Frozen foods...are they ok?

UberPooper1

Awards
  • Established
So I was rummaging through my freezer and looked at a few of the things my roomate had sitting in the door. One that mainly cought my eye was Gordon's Fish Fillet. Each fillet had 17g of protein (2 in a box), no trans fat, 6g fat and 1 carb. Are these an okay item to eat? I would like to try them post workout with a some rice and veggies. sounds good to me. normally i stay away from frozen foods but this looked pretty good. could you guys recommend any other frozen foods that you have liked using?

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So I was rummaging through my freezer and looked at a few of the things my roomate had sitting in the door. One that mainly cought my eye was Gordon's Fish Fillet. Each fillet had 17g of protein (2 in a box), no trans fat, 6g fat and 1 carb. Are these an okay item to eat? I would like to try them post workout with a some rice and veggies. sounds good to me. normally i stay away from frozen foods but this looked pretty good. could you guys recommend any other frozen foods that you have liked using?
Frozen foods have a lot of sodium. I'd avoid them if at all possible.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
The fact that is frozen means nothing. Frozen foods retain their nutritional value. Just watch that it has not heavily processed. Frozen veggies are great. Very nutritios and convenient. Sodium can be an issue but take a look at how much is in your cans of Tuna. Doesn't stop us from tearin through a can of them badboys. (I use Trader Joes no sodium Tongol however) Another example: this can of chunk chicken breast I am holding has 1380mg and it aint frozen. :D

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
yep, I agree w/ BP, I eat frozen stuff all the time, frozen fruit w/ splenda, brocolli, and I know that the gorton's fish fillets are good things to add to your diet.

And the whole sodium thing isn't really an issue unless you are prone to hypertension or you are in a precontest mode, but for the most part it's not something to really worry about. Just think about how much cottage cheese has in one serving (mine has 430mg). I would be having some serious problems if NA+ were an issue

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The fact that is frozen means nothing. Frozen foods retain their nutritional value. Just watch that it has not heavily processed. Frozen veggies are great. Very nutritios and convenient. Sodium can be an issue but take a look at how much is in your cans of Tuna. Doesn't stop us from tearin through a can of them badboys. (I use Trader Joes no sodium Tongol however) Another example: this can of chunk chicken breast I am holding has 1380mg and it aint frozen. :D
Some of the frozen meals that TJs sell are damn phenomenal!!!!! Any chinese meals, etc.

Also, for the tuna. I get albacore and I run it under water for about a minute or so and squeeze out a bunch of salt.