hours Friday's, 5-6 hours Saturdays. It's tough, because it's when others mainly have time. It's not something I like, I do want to improve my sleep when I can.

But for when I can not get decent sleep, what would aid?

ALCAR has helped me in the past, I will be supplementing with this again.

Any other recommendations? I've found less coffee, actually makes me less tired later in the evening so I might cut that to just 1 mid morning.

Thanks for any tips! I do try get decent rest throughout the week.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No replacement for sleep, but creatine can aid performance the morning after a night of bad sleep

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As a teacher and parent of a 2 year old, I can tell you there is no substitute for good sleep and I've tried all kind of stimulants to keep me alert and awake (Thermagize is my current favorite) but long term sleep debt will catch up and the stimulants end up giving wicked headaches and feeling like poo after a few hours.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I completed a four year part time MBA program (on campus, 30 miles from my house) in three years, with two kids under 4 and while working full time. I averaged 4 hours of sleep during that entire time, except during session breaks.

Nothing helped, except massive amounts of coffee.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Teacrine works better than caffeine for me. I currently am using and love Morphogen's sleep/stress product: Morphorem. Even if I don't get much sleep I feel better than not taking it.

If you are not already follow ALL the sleep hygiene stuff:
Black out curtains
NO electronics and if you must wear those blue light glasses
Cool room
Eat if it helps don't if it hinders
Phone in airplane mode as when it ping the tower they have seen activity on EEG.

There is one thing that completely removes my need for more than 3 hours, Pramipexole, but I would hardly consider it a longterm solution. Perhaps modafinil script just for the weekends.

superpimp max

Awards
Ever tried macuna before bed? Other things like sleep products contain gaba , phenibute, arginine etc. ideally under the idea or plan of getting into rem sleep or more quality sleep faster. Please don’t hold me accountable I don’t know the science behind this or if there’s any proof of concept or working. Just form personal use I bring macuna into rotation during my working months 2 on 1 off kind of thing.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Actually to be honest, I'm not that tired during the day. I think the heat inside the warehouse, and the bright lights above my eyes actually make me feel tired. I don't know how to counteract this unfortunately.
I could wear a hat inside?? But I read wearing hats can cause hair loss long-term 😂😂😂

I'm also thinking it's giving me dry eyes, hence my eyes being so sore and tired after-work? I might try some eye drops to see if that helps.

My body isn't tired at all, I shifted positions and the new role isn't physically demanding.

Caffeine doesn't help at all, as mentioned above 1-2 coffees I actually believe it's doing me more harm. I'm trying sleep supplements, but I don't feel like anything but ALCAR aids.

Falling asleep is a pain, as I normally don't get to bed til 2am during the week and then to try before 10-11pm is difficult weekends.

Basically looking for aids to help me recover while sleeping quicker, as I know ALCAR helps with this. However the tired eyes could be dry eye related, the downlights at work and/or heat currently.

Thanks for current feedback, I know it's like pushing a rock uphill but there must be some tricks people use who only get 4-5 hours sleep a night 😂😂😂

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do you have some data to share on this?
This was not the exact article but something I found quickly:

My whole idea OP is that if you cannot get a quantity of sleep you should attempt to optimize the quality of the sleep you can get.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you are a disciplined person, using Kratom those two work days where you get little sleep would make you feel exceptional while at work. Would provide stimulation, motivation, take away some aches, even suppress some of the negative feelings you get from lack of sleep. You only take it those two days where you get little sleep, and you should not have withdrawal or tolerance issues.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You know, I just had 4 hours sleep last night and I'm at work and I just took Kannaease and I feel alert and ready to get some work done.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you are a disciplined person, using Kratom those two work days where you get little sleep would make you feel exceptional while at work. Would provide stimulation, motivation, take away some aches, even suppress some of the negative feelings you get from lack of sleep. You only take it those two days where you get little sleep, and you should not have withdrawal or tolerance issues.
Kratom is my go to. Work 7 days a week in the summer plus girl works opposite so I often go without sleep. Thinking of trying Monafadil as well.

superpimp max

Awards
Kratom is my go to. Work 7 days a week in the summer plus girl works opposite so I often go without sleep. Thinking of trying Monafadil as well.
Modaf is great but just borrowing time from tomorrow kind of concept so try to plan a day of narcolism sleep to recoup.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm sure there's disciplined enough people out there, but I'm just going to respectfully disagree with this suggestion. In my opinion, risk>reward.

scump

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The person who mentioned sleep hygiene is bang on the money, if you can't get much sleep you need to guarantee that its all quality sleep.

you could try some slow release melatonin prior to bed, ih sell some which is way cheaper than our PBS circadin we have here, also for my age and size 2mg isn't enough so i use 5mg, have used 10mg before to counter high stims but 5mg should be enough. (just make sure its controlled release) This will also help with "setting" your time for bed too, particularly if you want to get into a more healthy schedule.

My 2 biggest sleep hygiene things are temperature and light, if only those 2 are good i will sleep like a baby.

In reference to feeling more awake during the day, before work is the sun up? or otherwise can you get outside for your break? if either of them are yes you could try light therapy. This will sound crazy, but literally just staring into the blue sky has shown to have real benefits (depression, energy, focus, mood etc.) you can buy glasses that do the same thing, but the sky is free. If you can start off with 5-10 minutes and see how you go.

Last but not least trial some adaptogens and see if they help you in dealing with the stress.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
get a CPAP, the oxygen delivery will massively improve your quality of sleep even if you don't have Apnea or UARS

or you could drop like 10K and get a hyperbaric chamber

Last edited:
Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I fear that sleep debt will continue to be a chronic problem despite advances in technology. You'd think all the technology will give us more free time, but I feel like I'm doing a lot more work than ever before and it's greatly affecting work/family life balance.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I fear that sleep debt will continue to be a chronic problem despite advances in technology. You'd think all the technology will give us more free time, but I feel like I'm doing a lot more work than ever before and it's greatly affecting work/family life balance.
Same here! As an example, I had an epiphany just yesterday that I'm no longer going to check work emails as soon as I wake up. It's not helpful to me and actually hurts my productivity later in the day by setting me up to be in reactive mode instead of proactive mode. Yesterday ended up being a great day with low irritability and plenty accomplished.