How Do You Score Booze / Macros Etc Pros/Cons

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've read studies that say small doses can temporarily boost T
I've read studies that say it encourages estrogen.
Layne Norton IIRC said when drinking (in his pre contest prep book) log the calories both towards carbs and fats.

So when it comes to booze, what camp are you in and what are the pros/cons?

My drink of choice is by far, bourbon. Don't much care for beer unless it's a great IPA.

It is an easy way to get an extra few hundred calories but............ do they serve any purpose at all? or is it just a detriment?

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I stopped drinking alcohol something like 6 or 7 years ago. I didnt drink much before but I feel it was a fantastic choice. My wife followed suit. Our kids have never seen us drunk (or high for that matter) and never will.

I know your question is more in the realm of fitness, but for me it was more of a spiritual decision than anything. I just don't think I'm doing God's will if I'm drinkink alcohol, and any time I'm not doing His will, that's sin.

Added bonus though, I know alcohol won't interfere with my fitness goals in any way!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I rarely drink anymore but when I do it’s a nice whisk(e)y. Definitely detrimental to anabolic gains when in abundance. Buuuut….whiskey and deadlifts by Duffin is interesting in regards to instant CNS activation.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I stopped drinking alcohol something like 6 or 7 years ago. I didnt drink much before but I feel it was a fantastic choice. My wife followed suit. Our kids have never seen us drunk (or high for that matter) and never will.

I know your question is more in the realm of fitness, but for me it was more of a spiritual decision than anything. I just don't think I'm doing God's will if I'm drinkink alcohol, and any time I'm not doing His will, that's sin.

Added bonus though, I know alcohol won't interfere with my fitness goals in any way!
no argument (y)🤘

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't drink so it isn't always super relevant to me, but take a look at this if you want more info.

FWIW reading that sounds way more lenient then I thought recommendations were, so I'd be interested to hear opinions.

For others I usually tell them (as far as logging) just to make sure to subtract the 7 cals per gram of the alcohol from carbs and/or fats if following a macro plan to account for the caloric intake. I don't think everyone needs to fully avoid alcohol, but being conscious of the positives and negatives is worth knowing for an educated decision to be made.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don't drink so it isn't always super relevant to me, but take a look at this if you want more info.

FWIW reading that sounds way more lenient then I thought recommendations were, so I'd be interested to hear opinions.

For others I usually tell them (as far as logging) just to make sure to subtract the 7 cals per gram of the alcohol from carbs and/or fats if following a macro plan to account for the caloric intake. I don't think everyone needs to fully avoid alcohol, but being conscious of the positives and negatives is worth knowing for an educated decision to be made.
Good stuff. The important take away here that I can see really is mostly in regards to protein synthesis unless you're the type of person who does have sleep issues with alcohol. The article SORTA conflicts with the whiskey and deadlifts article but not entirely considering the volume discussed in each 🤘(y)

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good stuff. The important take away here that I can see really is mostly in regards to protein synthesis unless you're the type of person who does have sleep issues with alcohol. The article SORTA conflicts with the whiskey and deadlifts article but not entirely considering the volume discussed in each (y)
I don’t believe anabolics were taken into consideration for the whiskey and deadlifts article as well