How important are carbs pre-workout?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Would it be ok to just have a protein shake before a workout? Especially if you've eaten a large meal a few hours before. When I have a shake and some carbs I feel very full and my stomach gets upset,especially if I am doing squats or something hard. I have just heard over and over again that you MUST have carbs preworkout. Doesn't your body have enough glucose stored already? Any suggestions? Thanks

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
It depends how steady your insulin levels are....
I very rarely eat before I work out. I only do so if I am noticeably tired and or weak.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Your glycogen stores will be largely dependent on your carb intake the past 24 hours, rather than solely one hour pre work out. If you have a large varied meal (p/c or p/c/f) 2-3 hours before hand, than a protein shake directly before will suffice for the pre-workout goal of providing a substrate to limit muscle breakdown during your actual workout.

A lot of individuals have issues with large meals within an hour of working out. Take in your larger meal at your set time, than throw down a protein shake when you want to, and avoid that gastric distress!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think carbs are very beneficial before a workout. It depends on what you are eating for carbs so close to a workout. I personally don't like protein shakes that close to a lift and like a whole food meal 1.5-2hours pre-workout then carbs+aminos 15 minutes before

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
I usually slam back a cup of egg whites and a cup of oats within an hour of workout. Mine are usually in the morning, not in the afternoon

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
no such thing as essential carbs, so feel free to avoid :D

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll try not eat carbs immediately before my workout next time. I eat a large breakfast a few hours before I train. I always ate carbs right before working out just because its what I've always done cause I probably read it in some magazine when I first started working out. I have trouble breaking habits.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll try not eat carbs immediately before my workout next time. I eat a large breakfast a few hours before I train. I always ate carbs right before working out just because its what I've always done cause I probably read it in some magazine when I first started working out. I have trouble breaking habits.
I think as long as you dont wake up and train without eating carbs your probably fine as long as youve had a meal or two and ingested carbs. But if you just wake up and train i think you would definitely want to ingest some carbs before hit the weights.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It depends how steady your insulin levels are....
It has nothing to do with your insulin levels.

As mentioned, it depends on your diet and activity before hand.

Part of the discomfort might be related to the aeration in the shake. Why not try having a banana and a glass of water? After all you are looking for fuel for the workout and protein is a crappy fuel.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
It has nothing to do with your insulin levels.

As mentioned, it depends on your diet and activity before hand.

Part of the discomfort might be related to the aeration in the shake. Why not try having a banana and a glass of water? After all you are looking for fuel for the workout and protein is a crappy fuel.[/QUOTE/]

Good posting bro. I would eat more than just a banana but thats just me.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
A banana seems like it would be enough but not too much. All I know is when I do something like squats or deadlifts I feel like crap if there is anything in my stomach.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
A banana seems like it would be enough but not too much. All I know is when I do something like squats or deadlifts I feel like crap if there is anything in my stomach.
Ya you've just gotta do what works for you I feel bad if i dont eat or eat way too much..i guess you've gotta find that perfect amount.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Ya you've just gotta do what works for you I feel bad if i dont eat or eat way too much..i guess you've gotta find that perfect amount.
Yeah,kind of seems like one of those things where you just have to experiment. Everybody seems to prefer something different.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Would it be ok to just have a protein shake before a workout? Especially if you've eaten a large meal a few hours before. When I have a shake and some carbs I feel very full and my stomach gets upset,especially if I am doing squats or something hard. I have just heard over and over again that you MUST have carbs preworkout. Doesn't your body have enough glucose stored already? Any suggestions? Thanks
You have heard the wrong people, over and over again.

Assuming you are talking about resistance training, carbs are not necessary pre-workout. Now, if you were a cyclist, triathlete, marathoner...carbs an hour before start and then during would be essential.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I got into the habit of eating an apple just before my weight sessions... apple and a coffee is usually my plan of attack. Personally, I love it.

Dietfreak

Awards
no such thing as essential carbs, so feel free to avoid :D
OCCfan is spot on. Glucose is essential :)

Carbs are protein sparing so I suggest you have some pre-wo just do it a few hours before.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established

Carbs are protein sparing so I suggest you have some pre-wo just do it a few hours before.
If he has it a few hours before that means it is not pre-workout. Unless you would consider 12pm lunch pre-workout for a 4pm gym session. The need for carbs pre resistance training is not essential. High glycemic carbs right before almost any exercise will have adverse effects.

Dietfreak

Awards
I'm not talking about high gi carbs (although I don't know why you still use GI) GL is more accurate and telling of the impact the carb will have on blood sugar.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have heard the wrong people, over and over again.

Assuming you are talking about resistance training, carbs are not necessary pre-workout. Now, if you were a cyclist, triathlete, marathoner...carbs an hour before start and then during would be essential.
A voice of reason!

Here is some quotes of some dialog I had when developing my newest pre workout protocol:
"To tell you the truth, fasted states in conjunction with products which induce, and following, utilize lipolysis are absolutely fantastic. If you are lifting immediately after waking, may I suggest forgoing the Pre-WO shake? Glucose provides only 1/3 of the energy for anaerobic cellular reactions, and the combination of both PowerFULL and ReCreate modulating lipolysis pathways produces very strong workouts."

"Most definitely. Whether we choose to utilize them or not, the process of lipolysis liberates stored fatty acids into our blood stream in the form of triglycerides - by engaging in anaerobic exercise, we use these newly liberated FFAs for cellular exertion (as I said, fatty acid oxidation comprises about 2/3 energy use in an anaerobic movement). This protocol merely utilizes energy which would have been wasted in a normal protocol, while ensuring that proper Post-WO nutrition is undertaken."
I use ONLY BCAA, creatine, leucine and BA intraworkout. No carbs!

My perfromance is outstanding. It is progressive and sustainable and does not drop off like it used to when I used carbohydrates pre workout.

Now of course some credit is due to my USPLabs products but the lack of pre workout carbs is potentiating my perfromance because I have used the same products with carbs and it is nearly night and day in regard to sustained energy and performance.

When I used carbohydrates I would crash. Without carbohydrates I have an endless supply of energy and stamina that rivals many stims that I have used in the past.

Proof is in the puddin' http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/96784-b5150-transcending-agedness.html

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I'm not talking about high gi carbs (although I don't know why you still use GI) GL is more accurate and telling of the impact the carb will have on blood sugar.
Puhlease! Thanks for the lesson on glycemic load and glycemic index, lol newbies

The only reason to carbs pre-workout is to have them available for use. therefore low-moderate GI carbs are useless immediately pre-workout. They should be consumed an hour or so before the workout. But again, for resistance training this is not necessary. Besides, who wants a belly filled with food.

Dietfreak

Awards
Notice I said a few hours before.. not immediately before. Please.... then why did you even mention GI you should have said GL from the start. Forget GI exists..

I'm a newb here but have 7k posts elsewhere.. post count doesn't matter; content does ;)

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Notice I said a few hours before.. not immediately before. Please.... then why did you even mention GI you should have said GL from the start. Forget GI exists..

I'm a newb here but have 7k posts elsewhere.. post count doesn't matter; content does ;)
See... now you are throwing out the baby with the bath water. They work in tandem. You always need to consider both not just one.

Please, try to remember that you are on a forum with a hyoooge membership. There is a good chance that one or two of us know what we are talking about.

BTW, a few hours before is NOT pre-workout.

Dietfreak

Awards
GL is the more accurate indicator though. That's the point.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The issue is that carbohydrates are not needed for pre resistance training workouts. Sports and or endurance athletes do because they need to sustain a level of perfromance that exhausts glycogen stores. A bodybuilder who maintains reasonable stores of glyogen does not need pre workout carbohydrates to perform for 30-45 minutes of resistence training.

As I mentioned in my post earlier that you are actually doing yourself and your body composition good by not taking pre workout carbs. As long as you have replenished depleted muscle glycogen post previous workout there is no reason why you would not be able to effectively perform resistance training without pre workout carbs.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Last edited:

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established

That is incorrect, dietary glucose intake is not essential, but, glucose in the body is, which your body can make from protein via Gluceogenesis.

Nor are they essential for PrWO intake or PWO, they're optional.

Dietfreak

Awards
I didn't state that glucose via diet was essential... where did you get that? I know.. 17 out of the 20 amino acids are glucogenic - all except for leucine, lysine, and aspartic acid. + the glycerol portion (backbone) of fatty acids can be converted to glucose as well but it is inefficient and yields litte glucose.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes so carbs preworkout also aren't essential... :) hence "essential fatty acids, essential amino acids" but no essential carbs

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good lord. Nothing pre work out is essential.

To a degree macronutrients are interchangeable for energy needs. Blanket statements saying carbs, protein, fats are good/bad are moot. Regularly spaced balanced meals and short but sweet workouts will negate the need to discuss all this malarkey. :gas: