How to find a doctor that understands TRT and maintaining fertility.

Southern09

Awards
I'm 36 and have been prescribed Test cyp. by my primary care physician (PCP). I have taken TRT prior but stopped after 5 months when my wife had decided she wanted to have another child. We tried for 18 months without success after having no trouble conceiving our first child. I did have a semen analysis 6 months after discontinuing TRT and my numbers were "above average". Likewise no repro issue has been found with my wife either. Finally we decided not to pursue it any further as next steps were IUI/IVF. I was again prescribed TRT by my PCP. I'm currently taking 150mg of Test cypionate weekly which is the dose I had been prescribed previously. At this dose previously I was producing very few sperm. I've read alot about HCG with TRT and would like to pursue this. My PCP said he does not do HCG and I would need to find another doctor to prescribe it. I called my local urologist and told them my situation and interest in HCG. They told me the urologist deals with men and these issues and made an appointment for me. During my appointment he said he doesn't prescribe HCG, only Clomid after coming off TRT. He didn't have any reccomendations for other doctors either. I don't think this is a solution for me as it isn't really going to help my low testosterone issues, and my sperm counts were great without Clomid.

Essentially, I'm wanting to maintain "some" fertility while being on TRT so the door isn't closed on having a child. I think HCG accomplishes this but can't find any doctors that are familiar with this. I would rather have my insurance cover my TRT than have to pay out of pocket. Has anyone else been through this situation?

Last edited:

Prostreet71

Awards
My free test is 4 and my total test is 259. I just started on Clomid because doing TRT will shut you down from naturally making test. The best explanation I can give is from the web: Clomid for male infertility causes an increase in FSH and LH secretion. This leads to an increase in both sperm production and testosterone secretion. Guys may need to take Clomid for at least 3-4 months to see the optimal effect. It takes 90-108 days from the time a sperm is made until it is ejaculated.
Clomid won’t raise your test as high as TRT will but Clomid will make a good rise in your numbers without all the side effects.. Hope this helps.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm 36 and have been prescribed Test cyp. by my primary care physician (PCP). I have taken TRT prior but stopped after 5 months when my wife had decided she wanted to have another child. We tried for 18 months without success after having no trouble conceiving our first child. I did have a semen analysis 6 months after discontinuing TRT and my numbers were "above average". Likewise no repro issue has been found with my wife either. Finally we decided not to pursue it any further as next steps were IUI/IVF. I was again prescribed TRT by my PCP. I'm currently taking 150mg of Test cypionate weekly which is the dose I had been prescribed previously. At this dose previously I was producing very few sperm. I've read alot about HCG with TRT and would like to pursue this. My PCP said he does not do HCG and I would need to find another doctor to prescribe it. I called my local urologist and told them my situation and interest in HCG. They told me the urologist deals with men and these issues and made an appointment for me. During my appointment he said he doesn't prescribe HCG, only Clomid after coming off TRT. He didn't have any reccomendations for other doctors either. I don't think this is a solution for me as it isn't really going to help my low testosterone issues, and my sperm counts were great without Clomid.

Essentially, I'm wanting to maintain "some" fertility while being on TRT so the door isn't closed on having a child. I think HCG accomplishes this but can't find any doctors that are familiar with this. I would rather have my insurance cover my TRT than have to pay out of pocket. Has anyone else been through this situation?
I been in you position, I was on TRT, wanted another kid but my sperm count too low so I came off and with help of HCG and Clomid I made my wife pregnant after 2 months or so. If you still want kids I would advice to get on HCG asap, do research of Dr’s in your around your area, worst case is to get UG HCG but it shouldn’t be too hard to find one that’ll help you.