Houseman's log...

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well, so it begins on Sunday my offical start up of Bobo's training program.

I will be having my girl take before pics for my reference. We'll see if I decide to post them or not :)

I got the program on Tuesday and have been skimming it over. Diet looks solid and empty lol. Lovely :D I'll be craving those pre and post workout meals I know for sure!

I've been doing some of the exercises already just so I can get a feel for what weight range to use for various exercises. I've been a fan of TUT training for a while now and even incorporated it into previous training. Just not with everything so I am fairly well set.

My main reason for going with Bobo's plan was because I felt if I invested some dollars into something I would succed better. I always have a problewm of following my own advices/plans compared to what I do for guys in my gym. I'm not sure why but I think it's fairly typical. So paying for something will help keep me on track. Plus, I believe in what Bobo has achieved with others and I'm interested in furthering what I know and achieving better results for myself.

That's all for now.

Aaron

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Oh, and as I've a;ready messaged Bobo. My two bottles of Melting Point came today. They're sitting on my desk batting their eye lashing and swinging their sexy curves right in front of me!

So god damn tempting. But, this will be a supplement free program for me. Well, free for at least the first 8 weeks. After that and once we have a baseline for success, we might experiment.

Timing could't be worse though. lol Maybe I'll start dropping them like pez in my g/f's food. lol

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well Day one in the books.

Sundays are an out of whack day for me compared to all my other days of the week. During the week, I train starting between 7 and 7:30pm. Sunday, I train at 12pm.

I have a cold right now that's in full swing but I had very good energy for yesterday's workout which was Chest/Shoulders/Abs.

My first meal, well let's just say I was depressed looking at it. 6 egg whites and a cup of oatmeal. My g/f looked at what I had sitting on the dining room table and just started to laugh. It's about 1/2 of what I am used to eating for breakfast. She figured I'll have passed out form hunger by day 4 lol.

But, I manned up and sucked it back along with the rest of my meals. I will admit how surprised I was at how filling it was. Come 9:30 when I ate my last meal (chicken and broccoli with flax oil).. I was pretty stuffed. For the meals that are somewhat "scarce"... pounding back that 16oz of water before hand really helps with the "full" feeling.

I didn't "really" weigh in yesterday morning. I did, but I don't think I'll use yesterday's reading as an official reading because of the following:

1) I have a cold and feel like ****;
2) When I get sick, the last thing I feel like doing is eaing healthy **** so for the 2 days prior to Sunday I ate: Pasta and Meatballs with 2 loaves of garlic break with cheese; 2-3 plate full of chinese food; and 10 or 11 slices of pizza. All with very little to drink. That was in addition to "regular" eating. IOW.. I got lazy when it came to night time eating.

But, I did weigh in just got shits and giggles. I was 289lbs. I also weighed in this morning at 292lbs which was nice because I weighed in last night before I went to bed at 299.5lbs LOL. Not bad, 11lbs gain in less 16 hours of eating :D

I'm sure I'll stabilize nicely come this weekend and I'll have my "real world values" to work by. Thoughts Bobo (if you read this lol)?

Workout went fine but I have a question: How long should this workout last? I was in the gym for just over an hour I think?

Another question: How do you guys keep track of your CON AND ECC tempo? If I try to count in my head I'll lose track of reps. If I count reps in my head and just go by "feel" I am somewhat concerned that I'll either go TOO quickly or TOO slowly. Just looking for tips on staying within the boundries.

That's about it for now. Time to go eat meal #1 for Monday. Oddly enough, it's been 11 hours since my last meal at 9:30 last night and I am not hungry in the least.

Bu bye for now.

Aaron

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Another thing worth noting.

My colon is getting one helluva cleansing this morning :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice.

Everything sounds about right (except your binge) but I understand that as well. When I feel like ****, pizza feels good.

Expect some more "cleaning". It will pass.....pun intended.... :)

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Also note,

I've replaced all meals that included bagels and skim milk with oatmeal instead.

I prefer the cleaner carbs of the oatmeal for some strange reason. lol

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
House, counting out the tempo and counting reps is tough at first, but you'll get used to it. It definitely becomes easier.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
House, counting out the tempo and counting reps is tough at first, but you'll get used to it. It definitely becomes easier.
Thanks.

I figured that. I'm blond and Polish. Two things like that at once with a heavy-assed bar with weights over my head is complicated :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also note,

I've replaced all meals that included bagels and skim milk with oatmeal instead.

I prefer the cleaner carbs of the oatmeal for some strange reason. lol
The carbs aren't cleaner. Actually they have a higher GI than skim Milk. I don't want that much oatmeal in the plan. I want you to stick to whats written out and if you have to make a substituion every once in a while that is fine but I DO NOT want large changes.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The carbs aren't cleaner. Actually they have a higher GI than skim Milk. I don't want that much oatmeal in the plan. I want you to stick to whats written out and if you have to make a substituion every once in a while that is fine but I DO NOT want large changes.
Oh ok!

I assume dwhen it said... substituions could be made... in the grocery list... that I could, indeed, just make the substituion if I wanted.

Gotcha now Boss man. Godo thing we're only a day in :D

Thanks!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ONce in a while yes, all of them no. Both the bagels and milk serve a purpose :)

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sounds good.

Just figured oatmeal was better than bagels. I haven't sub milk at all. Wish I could drink more of it :)

And, no more subbing :) Thanks!

midget

Board Supporter
Awards
Thanks.

I figured that. I'm blond and Polish. Two things like that at once with a heavy-assed bar with weights over my head is complicated :D
Trick I use for keeping track of reps & tut is to combine the two:

Ex: 3/2 for 8 reps
On the way down, I'll count 1-2-3, on the way up I'll count 1-1, down: 1-2-3, up: 2-2, down 1-2-3, up: 3-3, down: 1-2-3, up: 4-4, etc. make sense?
good luck....

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Trick I use for keeping track of reps & tut is to combine the two:

Ex: 3/2 for 8 reps
On the way down, I'll count 1-2-3, on the way up I'll count 1-1, down: 1-2-3, up: 2-2, down 1-2-3, up: 3-3, down: 1-2-3, up: 4-4, etc. make sense?
good luck....
Make sense. Thanks!

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Day number two in the books. Going along nicely so far. Back workout last night which was pretty good.

Weighed in this morning just to see if my weight is starting to stabilize and come back to normal. It is. Down to 288 this morning. Should be able to have a good reading come Saturday morning.

Did cardio this morning too. 5:30am comes quickly :D

Bobo, I had to switch to a treadmill on an 15 degree incline at 2.6mph because the Elipticals were taken. I assume this is ok? If not, tell me what I can sub in place of the Eliptical. The hogs always seem to find a way of getting there early enough (gym opens at 5:30 and I was there at 5:32) to snag the Elipticals.

Diet is going well. Too well I think. Hardly feels like dieting. As long as I cna keep my control in check and not venture off the reservation (which, paying for something should keep me in check :D) then this should be a very successful program I believe. Time will tell though.

As a side note, some may wonder, what do I consider successful? I don't have any "set" goals for this program. I want to lose as much FAT as possible while maintaining as muscle LBM as possible. Bobo's plan was for 8 weeks, I will be hiring him for an additional 4 weeks and most likely for another 4 weeks after that for a total of 16 weeks. I want to compete in 07 and 16 weeks of dieting under Bobo will let me know whether I have the mental toughness to hang in there with the dieting and training.

Houseman out!

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bobo, one more thing.

I got called last night about a football practice on Thursday which happens to be my leg day.

I don't know how much running will be involved our first night. Not much likely but I do plan on going. I was going to train legs in the morning which then allowed me to go to practice that night.

What do you think about this? Hurt anything at all?

Thanks.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any cardio machine that keeps your herat rate at 130 is fine.

Hurt? You might be trying to run on leg day... :D

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I know. Like they couldn't have picked a worse fucking day.

Hopefully the inbetween time plus the fact I am used to gruelling leg workouts to begin with will help a little bit.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Looks like Tuesday are going to be a day where I am most hungry. lol

35 min can't come soon enough for meal #3!

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bobo, question.. is coffee ok in the morning?

I usually get an Extra Large, with two cream and 2 sweetener (sugar twin).

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
use skim milk and splenda.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yesterday was just a rest day but I did cardio in the am for 45 mins on an empty stomach.

One thing, I'll have to do with my "off/cardio" days is switch up my eating style because to get all my meals in yesterday, I had to stay up til 11pm.

Normally what I do when a weight training day is:

Meal 1: 8:30am
Meal 2: 11:30am
Meal 3: 2:30pm
Meal 4: 5:30pm (pre workout)
Meal 5: 8:30pm (post workout)
Meal 6: 9:30pm (hour post workout)

Even though yesterday was just cardio in the morning, I still kept the same eating schedule but because there's no weight training, I still had to space my meal meals 5 and 6 3 hours apart and not one hour like I would normally do if weight training.

Live and learn :)

desmo996

Awards
There just aren't enough hours in the day, are there? I too find myself eating at 10 or so on nontraining days.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There just aren't enough hours in the day, are there? I too find myself eating at 10 or so on nontraining days.
Oh. the hours are there. The problem is I am usually in bed come 9:30-10 given I am up at 5-5:30am.

Staying up to 11 was rough. lol

tabish121

Board Supporter
Awards
Oh. the hours are there. The problem is I am usually in bed come 9:30-10 given I am up at 5-5:30am.

Phew, I thought maybe I was the only one who went to bed that early, I feel better now.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
By the way, Bobo. I assume all this dairy will eventually be subbed out for something else right?

I not lactose intolerant or anything like that but I've not had this much dairy since I was a teen and drank a couple litres of milk/day for bulk up :D

It is very filling.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not for a while, no.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bobo,

Small problem with todays workout. I trained legs first ting this morning 6am. I forgot to bring my gatoraid.

Do I drink it now? (currentlu an hour and a bit past when my workout was over) or do I just carry on with my regular meals and stuff?

Thanks!

Aaron

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Regular meals.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How you got through that workout without sometihng is beyond me.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Really?

I was tired by the end I'll admit but I felt really godo and strong throughout it. Lunges were a bitch, I'll admit. Second leg workout in 3.5 weeks and first time doing lunges in 5. I could only manage 115 on the bar for 10 reps on each leg.

I need to work on my tempo a bit better. I actually think I am taking longer than required - especially on 2:2 tempo's Extensions felt unbelievably long. But, I felt every muscle in my quads firing nicely :D

Maybe I took too long for the entire workout and that's how I got through it? Got in there around 6:15 and was out at 7:20? I don't know how long these workouts SHOULD be.

Also, I did eat my pre-workout meal an hour before hand.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Weight down to 286 this morning so it seems I am getting back to baseline.

I am not normally in the habit of checking my weight on a regilar basis but I have bene this week just to ensure I am returning back to normal figures from my previous elevation.

No training last night as I did legs in the morning. Had my football practice for an hour last night though. Mild bit of running (sprints) just for drills and whatnot. Nothing major.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I tell ya.. slamming that water before a meal really helps with those meals that are scarce.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Method to my madness.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Just a quick update here. I weighed in Sunday morning first thing, down to 285.. give or take. That was before a monring dump but an hour later, I went and i swear it was a good 4lbs. LOL

Seriously though, 285 is the number I giving.

Also, I skipped my last meal on Saturday night. I just couldn't make it til 11 to eat my last meal. Not bad I guess, 41 of 42 meals. Not one item omitted.

I DO need to get better with the vitamins though. Most days, I seem to forget to take my second dose which means I'm only getting half of what's required by Bobo. I'll get better with that!

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bobo, can I switch the tuna for 6.5oz of chicken instead?

Finding it very difficult to choke the tuna down using a fat free salad dressing.

Thanks!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Just looking over some of my notes:

I couldn't do the dips for the 2:2 tempo as required. I was able to grind out 5 at 2:2 on the first two sets and once I started to fatigue I just went as quick as I could to get another 4 or 5.

After those first two sets, I was spent and couldn't manager the 2:2 tempo so I just increased the reps a bit and went to 10 instead of 8.

I had to switch to the Cybex Ab Crunch after my first set of cable crunches. For some reason, I found holding the rope to cause excess tension on my right elbow to the point of starting to hurt it which meant I wasn't doing the exercise properly as I was compensating for my bad elbow. This was the machine I used: http://pfc-fitness.com/index.cfm/act/Catalog.cfm/catalogid/1155/Subcategory/Selectorized Equipment/category/Commercial Equipment/browse/null/MenuGroup/Commercial Fitness/desc/Cybex Ab Crunch.htm

Will try with the cable crunches again this week. I have to admit though, I never feel much in the way of abdominal work when I have done this in the past. I must be doing them wrong?

Arnolds really killed my shoulders on Friday. Haven't felt that sore in my shoulder region in a long time after shoulder exercises. 40's for 10 reps were tough it seemed. Hope these get a bit easier as I am not really used to doing them and feel my technique might be a bit off.

midget

Board Supporter
Awards
Dips: Do you have access to an assisted dip machine?

Abs: see my post on dsl's log. you dont have to use a rope. i use a strait bar w/ lifting straps and there really shouldnt be too much stress on your elbows....bobo has allowed some to sub weighted crunches for the cable crunch - but you may want to confirm w/ him.

Just looking over some of my notes:

I couldn't do the dips for the 2:2 tempo as required. I was able to grind out 5 at 2:2 on the first two sets and once I started to fatigue I just went as quick as I could to get another 4 or 5.

After those first two sets, I was spent and couldn't manager the 2:2 tempo so I just increased the reps a bit and went to 10 instead of 8.

I had to switch to the Cybex Ab Crunch after my first set of cable crunches. For some reason, I found holding the rope to cause excess tension on my right elbow to the point of starting to hurt it which meant I wasn't doing the exercise properly as I was compensating for my bad elbow. This was the machine I used: http://pfc-fitness.com/index.cfm/act/Catalog.cfm/catalogid/1155/Subcategory/Selectorized Equipment/category/Commercial Equipment/browse/null/MenuGroup/Commercial Fitness/desc/Cybex Ab Crunch.htm

Will try with the cable crunches again this week. I have to admit though, I never feel much in the way of abdominal work when I have done this in the past. I must be doing them wrong?

Arnolds really killed my shoulders on Friday. Haven't felt that sore in my shoulder region in a long time after shoulder exercises. 40's for 10 reps were tough it seemed. Hope these get a bit easier as I am not really used to doing them and feel my technique might be a bit off.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Dips: Do you have access to an assisted dip machine?

Abs: see my post on dsl's log. you dont have to use a rope. i use a strait bar w/ lifting straps and there really shouldnt be too much stress on your elbows....bobo has allowed some to sub weighted crunches for the cable crunch - but you may want to confirm w/ him.
No access to an assisted machine unless I go to a different gym for a workout like I am doing tonight for back.

I can do it but it'll add up in $$$$.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ugh. Fack.

5am came early this morning for cardio. lol For today, I am switching my meals to every 2.5 hours instead of every 3. This way, I should be able to go to bed at a decent time thank god. lol

Went to a different gym last night for my back workout so I could take advantage of the assisted pull-up machine. Workout went alright.

Most of the pully equipment was cybex which doesn't use actual numbers for weight... just numbers for degree of difficulity. For example, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 etc. I have no clue what my poundages were. I just picked a weight that felt heavy enough for me to complete the rep range for the specified tempo.

One thing I do not like about training back (never have) is I rarely feel it in my lats the next day. I know soreness is not a direct correlation to growth but I always find if I am a bit sore then it means I at least worked the bodypart. Shoulds are the same way usually.

The gym I went to didn't have a standing calf machine. WTF!? What gym DOESN'T have one of these? lol. So I just used a block like thing they had as the elvation and did standing raises on a smith with a few 45's on each side. Going this slow on the up and down was killer.

Dunno what my weight is as now I will only weigh in once a week.

Bobo, when do you want me weigh ins? I rarely get the chance to login during the weekend so it's either Monday morning when I report in or Friday morning before I leave for the weekend.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Usually Sunday but Monday is fine. As long as its the same time each week, its ok. Make it the same time too like when you get up.

Do you use straps for back?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yes, I use straps for back. Because of my injury to my neck last winter, the strength in my left hand/arm seems to be less than my right. Straps help equal it out and allow me to pull more with the elbows than with the hands.

Want me to stop using them?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No way. I was just making sure.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Tri's and Abs yesterday along with cardio.

Went solid enough. Upped my numbers by about 10lbs on most exercises with good form, strict tempo and controlled movement.

Still having difficulties with the cable crunches. Just not feeling them. Trying all sorts of weight ranges to make sure I get the proper weight but nothing seems to help me feel it more. I do feel it on the crunch part.. just not on the negative. And, I rarely feel as though I trained abs when I am done.

The higher in weight I go.. the more tension on my elbows I get. And, I tried switching to a straight bar instead of a rope but didn't make a world of difference.

Will keep plugging away though!

Diet was spot on as usual. No issues there.

Was asked by a fellow gym member if I was losing weight. Technically.. not really as I am right around where I was when he would have last saw me (284 range) but I do feel trimmer. Mind? Could be. But sometimes the mind is what you need to keep pushing you through.