Fat Guys and Testosterone levels - effect of obesity on male hormone levels

SilkPhantom

SilkPhantom

Awards
Hey guys,

I've recently been wondering what, if any, is the correlation between excess body fat and low testosterone levels. Does anyone know if carrying extra weight can cause a suppression of testosterone in men or in any way effect the overall production of important hormones relating to strength and energy?

I guess on the most basic level, if someone is overweight, could they substantially increase their testosterone production through diet and exercise?

rick055

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to take a guess at this.

From what I understand, a male with high body fat has more aromatase which converts more of his endogenous T to E2.

I also understand that heavy compound movements (squats, deadlifts) cause a natural increase in T levels. In fact, I think any weight bearing exercise increases T to some degree.

Could somebody substantially increase their T through diet and exercise? I don't know.

But the question becomes what you mean by substantial and how much increase in T do you need to notice a difference.

My 2 cents.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to take a guess at this.

From what I understand, a male with high body fat has more aromatase which converts more of his endogenous T to E2.

I also understand that heavy compound movements (squats, deadlifts) cause a natural increase in T levels. In fact, I think any weight bearing exercise increases T to some degree.

Could somebody substantially increase their T through diet and exercise? I don't know.

But the question becomes what you mean by substantial and how much increase in T do you need to notice a difference.

My 2 cents.
And higher estrogen increases SHBG, double whamy.

engival

Awards
  • Established
overeating has the same effect as drinking alcohol ( the liver just cant keep up ) they both inhibit the P450 system and therefore create a Testosterone to Estrogen conversion.

this is why its quite important to not eat before bed and only eat until about 80% full ( you should be able to exercise after eating a meal if need be)

SilkPhantom

SilkPhantom

Awards
But what if estrogen isn't high? Can simply carrying too much weight and not working out suppress testosterone? Or does it have to go through the pathway of Elevating estrogen and lowering testerone. Could excess cortisol be the culprit, and can u have excess cortisol simply from being overweight (not cushings)

anyman

Awards
  • Established
Huge effects. I personally consulted with a teaching Endo @ Mass General (more)

and was told "Yes, absolutely". In fact, she has done several studies indicating a direct link between excess weight and low T. At 6' and 210 I am perhaps 15 lbs overweight at most and was told that even this can have a negative effect. Lost on them was the fact that the weight came on AFTER the T became an issue.

Here is two studies that I found:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/28/7/1636

http://www.docguide.com/news/content.nsf/news/8525697700573E1885256BE3004E64AE

SilkPhantom

SilkPhantom

Awards
Thanks for the links anyman. Those were informative articles and those studies were just what i was looking for. Reps to you!