glucophage

bbkhan87

bbkhan87

Awards
how does one dose this and how are gains on a bulking regimen with this, holla!!!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
500 to 875mg 3 times a day with meals. Im taking just 500mg twice a day. I notice it cuts my appetite just slightly down and im a lil leaner looking in the midsection. 3g a day is around max level dose in a day.

babyblu

babyblu

Awards
  • Established
Just remember that glucophage while not 17-a methylated does tax your liver. I would not run glucophage w/any oral AAS.

bb

bbkhan87

bbkhan87

Awards
thanks guys one question glucophage stacked with pegmgf or halodrol clone, would there be incredible synergy?

babyblu

babyblu

Awards
  • Established
I might be wrong but there are definitely effects on the liver.

BRAND NAME: Glucophage , Glucophage XR, Glumetza

DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Metformin is an oral medication that lowers blood glucose (sugar) and is used for treating type 2 diabetes. Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas that lowers glucose levels in blood by reducing the amount of glucose made by the liver and by increasing the removal of glucose from the blood by muscle and fat tissues. Diabetes results because of reduced production of insulin and reduced uptake (and effects) of insulin on the body's tissues. Metformin acts by increasing the sensitivity of liver, muscle, fat, and other tissues to the uptake and effects of insulin. These actions lower the level of sugar in the blood. Unlike glucose-lowering drugs of the sulfonylurea class, e.g. glyburide (Micronase; Diabeta) or glipizide (Glucotrol), metformin does not increase the concentration of insulin in the blood and, therefore, does not cause excessively low blood glucose levels (hypoglycemia) when used alone. In scientific studies, metformin reduced the complications of diabetes such as heart disease, blindness and kidney disease. Metformin was approved by the FDA in December of 1994.

PRESCRIPTION: Yes

GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes

PREPARATIONS: Metformin tablets: 500, 850, and 1000 mg. Glucophage XR (extended release) tablets: 500 and 750 mg. Glumetza tablets(extended release) 500 and 1000 mg.

STORAGE: Store at room temperature between 20-25°C (68-77°F).

PRESCRIBED FOR: Metformin is used for treating type II diabetes in adults and children. It may be used alone or in combination with other diabetic medications. Metformin also has been used to prevent the development of diabetes in people at risk for diabetes and to treat polycystic ovaries.

DOSING: For adults, metformin usually is begun at a dose of 500 mg twice a day or 850 mg once daily. The dose is gradually increased by 500 mg weekly or 850 mg every two weeks as tolerated and based on the response of the levels of glucose in the blood. The maximum daily dose is 2550 mg given in three divided doses. If Glucophage XR tablets are used, the starting dose is 500 mg daily with the evening meal. The dose can be increased by 500 mg weekly up to a maximum dose of 2000 mg once daily or in two divided doses. Glumetza tablets are given once daily. Metformin should be taken with meals.

For pediatric patients 10-16 years of age, the starting dose is 500 mg twice a day. Dosage can be increased by 500 mg weekly up to a maximum dose of 2000 mg. Glucophage XR has not been studied in children.
DRUG INTERACTIONS: Cimetidine (Tagamet), by decreasing the elimination of metformin from the body, can increase the amount of metformin in the blood by 40%. This may increase the frequency of side effects from metformin.

PREGNANCY: There are no adequate studies in pregnant women. Most experts agree that insulin is the best treatment for pregnant women with diabetes.

NURSING MOTHERS: Metformin is excreted into breast milk and can therefore be transferred to the nursing infant. Nursing mothers should not use metformin.

SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects with metformin are nausea, vomiting, gas, bloating, diarrhea and loss of appetite. These symptoms occur in one out of every three patients. These side effects may be severe enough to cause therapy to be discontinued in one out of every 20 patients. These side effects are related to the dose of the medication and may decrease if the dose is reduced.

A serious--though rare--side effect of metformin is lactic acidosis. Lactic acidosis occurs in one out of every 30,000 patients and is fatal in 50% of cases. The symptoms of lactic acidosis are weakness, trouble breathing, abnormal heartbeats, unusual muscle pain, stomach discomfort, light-headedness and feeling cold. Patients at risk for lactic acidosis include those with reduced function of the kidneys or liver, congestive heart failure, severe acute illnesses, and dehydration.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I might be wrong but there are definitely effects on the liver.

BRAND NAME: Glucophage , Glucophage XR, Glumetza

DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Metformin is an oral medication that lowers blood glucose (sugar) and is used for treating type 2 diabetes. Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas that lowers glucose levels in blood by reducing the amount of glucose made by the liver and by increasing the removal of glucose from the blood by muscle and fat tissues. Diabetes results because of reduced production of insulin and reduced uptake (and effects) of insulin on the body's tissues. Metformin acts by increasing the sensitivity of liver, muscle, fat, and other tissues to the uptake and effects of insulin. These actions lower the level of sugar in the blood. Unlike glucose-lowering drugs of the sulfonylurea class, e.g. glyburide (Micronase; Diabeta) or glipizide (Glucotrol), metformin does not increase the concentration of insulin in the blood and, therefore, does not cause excessively low blood glucose levels (hypoglycemia) when used alone. In scientific studies, metformin reduced the complications of diabetes such as heart disease, blindness and kidney disease. Metformin was approved by the FDA in December of 1994.

PRESCRIPTION: Yes

GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes

PREPARATIONS: Metformin tablets: 500, 850, and 1000 mg. Glucophage XR (extended release) tablets: 500 and 750 mg. Glumetza tablets(extended release) 500 and 1000 mg.

STORAGE: Store at room temperature between 20-25°C (68-77°F).

PRESCRIBED FOR: Metformin is used for treating type II diabetes in adults and children. It may be used alone or in combination with other diabetic medications. Metformin also has been used to prevent the development of diabetes in people at risk for diabetes and to treat polycystic ovaries.

DOSING: For adults, metformin usually is begun at a dose of 500 mg twice a day or 850 mg once daily. The dose is gradually increased by 500 mg weekly or 850 mg every two weeks as tolerated and based on the response of the levels of glucose in the blood. The maximum daily dose is 2550 mg given in three divided doses. If Glucophage XR tablets are used, the starting dose is 500 mg daily with the evening meal. The dose can be increased by 500 mg weekly up to a maximum dose of 2000 mg once daily or in two divided doses. Glumetza tablets are given once daily. Metformin should be taken with meals.

For pediatric patients 10-16 years of age, the starting dose is 500 mg twice a day. Dosage can be increased by 500 mg weekly up to a maximum dose of 2000 mg. Glucophage XR has not been studied in children.
DRUG INTERACTIONS: Cimetidine (Tagamet), by decreasing the elimination of metformin from the body, can increase the amount of metformin in the blood by 40%. This may increase the frequency of side effects from metformin.

PREGNANCY: There are no adequate studies in pregnant women. Most experts agree that insulin is the best treatment for pregnant women with diabetes.

NURSING MOTHERS: Metformin is excreted into breast milk and can therefore be transferred to the nursing infant. Nursing mothers should not use metformin.

SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects with metformin are nausea, vomiting, gas, bloating, diarrhea and loss of appetite. These symptoms occur in one out of every three patients. These side effects may be severe enough to cause therapy to be discontinued in one out of every 20 patients. These side effects are related to the dose of the medication and may decrease if the dose is reduced.

A serious--though rare--side effect of metformin is lactic acidosis. Lactic acidosis occurs in one out of every 30,000 patients and is fatal in 50% of cases. The symptoms of lactic acidosis are weakness, trouble breathing, abnormal heartbeats, unusual muscle pain, stomach discomfort, light-headedness and feeling cold. Patients at risk for lactic acidosis include those with reduced function of the kidneys or liver, congestive heart failure, severe acute illnesses, and dehydration.

hmmm. well obviously it has an effect on the liver, but I havent found anything that suggests its notably toxic.... I mean the liver does so much...and almost everything has some sort of interaction with the liver. I would be curious to look into this more. I will post if I find anything ..

Jarconis

Jarconis

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hmmm. well obviously it has an effect on the liver, but I havent found anything that suggests its notably toxic.... I mean the liver does so much...and almost everything has some sort of interaction with the liver. I would be curious to look into this more. I will post if I find anything ..
thats just the standard warning that they would give with any medication. If it really did majorly tax the liver, doctors wouldn't hand out scripts for this stuff like candy, both my folks take it as do millions others. Besides, any responsible AAS user is on some kind of liver protectant anyway. I use glucophage and I love it, using it on a CKD diet and saving it for you refeed days, it's ftw.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
guys IM trying to get a quick answer here. I have the appropriate thread started in the appropriate section (nutrition) about insulin and blood glucose. anyone know if low dose 2-5iu fast acting humalog insulin would interfere or cause health problems while running ECA?

I have heard both sides, one saying that ECA increases BG concentrations and therefor I think insulin couldnt hurt if only PWO. And I have heard that it would not be suggested.

SOLARUS

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys one question glucophage stacked with pegmgf or halodrol clone, would there be incredible synergy?
nope.

glucophage is sh1t - it has virtually no bodybuilding application, especially when you are trying GAIN mass. it might help a tiny bit on a cut, but that's it....also, it lowers testosterone.

trust me i have used it plenty.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
nope.

glucophage is sh1t - it has virtually no bodybuilding application, especially when you are trying GAIN mass. it might help a tiny bit on a cut, but that's it....also, it lowers testosterone.

trust me i have used it plenty.
You kind of make a good point here. When a non-diabetic begins eating food, the insulin that's released tells the liver to "shut its door" and to quit releasing glucose since you now can now receive glucose from the food that you're eating. However, with some type 2 diabetics, the liver doesn't shut off at that point and continues to produce unnecessary glucose into the blood stream. As a result hyperglycemia results. Glucophage works on inhibiting the liver from releasing excessive glucose when other carbohydrate sources are noted within the blood stream.

This medication has absolutely no significant benefit for use in bodybuilding what-so-ever. It DOES NOT act like insulin. It controls diabetes through a different pathway. Studies with weight loss from glucophage have been very inconclusive.

Glucophage has a more significant risk for those with renal(kidney)problems, but hepatic issues are also a concern especially if they are pre-existant.

limiltlessbio

Awards
So I disagree here peeps I think that glucophage is a glucose disposal agent with flatty and high sugar meals. While it does interferes with igf spike don’t take it with GH. I have had great success with it all the people talking sh*t obviously aren’t eating enough. Large amounts of food in the body especially like 6 meals a day and when running GH which is an amazing fat cutter you can burn through 5000 calories easy if your training right. Many pros and avid users have posted positive reviews but it seems the guys that are just passing through bodybuilding would not be a good choice those guys fall off and disappear . If your looking for an uptake product and have a low carb diet it provides some nutrients partitioning and glucose disposal.