Finally found out why I can't breathe right; enlarged turbinates

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The doc has me on zyrtec and flonase and I still have issues. Is there anything else I can do? I know it's allergy related, because the zyrtec helps a little. I'm been using a saline rinse every night as well. Is there any herbal sprays or anything that might help? If not, I'm going to have to have surgery and this will be my third sinus surgery.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What happens if u use saline all day long? Like rinse every hour for 2-3 days (except night).

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What happens if u use saline all day long? Like rinse every hour for 2-3 days (except night).
I haven't tried that, just use it once before bed and sometimes once in the morning. I have to use filtered water from my pitcher, so I usually wait for the cold water to warm up to room temperature. I could use the tap water, but I'm not supposed to according to the instructions. I'm not sure if it'll make that big of a difference.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You said it's allergy related. So I'm thinking if you are constantly flushing, there's nothing in there to react to.

There's also the idea of hyper allergemia. It's probably a more common intense rebound from vasocontrictors similar to Afrin. But I know an ENT that suspects some rebound from simple anti hystamines too.

...not that I have an answer for you, more of just things to think about from more angles. I bet this is a miserable situation that you are in.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've had that surgery. It's the obstruction on the inner wall of the nose, right?
Definatelly felt better later.
But it was done with local anesthetic that didn't do much. My HR went over 200 during it. Not fun.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've had that surgery. It's the obstruction on the inner wall of the nose, right?
Definatelly felt better later.
But it was done with local anesthetic that didn't do much. My HR went over 200 during it. Not fun.
How long was the recovery time?

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How long was the recovery time?
It was almost 10 years ago but I think not long. I was back training before week was up. Nose was a bit tender for a time but after a month or so didn't notice anything anymore.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I bet the recovery is quick. I could see you back in the gym after 7-10 days.

Do u feel the obstruction constantly, or just at night?
Constant, but way worse during the day.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Constant, but way worse during the day.
I'm thinking if it's constant, allergies are not the culprit. My guess is that you'd have at least some periods of clear breathing almost every day if allergies would make the inflammation go up and down. I bet if you stop all anti histamines, you'd feel no different.

The constant blockage tells me this is anatomical and you need the procedure to clear the space. I'm not a doctor, just very interested in this case.

When is your next appointment?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The spray does make a different, it just only helps so much. Maybe it's both? If I don't take the zyrtec I start itching and get welts. So, I know it is at least partially allergies. I have to call the doc and see. I ordered grape seed extract spray as my last thing to try before surgery.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think the grape seed is a reasonable idea. I also have a buddy that swears Quercetin signifcantly helps with allergies.

Neither of those was helpful for me. But you are in a bind and need to exhaust all options.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, nothing has helped. There is this convention I want to goto on the 29rd, but I don't know if I can make it until then and be able to walk around. It's that bad. So now, I'm struggling if I want to wait the week after the convention, or do it the week before. The doctor said I'd feel worse for about 4-6 weeks, however some of you guys stated you felt better in one week. I can't even go see my aunt for her birthday today, because it's 100% humidity out and it's going to be 80 degrees.