Having difficulty building my chest, any advice?

rockyt

Awards
I get results from the rest of my body, but just can't seem to build my chest.

Thanks!

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What Is your chest routine?What helped me is heavy bench
presses with dumbbells and also weighted dips.I use heavy weight and low sets.Also I do 3 sets of bodyweight dips followed with 2 sets of weighted dips.other great exercises are dumbbell flyes and incline or decline benchpress.You can also do different types of pushups(keeping hands wide,
keeping hands close together or just regular pushups)

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
full range of motion to start with, i see way too many guys in the gym not taking the bar or dumbells down far enough, have someone watch you while you do a set so they can be there to watch and also just in case you hit faliure and need a spot getting the bar back up

biggest mistake is attempting to exercise the ego by lifting too much which creates sloppy form and not enough time under tension.

also there is a tendancy to do too much and to hit the chest too many times during the week reaching a point of overtraining which stops growth

important to feel the weight in the chest when doing presses and not all in the shiulders and arms

these are just a couple of things i can offer at this point in time

cheers

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have to post so much about yourself before anyone can even attempt to try and solve your problem.

mySTI

Awards
Most likely, it's your form. Make sure your chest is working and not your shoulders or triceps during pressing movements.

mbj0186

Awards
I had the same problem a couple years back. Seemed like I could never get my chest sore, or even get a pump.

I found out my problem was trying to do too much weight. My shoulders were weaker than my chest. I lightened up the weight and kept good form and before I knew it my chest was growing at an enormous rate.

I had to lighten up so my shoulders could handle the weight and let them catch up to my chest. I also did a lot of heavy dumbbell presses for shoulders. Chest once a week has been the perfect strategy for me.

One technique I absolutely love is pre-exhausting my chest with flat bench dumbbell flyes. I do 3 sets of 12-15 reps to begin my workout to make sure my chest is good and warmed up before pounding heavy on the presses. My chest doesn't get good and warmed up until around my second or third exercise.

drksun

drksun

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what ive been doing to build my chest is called stop sets, you use the smith machine, set the stoppers so the bar rests right above your nipple line, then when you do a rep, take a 1-2sec break at the down point, so its completely rested on the stoppers, then explode up while exhaling, then come back down real slow and do it again..

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Like stated above, form is key and don't workout your ego (nicely said b unit). Your body doesn't know numbers, just your brain.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
focus more on the incline presses - this will build your upper chest, which comprises a lot of your chest's size. incline presses and flyes are probably the two best exercises i can think of, along with some cable crossovers

Mck42

Awards
i definitely agree with doing inclines, they help alot.also do some declines.