ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Nice work!
Thanks dude! Wrecked my elbows again though. Ugh.

Something's gotta give cause it put a damper on bench today. Couldn't even finish my warm up without worrying I was gonna drop the bar. Only made it to a single at 250 and that took 3 tries unracking it. I think I need to start using the SSB again, but with the looming comp, I'm concerned with straying from a straight bar right now

In unrelated squat business, I've been wearing my Notorious Lift shoes for all lifts for the past couple years. I always lifted barefoot until I started training at a gym and picking up metal splinters in my feet from the garage floor. I've been considering a lifter for squats. Are they worth it? I've never lifted with an elevated heel. Considering trying the Romaleos.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have been told first gen romaleos were the best. My buddy has some but prefers his do wins.

My first gen Reebok lifters were better than later models but I love my old school ristos so much that after ten years I spent $150 having a cobler restore them.

Long story short I prefer heels for anything other than deads personally. I need them for Oly.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've heard that about the first gens. That's awesome you got a shoe you love rebuilt. I'm considering my first rebuild on a pair of work boots. It's the first pair I've had that the uppers weren't too trashed to make it worthwhile.

I have a pretty wide stance so I'm not sure if they would really benefit me. The extra stability in the foot is intriguing though.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The Romaleos 2 were probably the goat, unless you preferred the OG wood heels like the Adidas Adistars.

Honestly though heel elevated lifters are going to come down to a preference, your limitations, and style for squatting. If you aren't limited by ankle dorsiflexion they really probably aren't going to make a large difference, but they do provide some really good build quality and floor connection feel (although there are some pretty good flat shoes that do this nowadays as well). I've always had a more narrow stance and upright posture, but I mostly used them because I did a bunch of cleans and snatches as well and because I felt the "quality" or how solid the shoes felt were better than other trainers.

Nowadays I honestly don't care enough and I do all my lifting in the same relatively flat shoes anyways regardless of it is squats, cleans, snatches, etc.

It can always be worth a try, but IMHO it isn't worth looking for a solution to a problem if you don't currently have a problem (hope that makes sense).

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I like how tight and secure good lifters feel vs the squishiness of say my sauconys when squatting and deadlifting

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you don’t need lifters now for depth, squat on the wide side, there’s absolutely zero reason to waste your time and money to probably lift less.

Not saying lifters make you weaker - trying to learn new techniques when you’re already strong a certain way means you will have to remap motor patterns, and that takes time using less load.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Regarding the shoulders, you could do 2 weeks on a straight bar, one on an SSB if the loading schedule could work with your training. If you have a Buffalo bar, you could wave them. SSB, Buffalo, Straight.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If you don’t need lifters now for depth, squat on the wide side, there’s absolutely zero reason to waste your time and money to probably lift less.

Not saying lifters make you weaker - trying to learn new techniques when you’re already strong a certain way means you will have to remap motor patterns, and that takes time using less load.
You know what's funny is I have no idea why I moved to lifters, I don't recall ever having an issue with my heels personally. But after using them for so many years I feel more stapled to the ground, like anchored, for squats and my stability is better in snatch. I've always been perplexed by the guys who can go barefoot, it makes my feet hurt thinking about it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You know what's funny is I have no idea why I moved to lifters, I don't recall ever having an issue with my heels personally. But after using them for so many years I feel more stapled to the ground, like anchored, for squats and my stability is better in snatch. I've always been perplexed by the guys who can go barefoot, it makes my feet hurt thinking about it.
Most people have no idea why they moved to lifters, beyond the fact they saw someone else doing it and wanted to get some.

They make sense for weightlifting, and how you’d want to develop squat strength to cross over to the snatch & jerk. My wife wears lifters to squat & in all of her overhead events, because she is always jerking the implements to lift the most possible overhead.

They do not make sense for a typical hip-dominant squat where the goal is to move the greatest load in that lift specifically, assuming mobility isn’t lacking. Unless the lifter is in wraps - that needs to be more upright to get maximal carryover from the wraps.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That all makes a lot of sense to me. learning Oly is where i really developed good depth, and then too much depth. A2G snatch became a way of life and I had to work to keep myself from going too deep on a regular low bar squat later.

They do not make sense for a typical hip-dominant squat where the goal is to move the greatest load in that lift specifically, assuming mobility isn’t lacking.
I've never heard that before, makes me want to attempt squats in my flats now.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That all makes a lot of sense to me. learning Oly is where i really developed good depth, and then too much depth. A2G snatch became a way of life and I had to work to keep myself from going too deep on a regular low bar squat later.

I've never heard that before, makes me want to attempt squats in my flats now.
In powerlifting competition, you want to squat the most possible. So you want to use as many muscles as possible, and generally sitting back some to engage the hips/hams/low back more to do a bigger share of the work promotes this. You also do not want to squat excessively deep, as that wastes energy.

When the raw lifter is in wraps, you really want to load those up, descending as quickly as possible while remaining in good control, so the bar needs to stay a bit higher up so the torso can stay more upright. The quads will get used more proportionally and the wraps are used to augment that push out of the hole.

When single-ply squat suit is added, even though wraps get used, the lifter tends to get more out of the suit sitting back into it harder, so the technique shifts back towards a low bar raw squat in sleeves. The wraps are more for stability and stopping power when wearing a suit, not the primary device for carryover.

Lastly, in multiply the bar tends to move back up higher, because the absolute loads become so great that many lifters can’t handle the sheer stress on their low back to take it low bar, or keep it in place. BUT, the suit provides radical carryover, and depth requirements are typically a joke, so the lifter will still sit back into the suit.

TLDR - Raw with wraps, lifters may be the ticket. Raw with sleeves or wearing a squat suit, it becomes more hip dominant and you’re probably looking at a flat shoe again.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Damn good amount of info there @Hyde I appreciate the breakdown. That really helped me understand the advantages in particular use cases. Thanks for that.

When I started going to the coach a couple years back I was squatting A2G and fairly narrow, maybe just outside shoulder width. At his suggestion I moved my feet wider and toes out a bit and started hitting just at or just below parallel and have been since. No mobility issues to speak of there. I honestly just started thinking about lifters and was curious about their use.

Buffalo bar will probably be the next gym purchase, but for now I think I'll start getting the SSB in the rotation. Maybe continue warming up with power bar and then hit the work sets on the SSB? I don't know, I'll play with it and find something that works because I like squatting.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Deads were good tonight, 5x5x355. Used straps for sets 2-5 after calluses were feeling dodgy on the first set. That felt great and is going to get some use. I was surprised at how different the whole lift seemed to feel, not necessarily easier I wouldn't say, but the feeling in my lats and back and legs all felt different in a good way. Like I was able to focus on the stress there more while not paying attention to my hands at all. I'll keep hitting sets DOH as well, but the straps are clocking in.

Post workout meal was beef stir fry.
Zang!
20230324_184516.jpg

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Also did something different for lat pull downs. Used the Spud long ab strap around the Elite American Cambered Bar. That will be happening again.

20230324_174145.jpg

20230324_174212.jpg

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Was thinking about increasing the under dosed test again, but I'm just going to do what I should have done a month ago: toss it and switch to what should be better stuff at roughly the same dosages. With different concentrations, I'll be increasing a little bit for practical purposes, but I expect it will actually be a larger net increase when moving to better dosed gear. Looking at the calendar, I'm inside 11 weeks to the comp and don't want to waste anymore time playing with the unknowns of weak sauce.

Currently T420/P192.5
Tomorrow T481.25/P210

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Switched to new UGL yesterday. Have a hard spot near yesterday's injection site and some PIP again with today's, both symptoms likely due to the Primo being 200mg/ml. I haven't used P200 and so far I'm not a fan! Ha ha. We'll see if I get used to it maybe, that would be nice! I think tomorrow I'll use what's left in the previous vial of P100 to verify it is the P200 and not the Test E causing the issue.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Switched to new UGL yesterday. Have a hard spot near yesterday's injection site and some PIP again with today's, both symptoms likely due to the Primo being 200mg/ml. I haven't used P200 and so far I'm not a fan! Ha ha. We'll see if I get used to it maybe, that would be nice! I think tomorrow I'll use what's left in the previous vial of P100 to verify it is the P200 and not the Test E causing the issue.
Are you drawing and pinning your compounds separately? If so, try mixing them in the same barrel, or pre-mixing them in a spare vial, so the primo is diluted with test.

If you are using little shots with a slinpin, you will have to premix them in ratio in a vial so you aren’t pinning the same needle excessively.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Are you drawing and pinning your compounds separately? If so, try mixing them in the same barrel, or pre-mixing them in a spare vial, so the primo is diluted with test.

If you are using little shots with a slinpin, you will have to premix them in ratio in a vial so you aren’t pinning the same needle excessively.
Drawing into single 1cc luer lock, rolling around a bit to mix.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
The primo 200 I have always bites, fwiw. Nature of primo.
That's what I figured. I've gotten used to no PIP for a while now, I had forgotten: it sucks!

How is Mast E 200 for PIP in your experience? I've considered trying it in place of primo anyway since it's less than half the price.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That's what I figured. I've gotten used to no PIP for a while now, I had forgotten: it sucks!

How is Mast E 200 for PIP in your experience? I've considered trying it in place of primo anyway since it's less than half the price.
There should be none.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
There should be none.
Well then, that's certainly in its favor. I may have to give it a go in the near future and see how it treats me otherwise.

Interestingly, today's shot in the opposite pec isn't as bothersome so far. I drew the test first this morning instead of the primo as I normally do, so I don't know if that had something to do with it maybe. If the PIP persists I'll probably decrease injection frequency.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Killer bench workout today. Taking it easy on squats Monday set me up to be in the right place for today's work. Did some close grip bench after work sets and that was a nice change and a nice pump. Tri and chest accessories had me full!

I realized I may as well be putting workouts in here, especially when they're productive.

I don't track warm up weights unless I'm building to a max set. The squiggly line around accessories denotes a superset.

20230329_194800.jpg

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well then, that's certainly in its favor. I may have to give it a go in the near future and see how it treats me otherwise.

Interestingly, today's shot in the opposite pec isn't as bothersome so far. I drew the test first this morning instead of the primo as I normally do, so I don't know if that had something to do with it maybe. If the PIP persists I'll probably decrease injection frequency.
What total volume are you putting in pecs btw? Pecs I keep to 0.5cc max.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
What total volume are you putting in pecs btw? Pecs I keep to 0.5cc max.
Man, crazy week. Right now I'm pinning 0.4cc per day. This week the PIP is better in pec shots. The VG shots didn't bother me at all. The delts were pretty sore two days after.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Another killer bench session today. Hit 315 for a set of 5 for a PR. Close grip again after that.

Squats on Monday was 2 sets of 5 at 405. Should have been 3 sets, but I misgrooved on the second set and felt the risk wasn't worth the reward of pushing another set when I was showing signs of fatigue. Straight bar this week and the elbows weren't as bad as weeks prior. I think for now I'll probably stick to every other week swapping in SSB squats to give some time to heal up a bit.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Pulled 405x3 hookgrip tonight. Was aiming for 5 but it wasn't there. A little less than 2 years ago I PR'd deadlift at 405x1 so I'm happy to hit it for 3 today for a rep PR. Satisfying progress. I think if I had slowed down a bit I may have gotten that 4th rep, but pleased with the work nonetheless.

PR's galore lately. Things are rolling well and I'm getting more comfortable pushing the envelope. This has always been something I've had a hard time with while training by myself. I play it so safe I think I'm cutting myself short sometimes. It makes me want to get back with a coach or into a gym to find a training partner to help me feel more at ease getting outside my comfort zone. I sense untapped strength lingering below the surface of my inhibitions.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well there it is, 1st meet is in the bag.

Went 9/9, 1330# total.
S 500 (430/475/500)
B 355 (310/345/355)
D 475 (390/450/475)

All whites except one red on 3rd squat for depth. Right knee caved a bit on that lift as well, but otherwise everything hit just right. Planned for 365 on bench 3rd, but 2nd moved a little slow so I played it safe and I'm glad I did. Plan for deads was 390/440/460, but after playing it cool on bench, 390 moved better than expected. I wanted to break 1300 on 2nd attempt to leave room for missing a 3rd, so I went 390/450/475. 3rd moved quite well, so in reality I probably should have tried for 495, but I'm happy having hit all my lifts.

The past few weeks have been a slog and have had me thinking hard about hanging it up, but after today... I'm fckn hooked. Already looking towards the next one and breaking 1400. Plenty of room for growth on deads I think as it's still my weakest lift, so deficit and rackpulls here I come!

Nutrition today was a bag of Haribo bears, half a box of Rice Krispies, 100mg Adrol and 45mg M1A. Postworkout was a pulled pork sandwich from QT and a 24oz Coors Banquet. Now onto a big plate of spaghetti for dinner. Life is good!

20230610_163425.jpg

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hahaha I had a gas station brisket sandwich on the way home from the last one; that’s a good drive thinking about everything and life on the way back. At that moment in time, it finally feels like all the work, aches, & sweat was all truly worth it. You know you got to do something awesome and got away with it!

I’m really glad it was a great experience for you, and that you did so well for yourself - congratulations on becoming a 500lb squatter!!!

FWIW, the final weeks of prep it’s normal to feel really beat down. In order to get a supercompensation effect, you must first overreach before shedding fatigue. You don’t even need to feel very good at the meet - you just need to feel strong under the barbell for those 9 lifts; then it’s done.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
it finally feels like all the work, aches, & sweat was all truly worth it. You know you got to do something awesome and got away with it!
Man, you said it right there.

Thanks for the congrats. Hitting 500, and it being judged a good lift, is really a milestone I'm stoked on.

Glad to hear it's to be expected. I was getting nervous I peaked too early after having a good week of ~85% lifts about 4 weeks before followed by two challenging weeks of ~90-93%. But it worked out just right.