Front hip pain during sumo deadlifts and deep squats

Papichulo

Awards
During sumo deadlifts I get pain in the front of hip near hip flexors and groin then sustain pain for 4-5 mins then it goes aways. During heavy sumo deadlifts i can't even get weight above the ground due to intense pain. I tried some exercises but nothing worked. Same with squats when i try to hit depth it pains like hell.

Weight 155
Sumo dead 300 can't get over it cuz of pain

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How narrow do you squat and do any other movements cause you pain?

Is this something new or did it start as less of an issue and build over time?

Papichulo

Awards
How narrow do you squat and do any other movements cause you pain?

Is this something new or did it start as less of an issue and build over time?
I got pretty wide stance for squat with feets angled outwards

No, it's sumo deadlifts and squats only than causes pain

I started lifting like 2 months ago and recently started to lift heavy so don't know bout much but i try to have good form as possible but it still persist

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What does the pain feel like (dull sharp burning etc)?

Does it start as soon as you do the lift, mid way, after it ends?

Does it linger or feel it later in the day or in days off?

Sorry for lots of questions!

Papichulo

Awards
What does the pain feel like (dull sharp burning etc)?

Does it start as soon as you do the lift, mid way, after it ends?

Does it linger or feel it later in the day or in days off?

Sorry for lots of questions!
As soon as I slack on the bar i get intense sharp pain around my front hip, I get it with 330lbs on the bar.
But sometime when I hip thrust to lock out it pains even with light weight ( that pain is not as sharp or intense)

Just after squat or deadlifts i do have problem walking but it gets normal after 5-10mins.

Drolball

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
your body may not like wide stances, or you can try some dynamic warmups prior to the exercise.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You are new to lifting, new to lifting wide, new to lifting heavy. You’re just overdoing it a bit; it’s all new and your hips aren’t adapted yet. Wide takes time to strengthen.

Take a few weeks off sumo stance. Pull some RDLs and do front squats for a 3-week wave. These will force the hips to take a break some & reduce load on the bar.

Also during those 3 weeks, start mashing your psoas & bottoms of feet with a lacrosse ball, foamroll your IT bands, and do a couple sets of bodyweight split squats or lunges before you perform your compound barbell work. This should take 10 minutes total, tops. It only takes 30-60 seconds to mash/roll a spot, so keep it moving and get your heart rate up so you are warmer and less tight when you do get to the big lifts.

Papichulo

Awards
You are new to lifting, new to lifting wide, new to lifting heavy. You’re just overdoing it a bit; it’s all new and your hips aren’t adapted yet. Wide takes time to strengthen.

Take a few weeks off sumo stance. Pull some RDLs and do front squats for a 3-week wave. These will force the hips to take a break some & reduce load on the bar.

Also during those 3 weeks, start mashing your psoas & bottoms of feet with a lacrosse ball, foamroll your IT bands, and do a couple sets of bodyweight split squats or lunges before you perform your compound barbell work. This should take 10 minutes total, tops. It only takes 30-60 seconds to mash/roll a spot, so keep it moving and get your heart rate up so you are warmer and less tight when you do get to the big lifts.
I watched sowm videos from squat University it's seems like abductor problem but i tried their exercise but they don't seem to helpe out

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I watched sowm videos from squat University it's seems like abductor problem but i tried their exercise but they don't seem to helpe out
You can’t exercise your way out of an overuse injury, grasshopper.

The reason I told you 3 weeks is because it will take time & rest to calm your hip pain down. So I gave you other productive things to build while you wait. The best sumo deadlifters must do conventional variations to keep their back & hamstrings strong; sumo is to display maximal strength, but it is a poor builder overall, by comparison. I also gave you mobilization drills to help take tension off of the hips further in that time, and to better prepare you to operate in that wide stance when you do resume it.

Also, when you return to wide stance, don’t go as wide initially. Work your way out slowly, 1/2-1” a week. In a couple months you can probably be as wide as you like. Chuck Vogelpohl didn’t build his stance overnight.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya I'd agree and say give it a bit of a break and then you may need to play around with your width and foot position on the lifts.

It can be hard to diagnose the specifics of a problem online so it could still be a decent variety of issues. Also keep in mind you may need to work through a few "weak" spots and continually work to improve strength in various areas to help offset any issues (especially if wide stance work is something you want to stick with).

That said, again I'd agree with above, then probably roll through some check points to help determine potential areas of help.

I'd try to figure out if it is an actual bone/hip build issue. Playing around with stance and positioning can help with this. Not everyone is built to squat and deadlift with the same stance.

Next if stance or hip structure doesn't seem to be the major issue then from what you've said I'd try to see if you can strengthen your hip flexors and see if you can maybe alleviate any current aggravation of your psoas.

With that you then may need to just experiment a bit to find what is limiting you personally to help iron out the issue. QL, ADDuctors, Glutes, etc. could be a combination of and specifics will depend on your build, weaknesses, etc.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That's a really great channel. But u are misdiagnosing the problem. The way you describe your pain, I have a suspicion this is a labral issue. Go see a sport PT. Don't let him or her just tell u that u have tight hip flexors or weak abductors. I think u have more than that going on.