I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Green Tea Weight Loss

A scientific study demonstrating weight loss through green tea
Didier PH Martin, MSc, MBA

Green Tea Guide Weight Loss

Green tea weight loss? Until recently, I though that green tea was the basic ingredient of an oriental tea ritual.

Seriously, I discovered that it could be a powerful weapon to fight fat after reading a scientific paper in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Clinical studies conducted by Dr. Abdul Dulloo, of the University of Geneva in Switzerlands brought the conclusion that green tea weight loss programs raises metabolic rates and speeds up fat oxidation.

As part of their study, the investigators measured the 24-hour energy expenditure of 10 healthy men receiving three doses of caffeine (50 mg), green tea extract (containing 50 mg caffeine and 90 mg epigallocatechin), or a 'dummy' placebo per day. The study authors report that, compared with placebo, subject taking green tea extract had a "significant increase" (+4%) in daily energy expenditure.

As Dr Abdul Dulloo mentioned about this experimental green tea weight loss program,

"Stimulation of thermogenesis and fat oxidation by the green tea extract" did not raise subjects' heart rates, the researchers note. This may render green tea superior to stimulant diet drugs, which can have adverse cardiac effects, especially in "obese individuals with hypertension and other cardiovascular complications."

Already lauded as a powerful antioxidant, green tea extract may also help dieters shed fat. This effect is not linked to the relatively small amounts of caffeine found in tea, since the study subjects receiving amounts of caffeine similar to those found in green tea displayed no change in daily energy output. Dulloo's team, when questioned about the green tea weight loss study pointed out that "there are only two ways to treat obesity: reduce energy intake (i.e., dieting), or increase energy expenditure.'' According to their analysis, green tea extract seems to perform the latter function, although the mechanisms behind its action remain unclear.

The investigators note, however, that green tea extract contains a high amount of catechin polyphenols. These compounds may work with other chemicals to increase levels of fat oxidation and thermogenesis, where the body burns fuel such as fat to create heat.

The positive points about this experimental green tea weight loss program using green tea extracts (or natural):

* It doesn't raise heart rates.
* It stimulates thermogenenis and fat oxydation.
* University of Geneva experiment's subjects had a significant increase (4%) in daily energy expenditure.

You can imagine that after reading such serious study and being myself a bit overweight, I tried it. In the past, even if I increased my physical activities by going to the gym, a small belly pot was resisting to all these efforts. When I gave a try to the green tea weight loss program suggested by the University study, guess what, the belly pot disappeared right on time for the summer season.

Dulloo A, et al. Efficacy of a green tea extract rich in catechin polyphenols and caffeine in increasing 24-h energy expenditure and fat oxidation in humans. Amer J Clin Nutr 1999;70:1040-45.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Bob, do u suggest it be added in my EC stack? I have some caps laying around.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Sure.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for not giving me the long version :)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Welcome