How to combat water weight in joints while bulking after a very low carb diet.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
So since June I have been on a very strict low carb diet due to cutting.

Now begins the bulking phase during offseason. I am worried about water weight since my carbs were set so low and my body is very sensitive right now. I work in an office and am sitting during different periods of the day. I want to minimize water weight in my ankles and joints.

Anyone here have any suggestions? Such as not sitting for long periods of time?

Thank you for your input.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is nothing wrong with water weight. If your concerned about it, bulk with a keto diet.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't fear water weight gain too much. If you reverse diet and slowly add carbs back in you shouldn't have any significant problems with excessive water weight gain. What were your macros at the end of your cut?

You could also consider adding in a nutrient partitioner or GDA product. I find that using a GDA while ramping up my calories/carbs after a cut can help keep me feeling leaner and tighter. I typically take 1-2 caps of Slinmax before my higher carb meals or before refeeds. A GDA will also help your body to use the extra carbs more efficiently, and I always end up feeling less watery and bloated when I use it before a carb meal.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
I wouldn't fear water weight gain too much. If you reverse diet and slowly add carbs back in you shouldn't have any significant problems with excessive water weight gain. What were your macros at the end of your cut?

You could also consider adding in a nutrient partitioner or GDA product. I find that using a GDA while ramping up my calories/carbs after a cut can help keep me feeling leaner and tighter. I typically take 1-2 caps of Slinmax before my higher carb meals or before refeeds. A GDA will also help your body to use the extra carbs more efficiently, and I always end up feeling less watery and bloated when I use it before a carb meal.
I was taking in 75 grams of carbs or less a day on average. Protein was kept high at 1.25 grams per pound of bodyweight. Fats were also kept low around 77 grams per day during cutting. I dropped 40 pounds during my cut.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
at the end of contest prep our body should be primed to USE almost every carb you intake for quite some time... Your insulin sensitivity should be at or near its peak due to such low bf%. Also, water weight is strictly cosmetic and really has no bearing on anything. If you're really that concerned, simply time your carbs around workouts only and stay low(er) carb through the rest of the day.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
at the end of contest prep our body should be primed to USE almost every carb you intake for quite some time... Your insulin sensitivity should be at or near its peak due to such low bf%. Also, water weight is strictly cosmetic and really has no bearing on anything. If you're really that concerned, simply time your carbs around workouts only and stay low(er) carb through the rest of the day.
Yes that is what my coach told me. First two weeks of this he says eat whatever I want to since my insulin sensitivity is where its at and we have to take advantage of it while it lasts at this level. Im monitoring myself water weight wise and today my body has been responding fine. I did weigh myself this morning and I've put on a total of 8 pounds of water since starting this.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yes that is what my coach told me. First two weeks of this he says eat whatever I want to since my insulin sensitivity is where its at and we have to take advantage of it while it lasts at this level. Im monitoring myself water weight wise and today my body has been responding fine. I did weigh myself this morning and I've put on a total of 8 pounds of water since starting this.
I wouldn't go so far as to say "whatever you want" ha... I did that one time after a 5mo cut and ended up so bloated my skin hurt for dayssss (tho I was pretty ridiculous with the amount and types of food I ate). If you're reasonably controlled, maybe like one big "whatever" meal a day and the rest fairly normal, you shouldn't ahve any issues

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
I wouldn't go so far as to say "whatever you want" ha... I did that one time after a 5mo cut and ended up so bloated my skin hurt for dayssss (tho I was pretty ridiculous with the amount and types of food I ate). If you're reasonably controlled, maybe like one big "whatever" meal a day and the rest fairly normal, you shouldn't ahve any issues
Yeah thats what I am doing. For example today I had two donuts with black coffee mid morning and then a few waffles & syrup oreos about an hour later. For my breakfast I had old fashioned oats at 3 in the morning with a scoop of Select Whey PB Cookie and then whole grain organic cereal with almond cashew milk at 5 am. The rest of the day I had bok choy with fish for lunch, along with a few twizzlers for a snack, and nature valley crunchy pumpkin spice bar a little later. I also had a stone ground whole wheat fig bar and two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches consisting of ezekiel sprouted grains bread and organic peanut butter with Sugar Free blackberry jam. I also threw in a protein cookie that is made by PROSUPPS. They are good!

So lets say right now Im enjoying these couple weeks eating a diet like a normal person.

If you care to share your diet that made you bloated as **** I would appreciate it! LOL Thank you :)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yeah thats what I am doing. For example today I had two donuts with black coffee mid morning and then a few waffles & syrup oreos about an hour later. For my breakfast I had old fashioned oats at 3 in the morning with a scoop of Select Whey PB Cookie and then whole grain organic cereal with almond cashew milk at 5 am. The rest of the day I had bok choy with fish for lunch, along with a few twizzlers for a snack, and nature valley crunchy pumpkin spice bar a little later. I also had a stone ground whole wheat fig bar and two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches consisting of ezekiel sprouted grains bread and organic peanut butter with Sugar Free blackberry jam. I also threw in a protein cookie that is made by PROSUPPS. They are good!

So lets say right now Im enjoying these couple weeks eating a diet like a normal person.

If you care to share your diet that made you bloated as **** I would appreciate it! LOL Thank you :)
i'd never be able to remember all of it but pretty much 75% of it was excessively high sugar/processed foods, plenty of taco bell, and more donuts and ice cream than anyone should eat in a month (and that was per-day haha)

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
i'd never be able to remember all of it but pretty much 75% of it was excessively high sugar/processed foods, plenty of taco bell, and more donuts and ice cream than anyone should eat in a month (and that was per-day haha)
I take it you currently compete or have competed in the past? Do you have any shows coming up?

Also thank you for replying! I appreciate it! I had a box of ezekiel almond cereal sitting here in the office and ate a small bowl of that instead of running over to McDonalds. I Was starving but I knew that I need to pick and choose my times wisely during bulking with the high sodium fast food.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
You sound like a women.....

But seriously this is nothing to worry about. As long as blood pressure and kidneys are fine this has zero impact on anything.
Only thing is when I weigh myself the weight is gonna be inaccurate due to water retention. Thats my only concern.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Only thing is when I weigh myself the weight is gonna be inaccurate due to water retention. Thats my only concern.
Weigh yourself in the morning? Weights irrelevant, it's the off season. I'm 10lbs heavier on the bottom VS the top. So what's weight? (16 month difference)

IMG_1034.jpg

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I take it you currently compete or have competed in the past? Do you have any shows coming up?

Also thank you for replying! I appreciate it! I had a box of ezekiel almond cereal sitting here in the office and ate a small bowl of that instead of running over to McDonalds. I Was starving but I knew that I need to pick and choose my times wisely during bulking with the high sodium fast food.
nah, I've always had the itch to compete at some point but my entire life is travel right now so its really not realistic for me to be able to guarantee the dedication required. My cuts/bulks/maintenance are strictly vanity(70% haha) and curiosity (30%) related. I'm an engineer/somewhat OCD so I thoroughly enjoy the tracking, tinkering and tweaking of all the aspects of diet and training and continuously guinea pig myself to new methods and info

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
nah, I've always had the itch to compete at some point but my entire life is travel right now so its really not realistic for me to be able to guarantee the dedication required. My cuts/bulks/maintenance are strictly vanity(70% haha) and curiosity (30%) related. I'm an engineer/somewhat OCD so I thoroughly enjoy the tracking, tinkering and tweaking of all the aspects of diet and training and continuously guinea pig myself to new methods and info
Well that really lasted long. My body does not respond well to just eating whatever I want to eat. So after two days of that bs I am back to eating complex carbs that are low in GI. I also will be making sure to up the cardio for a little bit to sweat out this water. After doing this for just a couple days it really reminded me why most people are holding excess water and bloated. The **** they put in fast food is garbage.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
Carbs cycling, high on training days, low on rest days.
During training days, 70% of carbohydrates concentrated around the peri-workout, before intra post.
Every day, 1gr of potassium citrated per day + gda.