Gym Etiquette - Gym Laws

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
Karategirl already started a great thread, echoing many of my everyday gym peeves. So, I’m looking for idea’s to add to the Gym Laws on Toweldogz. So, what is it about people’s behavior in the gym that bothers you most?

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Our gym just ordered in 2 new 1000lb bars, gee all the 500's got bent :blink: So anyway I walk in and the owner is asking my training partner and myself not to use the new bars for our squats, deads or shrugs cause they don't want them getting bent as well! :wtf: I just don't see the logic. :thumbsup:

Yes we bent some of the others cause they are only 500 ponders, but the solution seems to let us use the shiny new 1000 pounders instead.

That annoyed me a little.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Karategirl already started a great thread, echoing many of my everyday gym peeves. So, I’m looking for idea’s to add to the Gym Laws on Toweldogz. So, what is it about people’s behavior in the gym that bothers you most?

Oh no.... you didn't go there. This is one of those never ending topics!

I'll only touch on the item that is freshest in my mind, as I saw it occur yet again yesterday: Studly guy (or so he thinks) grabs the 100 lb. dumbbells and carries them over to sit in front of his bench..... and then proceeds to stand nearby and look around for a good 10 minutes to see if anyone is watching him. He finally proceeds to do a set of .5 (yes, half a rep) reps before gruntly loudly and dropping the brand new shiny dumbbells to the floor. This is followed by 10 more minutes of standing near the dumbbells in hopes that someone will see.

BS Nutrition

Awards
What if I like to look around for 10 min dude? haha

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I hate the super sweaty guy with no towel.
I hate the guy who smells like ball juice, and he is usually the sweaty guy with no towel.
I hate the chick who wears a halter but has a booty doo, her stomach sticks out more than her booty do.
I hate the guy who does The TELEVEVANGLIST-Pat Robertson leg presses, or 1/8 inch squats.
I hate the girl who says eww why do you want to get so big, yet stares at me while I work out.
I hate the guy who asks what I eat, after he asked you the same thing last week, and the week before that yet he looks the same.
I hate the guy who looks the same after 3 years, yet wants to tell you how to do an excercise, and diet advice.
I hate the personal trainer who is fat.
I hate the personal trainer who works with a person on functional training, and core resistance when the client is trying to lose weight, not be Gunnar Peterson. (core strength is great, but shed some inches!!!)
I hate the guy who talks about steroids and supplements and how unhealthy they are, yet he is doing any rec drug he can, or lights up a cigarette after working out, or smells like cigaweed while doing squats.
Well I am sure I have more I will post once I come from the gym...

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Go on witcha' bad self Powerz.... You are illustrating a typical day at the gym.

That ball juice guy.... he works out at my gym too. Smelly bastard.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
LOL, nice list. These are always fun to read.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
People who do curls in the squat rack. :aargh:

Maybe a little off the weights path, but when the gym has nice amenities like a pool, racquetball courts, etc., but then goes to every length possible to close them off to everyone unless you're part of some structured class. At my last gym the courts were tied up from 6PM until 10PM for challenge court hours. No reserving during that time. The pool they just installed a month before I left was already full of people taking swimming lessons (at no extra charge to their existing membership) and other BS also at no extra charge, so no one could get a lap in unless they came in at 5:30 AM like me. And I don't swim laps, I just came in then because I could use the gym at that time without being bothered by all the other **** everyone else has already posted here and elsewhere.

And I guess this needs to be said, but don't piss in a public shower. For God's sake, go to the ****ing can.

And don't use the dental floss method for drying your ass and crotch. Not only are you dragging remnants of fecal matter to your sack for your girlfriend to chew on later, it's just ****ing stupid looking. Pat dry, and if you can't pat dry your own ass you should get back to the cardio room.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Hah. cool thread. Im subscribing. Sigh, I guess I should at least try to contribute while Im at it.

How about The guy who takes your station while your super-setting or giant setting w/out asking to work in first, even though your stuff is clearly placed @ the station.

The other day I was @ a 24 hour fitness and I was doing 4 consecutive exercises for abs. This guy jumps in on the only hang leg raise station. Im like "No biggie. We can share." to myself. But after he did a set he waited in the chair harness thingy till his next set. So after his second set I stated that I just need to do my last set real quick. And w/out saying a word he just left. I think he had planned on another set or two. I said "you dont gotta leave or nothing bro, I just need to do my last giant set." No reply. It was as if he was a 10 yr old kid and I was some shady character that offered him some crack or heroin. He just up and left w/out saying a word or doing his last sets. I just shrugged and did my last sets. Only a couple really big guys wkout there so maybe some people have a preconception of big guys as bullies due to lack of exposure to the versatility in personality types that comprise the bodybuilding community. I dont know. Somthin.:think:

ryano

Awards
  • Established
I cant stand people who throw dumbells on the floor... they could and sometimes break. I would hate to have one of those fall off on my face.

Its hard to hate the senior citizens...but inevitably those are the people who will take over a machine or bench in the middle of a set. Despite having a towel, notebook, pen and water bottle on the seat. Then you have to wait like 10 mins for them to crank out 5 reps.

Floaters in the whirlpool...some ******* set some turtles free in the whirlpool last year. It took me 6 months before I gathered enough courage to use it again.

The guy working out in his workboots and workgloves.

Of course those people who roll around all day on those giant stupid balls. I like to kick them (theballs) between sets.

People who dont strip their weights after their done.

*******s who take my towels!!! You know who you are!

Guys who stare a little too hard while your changing clothes...or try and strike up a conversation at the urinal. Dont talk to me when I have my johnson in my hand!

Farting in the steam room.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
People walking then standing right in front of me when I'm doing a lift in front of the mirror. Get the F&*k out of the way! Walk behind anyone using the mirror when their lifting - walk in front when they're resting. But god I could kill the guy that decides to park right in front of me and "think" or whatever he's doing.

People that drop weights and think it's cool. There's 1 chick at my gym that thinks she's a powerlifter or something - and drops the weights whenever she's done. Then she does some ape-walk to get water. She hasn't done it in a while though - I think she got a talking to, LoL.

People walking too close to me when I'm working out. Open your eyes people when you walk. I was in the middle (not starting, like 5 reps in) of doing side laterals when WHACK! - this guy walks straight into my swing. Now I'm a polite guy, but I'm not saying "I'm sorry" to you if you walk into me when I'm working out. You're just lucky they were light side laterals because you can injure me if I was doing heavy shoulder press or bench, etc.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
People walking too close to me when I'm working out. Open your eyes people when you walk. I was in the middle (not starting, like 5 reps in) of doing side laterals when WHACK! - this guy walks straight into my swing. Now I'm a polite guy, but I'm not saying "I'm sorry" to you if you walk into me when I'm working out. You're just lucky they were light side laterals because you can injure me if I was doing heavy shoulder press or bench, etc.
Something I've felt but never been able to articulate before now is this exact point. You can seriously mess someone up by interfering with them when they're lifting heavy and people, especially weekend warrior "just getting toned" types and "billion reps with 5lb dumbbells" women, do not take safety in the weight room seriously enough. Christ, 'lite' weight exercises can mess people up. A 185 bench doesn't sound too heavy until it comes down on you real fast because someone managed to **** up your grip/form enough to make you drop it, and it hits your chest, abdomen or even neck.

This is also a fault I put onto gym owners, trying to cram as much equipment as possible into a room without considering the possible safety hazzard of having equipment stations so close you can barely walk between them when no one is using them, much less when the bars/machines are in motion.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Not as bad as the guy who decided to use the barbell I was in the middle of using during inclines as a arm rest. I dont go to that gym anymore for that reason.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Not as bad as the guy who decided to use the barbell I was in the middle of using during inclines as a arm rest. I dont go to that gym anymore for that reason.
That's just screwed up.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
That's just screwed up.
Yep the barbell went really heavy to one side because of this. It crashed down on to my chest but I controlled it enough not to get hurt. Then I rolled it down to my lap. All the guy said was "sorry" as I had this loaded barbell on my lap. He had a vacant look in his eyes then he left the section I was in and I never saw him again. Thats pretty much the incentive I needed to leave that overcrowded place.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Yep the barbell went really heavy to one side because of this. It crashed down on to my chest but I controlled it enough not to get hurt. Then I rolled it down to my lap. All the guy said was "sorry" as I had this loaded barbell on my lap. He had a vacant look in his eyes then he left the section I was in and I never saw him again. Thats pretty much the incentive I needed to leave that overcrowded place.
I have no clue what I would have done. I'd like to think I would have at least said something witty to the prick to make him feel like an *******, but stupidity on that level can often leave you at a loss for words.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
Speaking of people doing stupid **** - like resting on a barbell almost injurying you - I was doing cable rows last night - I pull back for my first one and literraly was rocked by a girl who was not paying attention when she was walking and ran into me - it's a college gym and it's packed right now - she yelled sorry and kept walking - when I finished my set I found her and cused her out - she was embarresed and left the gym - that crap is uncalled for. If you cant' pay attention for other peoples safety you do not need to be there, I don't care how crowded it is.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
People who do curls in the squat rack. :aargh:
That never made sense to me. It esspecially sucks when theres only one power rack and they occupy it for set after set.

And I guess this needs to be said, but don't piss in a public shower. For God's sake, go to the ****ing can.
Sooooooo, I guess taking dumps in the public shower is just OUT then right? JK

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
That never made sense to me. It esspecially sucks when theres only one power rack and they occupy it for set after set.

Sooooooo, I guess taking dumps in the public shower is just OUT then right? JK
I would hope so, but with the way gyms were going when I started training at home I wouldn't be surprised to find a floater or two in the shower or pool.

BS Nutrition

Awards
Speaking of people doing stupid **** - like resting on a barbell almost injurying you - I was doing cable rows last night - I pull back for my first one and literraly was rocked by a girl who was not paying attention when she was walking and ran into me - it's a college gym and it's packed right now - she yelled sorry and kept walking - when I finished my set I found her and cused her out - she was embarresed and left the gym - that crap is uncalled for. If you cant' pay attention for other peoples safety you do not need to be there, I don't care how crowded it is.
Good call. College gyms suck big time. I dreaded going to my gym when I was at school.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Amazingly, mine didn't suck all that bad if you knew when to go, and you didn't even have to go super early or super late. But yes, at times we had sooooooo many "peacocks" out and about, struttin around doused in cologne and showing off their invisible lats and hyoooooge arms, while doing their best to hide their itty-bitty chicken legs.... (or the female version, dressing in as little as possible/tight as possible, wearing a bunch of makeup, perfume, and often dangly jewlwery) but yah, I guess I was very lucky.

ManBeast

BS Nutrition

Awards
struttin around doused in cologne and showing off their invisible lats and hyoooooge arms
ManBeast
Thats too funny, but so true. I have to confess though...my girlfriend would wear big ass hoop earings to use the elyptical machine. Yes, shes latino (Colombian). And no I didnt tell her not too, because she just looked too damb hot!

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Good call. College gyms suck big time. I dreaded going to my gym when I was at school.

YMCA's are just as bad :) ALmost same crowd PLUS you get the teens using the benches as sofa's AND the Seniors hanging out naked in the changing room.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I'm using a YMCA now... I totally think it can get much worse than my college gym ever did, but I have managed to avoid any typical rush hours there so far.

ManBeast

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I'm using a YMCA now... I totally think it can get much worse than my college gym ever did, but I have managed to avoid any typical rush hours there so far.

ManBeast
That was my system while working out there. Going during the mornings or later in the evening. But with work and all that got impossible. I was damn lucky to find a great gym a 3 min walk from work :)

TarHeelTrainer

Awards
1. "Beach workouts." (Chest, Biceps, Abs)
2. The nudist colony. (Mens locker room)
3. People who leave their weights NEXT to the racks.
4. People who don't re-rack their weights at all.
5. I love women who lift but can't stand women who use incorrect form because their fake "powerlifter/'pro' bodybuilder" boyfriend told them to.
6. People who bench more than they squat.
7. People who talk more than they lift.
8. People who brag about their "killer" leg workout that consists of 2 sets of curls/extensions.
9. Ipods so freakin' loud everyone else has to hear it.
10. People who b*tch about the gym's music. I know it sucks but you only have to listen to it for an hour. I listen to it all day!
11. Guys who take ph/ps and tell me its all about the diet/training. If you know what you're doing I've got no problems with it...just have the balls to admit it.
12. Guys who don't know how to cycle/post-cycle properly. There are too many quality forums (such as this one) available to screw up your body like that. Bodybuilding is a science, please treat is as one. Do your research and learn from others mistakes.

Sorry to rant... been at the gym all day, had to vent.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
So true on all of them. I remember ranting about those things, but I STILL miss working at a gym.

ManBeast

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1. "Beach workouts." (Chest, Biceps, Abs)
2. The nudist colony. (Mens locker room)
3. People who leave their weights NEXT to the racks.
4. People who don't re-rack their weights at all.
5. I love women who lift but can't stand women who use incorrect form because their fake "powerlifter/'pro' bodybuilder" boyfriend told them to.
6. People who bench more than they squat.
7. People who talk more than they lift.
8. People who brag about their "killer" leg workout that consists of 2 sets of curls/extensions.
9. Ipods so freakin' loud everyone else has to hear it.
10. People who b*tch about the gym's music. I know it sucks but you only have to listen to it for an hour. I listen to it all day!
11. Guys who take ph/ps and tell me its all about the diet/training. If you know what you're doing I've got no problems with it...just have the balls to admit it.
12. Guys who don't know how to cycle/post-cycle properly. There are too many quality forums (such as this one) available to screw up your body like that. Bodybuilding is a science, please treat is as one. Do your research and learn from others mistakes.

Sorry to rant... been at the gym all day, had to vent.
That's some good stuff

bigblue01

Awards
People who stare.
People who want to "work in" for a couple of sets and then talk to you like you are their best friend.
People who complain about chalk being left on the bar.
People you can tell are waiting for you to look at them before they do their set.
People who flex in the mirror.
People who wear wife beaters when they lift.
The guy that stands next to the tradmill trying to talk to the girl that is ignoring him (this guy also does his hair with gel before he goes out to lift)

And that was just this week.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
A new first for me. the other night in 24 Hr this 20sh chick (looked like an overweight guy) with the black and blue tinted semi mowhawk is on the weighted ab crunch.

I waited thru her first set, she sits up and looks down while resting on the machine. I'm standing there waiting, she just ignored me.

I look down and she had brought her portable DVD player in and was watching a movie!!

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This older guy used to come into my gym wearing daisy dukes and I swear he would try to find new ways to "hang out" each time he came in. Whenever I saw him come in I had to make sure I was on the opposite of the gym or at least be doing something in which Mr. Dangles wasn't in my line of sight...and of course he was on of those guys that always wanted to be talking to you. It was awful.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I was going to complain... but after reading some of the new ones... I decided that I really can't at this point... The chick with the DVD player is freakin going to be a classic...

ManBeast

PhoebeusFenix

Awards
I would hope so, but with the way gyms were going when I started training at home I wouldn't be surprised to find a floater or two in the shower or pool.
KNow whats gross? I work in a gym and ive had to go "turd fishing" about 10 times this year(in the pool)

Chemist2234

Chemist2234

Awards
If you've lifted in a college gym...You know the guy who walks in fully clothed, sometimes still in his jacket. he goes striaght to the EZ curl bar and does as many sets as he can before his next class starts....

Or the guy who walks in with jeans and a wife beater and he looks like he just spent 10 mins rolling in dirt before he came in and his hair looks like he ran vegetable oil through it. as if it couldnt get worse he has those cut off finger gloves on and does 2 sets of curls and leaves....

I cant believe the DVD player story...im still laughing :lol:

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
1.people who ask you to spot them and put on to much weight to show off and the do 1 or 2 half reps and go again and i end up lifting the wieght
2.the little guys who come walkin right up to me saying i'll be bigger than u in a couple of weeks....and i don't even know who the f#@# these kids are
3.what do u eat? .........FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!
4.the guys that come over will i'm doing curls and grab the 90's and hammer curl them by bringing their shoulder to the wieght and then say i got 8

:frustrate :rant: :blink: :confused: thats better

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thats too funny, but so true. I have to confess though...my girlfriend would wear big ass hoop earings to use the elyptical machine. Yes, shes latino (Colombian). And no I didnt tell her not too, because she just looked too damb hot!

I have to admit that I honestly do NOT mind the ladies comming in a little "dressed up". Cute athletic cloaths dont bother me, a little jewlry doesn't bother me, hell, even some makeup doens't bother me.
There's this one lady I see from time to time, who wares jeans with a spandex-like sport bra thing. But she does her sh#t.
Honestly, I do a squirt of cologn on the wife-beat before I head to the gym. By then, Ive kinda just rode 2 miles home from work, I KNOW Im going to sweat out my shirt,.. my version of preventative "the guy who smells like balls". Plus, the ladies love it- not that they talk to me or I them while their there,..
Im just saying, unless it's ridiculass, They can look good if they want to. It doesn't effect my workout (maybe it makes me do a little extra cardio, or stay on the abs a little longer :p) and in a way, at least their there... looking pretty damn decent.

This does NOT apply to those who obviously don't already ahve a firm grasp on what their doing, or are there just to talk to the guys..

It's a delicate ballance of apprecieation, one which nicely exists in my gym. I know MY workout is getting done, and some nice sceenery durring rest periods helps.
(plus, every now and then I find myself tring to show off a bit- why, I dont know- but If I can pull an extra 10lbs tring to impress one of the cutties just for the hell of it,.. well, thats fine by me.... I might even tell her thanks ... maybe)

schlam_of

Awards
Hard to beat the DVD chick, but here is my new found classic:

The typical Gold's trophy wife that is on the stairmaster, tight clothes, all done up..the problem you ask? the fact that she is having an extended conversation about nothing on her cell phone...

I swear if she didn't say anything the person on the other end would have no idea she was at a gym..now thats a great workout!

Slyder1

Awards
Personal Peeves

I am only speaking from my experience. Keeping in mind, I work out in a real "gym", mostly steel and a separate level for cardio.

I hate the fu**ing guy who does his entire 45 min routine on the cable machine. We have only one and he gets there about 4:30 PM, right in the heart of the day and sit on the damn thing for almost an hour and will not let anyone work in.

Last week, I showed up early and was waiting for someone to get off and sure enough, in comes the dude. He steps up and I go over and say, hey I have 6 sets to go on tris, sorry. He got so pissed off.

The other thing I hate is the social "butt"erfly. The guy that does one set then stands around for literally 10 mins bull****ting with his buddies, loudly no less. And usually its right next to me, and they are so loud that my ipod does not drown them out. I hate that ****, there are a few guys that run when they see me coming because I will tell them to either work out somewhere else or stop being nancies and work out now. I love it.

And finally, the guy who throws the dumbbells on the floor, I mean come on. I use 80's and stand up with them, in fact its fairly easy as the weight as it is swung down to your sides actually makes it easy to stand up with them.

I have more, but no one will read a post that is much longer than this one.:saw:

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
I wish the gym would enforce the towel rule. There's way too many sweaty dudes leaving the area drenched, ugh.

This one guy was busy toweling off after a shower and talking to strangers while doing so. What a class act.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
That day at the gym, they asked if I brought a towel.....

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
But naked dudes in the steam room no towel even to sit on. my first and last trip to the steam .

babolat

babolat

Board Sponsor
Awards
I dont even go into the locker room at my gym anymore because of the guys that sit naked on the benches, brush their teeth naked at the sinks (during which process the lean and "contact" large portions of the countertop), and leave sweat spots where they sit in the locker room.

Nearly every bench in the weight areas has sweat puddles, and its always either right before or after I sit/laydown/touch the bench or equipment that i notice it!