Fixing hip, Shoulder, trap, neck and jaw muscular/ skeletal imbalance

jcr1000

Awards
I thought this might be a good place to ask about this. I have dealt with severe health issues stemming from the almost total lack of sleep ever since getting off of benzodiazepines nearly six years ago. Though I have maintained consistent effort to remain active, there have been numerous extended periods of time where I simply didn't have the energy/ stamina to work out or even move for that matter. My posture during these times was extremely poor (I've spent days on end slouched back in my computer chair with one leg propped up on my computer desk)and over time this has lead to an imbalance in my bodies musculature and skeleton. One of the health issues that has been most problematic for me which I now realize is very likely related to the overall muscular/skeletal balance of my body (it's very, very bad currently) is TMJ/TMD. The cartilage and musculature of the right side of my face has deteriorated so much that my face is now visibly asymmetrical and I can neither talk or eat comfortably. The lack of sleep was one thing, but this has made socializing impossible (Especially with women. I am very perceptive and have noticed that they notice my awkward facial movements not knowing why they are the way they are and it weirds them out. This doesn't bother me but it certainly doesn't boost my confidence).

It was only today that I started to connect the dots and realize that the TMJ is very likely a byproduct of the imbalances in my traps, back and hips. My right trap, relative to my left, has been miniscule for as long as I can remember regardless of any gains I briefly made in the gym (I have been unable to hold onto any due to nonexistent sleep). I now see that this in turn is very likely related to my uneven hips (I have seen several chiropractors off and on over the last few years and they informed me that my hips were uneven. This resulted in one leg effectively being shorter than the other. I have struggled to progressively overload with high-bar squats as they have caused intense and long lasting sacrum pain and I just today realized that this is likely the cause).

TL;DR My entire body has been imbalanced as **** for a very long time and I want to fix it.

I am excited as I feel that I can start to improve all of these conditions moving forward by improving my posture, removing tension from certain parts and strengthening others. My question to you all is...how should I go about this? I found an alphadestiny video on Youtube about this (
) and he suggested that those of us with this type of bodily dysfunction do Jefferson deadlifts, jefferson rack pulls, side bends (not sure which side to focus on with these), cable rows with excellent form and some unilateral lifts such as shrugs and side neck raises. Does this seem like a comprehensive plan? Is there anything else that you guys can add or think that I should consider? It seems to me like returning to my chiro for regular adjustments will be a good idea moving forward so I will do that. I appreciate any and all input.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I don't think your gonna find a single person here qualified to help you, or even if there is, I imagine they would need to see you in person.

Physical therapist and a better chiropractor?

I don't have any solid advice for you, but I wanted to make that statement before a bunch of ppl flooded in here giving advice based of stuff they heard on the internet or is taking total guesses at your problem.

It sounds fairly serious and I don't wanna see anyone giving you some random advice that might screw something up worse.

But regardless of anything, practicing good posture is always a good idea

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You need to see a physical therapist. This is literally what they’re for. I’d skip the chiropractor though, they’re pretty much useless.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I think a chiropractor is better for fixing little tweaks, adjusting a shoulder or hip that's slightly off track. While I definitely don't think there useless, I do think there near useless in this particular situation.

I'm strong on the physical therapist route being the smartest direction

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey @jcr1000 - believe it or not, I'm was actually in a similar boat to you. I can tell you this:
1.) I also suffered from TMJ (lock jaw) + shitty posture (endless computer work), which weakened my once athletic core and yes they are related.
2.) I had a serious benzo problem, due to insomnia + poor core = back pain issues, etc. You're noticing all that now. in fact, well the withdrawal caused seizure... well that exacerbated some existing shoulder, spine, jaw issues... forced me into the PT+lifting+stretching path you'll likely wind up on.
=
@Smont is right, also @Jeremyk1 - there's no quick fix. PT + weights + stretching time. Maybe throw some ibuprofen and muscle relaxers in there, for when fixing the body with weights.. hurts. Lots of stretching my jaw, neck rolls, and leg kicks, back stretches... Depends on where the issue is.

Now the severe TMJ part, most dentists will tell you to keep on stretching the jaw and the better your posture and core, the less exacerbated that is. I stretch my jaw all the time... It also "crackles" when I do, I'm sure you can hear yours in your ear too?
=
When I was young playing V-ball, Track, B-Ball - I'd just go through the motions at the gym. In my 20's it was to fix my weak chest, arms... In 30-40's well it's to fix everything else, balance, muscle, core, and fix the damn spine / jaw. Sure hypertrophy and pump too, but after one's spine/core is balanced..

Last edited: