GMs Critique

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Really haven't done a lot of Gms and starting to introduce them more. Any help or comments on how wrong it is and how to correct will help.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I don't do a lot of good mornings but it looks good to me,

@Hyde

Form check homie

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I started doing gms too. I seem to like the bar position similar to low bar squat

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’d say it all looks kosher to me. Good mornings can be done with all kinds of bar & foot position, as well as ROM, tempo, rep range.

The 3 best golden rules I believe in is you need to absolutely get tight & stay tight in the core through the entire rep, never go to a true 1RM because the risk/benefit ratio is poor, and the knees should stay unlocked. When I first taught myself to do them after seeing them online I tore my hamstring fairly seriously by doing them with totally locked knees. There’s no need for that, and it would have prevented a month layoff and a nagging issue that has retorn several times over the years.

Also, maxing out on them I damaged a vertebrae in my thoracic spine years ago. And for what? Nobody cares what you good morning. Pushing them up is a means to an end, remember that. The numbers are for your reference only. A rep max is as useful or more than knowing 1RM.

I started doing gms too. I seem to like the bar position similar to low bar squat
When using a straight bar, I prefer them low bar. Less chance of losing control of the bar, better leverage to lift more weight, but also feels safer on the low back. One of the rare times where I think it’s safer using more load vs a harder setup.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’d say it all looks kosher to me. Good mornings can be done with all kinds of bar & foot position, as well as ROM, tempo, rep range.

The 3 best golden rules I believe in is you need to absolutely get tight & stay tight in the core through the entire rep, never go to a true 1RM because the risk/benefit ratio is poor, and the knees should stay unlocked. When I first taught myself to do them after seeing them online I tore my hamstring fairly seriously by doing them with totally locked knees. There’s no need for that, and it would have prevented a month layoff and a nagging issue that has retorn several times over the years.

Also, maxing out on them I damaged a vertebrae in my thoracic spine years ago. And for what? Nobody cares what you good morning. Pushing them up is a means to an end, remember that. The numbers are for your reference only. A rep max is as useful or more than knowing 1RM.

When using a straight bar, I prefer them low bar. Less chance of losing control of the bar, better leverage to lift more weight, but also feels safer on the low back. One of the rare times where I think it’s safer using more load vs a harder setup.
Thanks a ton Hyde. Before I was doing them high bar but my lower back was hurting in a bad way so decide to change to low and felt a lot better afterwards. Was sore in a good way.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Looking clean. Hip hinge mimics RDL and spine is locked. I agree with using low bar when going Raleigh a straight bar. Anymore I always use Duffalo or specialty bar to really get focus on the movement itself. It’s a great exercise to do for reps against bands as well!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looking clean. Hip hinge mimics RDL and spine is locked. I agree with using low bar when going Raleigh a straight bar. Anymore I always use Duffalo or specialty bar to really get focus on the movement itself. It’s a great exercise to do for reps against bands as well!
It was great with the buffalo bar the other day!