Extremely Weak Trainee

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If someone comes to me asking for advice on starting out I generally tell them to start out by learning only a few basic barbell exercises and do them often so they become ingrained. But what if you have a female trainee with basically zero muscle mass, who cannot do a single pushup and who's core is too weak to squat or deadlift an empty bar safely? Anyone been in this position when starting out?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If someone comes to me asking for advice on starting out I generally tell them to start out by learning only a few basic barbell exercises and do them often so they become ingrained. But what if you have a female trainee with basically zero muscle mass, who cannot do a single pushup and who's core is too weak to squat or deadlift an empty bar safely? Anyone been in this position when starting out?
I train my 13 yo daughter. Mainly machines , some assisted pull ups -and dips. For legs we began with box squats, just body weight (first starting position was a bench, then a medicine ball then free)-now progressing to weighted smith squats. Rag pulls with just the Olympic bar (45lbs) are now progressing to deadlifts.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My main problem with her is: focus and aggression. She does the exercises like a zombie, no emotions -and gives me a hard time to evaluate if she really reached failure -or is just pretending. I'm constantly playing mind games with her, like: "If you can't get it up one more time, all little kitten of this world will die."

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yeah, some people just seem to get it and you can visibly see them start to fail in front of you and then others seem to have such a wide gap between perceived failure and cns or muscular failure that it appears as if that just randomly quit mid set. At least that's what I've noticed.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For squats, just let her squat deep on the floor and get up without using momentum with her arms. If she can't, start with a bench to sit on. Up and down -but SLOWLY and controlled (especially downwards). It has no use to make her do squats if she is not able to stand up by herself.
I found machines very helpful for presses, we do it single armed and normal. Her left arm is way weaker, doing 1-2 extra reps with it will yield some progress soon.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Spot her while you have her do supported bodyweight squat negatives. Let her do this onto a box. Eventually remove the box. Then have her do spotted reps. Soon she’ll be doing bodyweight squats on her own. Then progress to squats with light dumbbells etc. The beat goes on. ALSO this is where machines can be very helpful. She needs to build up some quality leg strength and machines might be a good place to start. Lying leg curls, leg extensions, leg press, etc

Marcia

Marcia

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sounds like a nightmare, to be honest. YOU can’t want it more than SHE does. But that’s another thread altogether. Bodyweight lunges, squats, etc. moving up to the lighter preloaded barbells has worked well. Kettlebells as well. That way you can establish form before anything.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Good quality machines. Hammer strength plate loaded machines like inverted leg press, shoulder press, incline press, chest press, seated row, isolateral pull down, isolateral incline row.

Mate of mine works with people recovering from eating disorders, and many of these girls can't even sq it at a 15kg bar, so this is how he starts them out.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My main problem with her is: focus and aggression. She does the exercises like a zombie, no emotions -and gives me a hard time to evaluate if she really reached failure -or is just pretending. I'm constantly playing mind games with her, like: "If you can't get it up one more time, all little kitten of this world will die."
This is going to discourage her more. You're going to have to be nice to her. Once she likes you, her motivation will increase. Set her up for success.

You will have to build her self esteem before changing her body.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is going to discourage her more. You're going to have to be nice to her. Once she likes you, her motivation will increase. Set her up for success.

You will have to build her self esteem before changing her body.
The only thing she is not lacking is self esteem, believe me! Typical millennium girl, thinks she knows it all, can it all -and all is about her. :) My method is the "drill sergeant method" with the difference, I praise her when she is doing good -we even do a little "war dance" when she did a PR.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes. do you have access to a gym with machines, cables, weights to train her?

do 5 lbs dumbbell presses, 5 lb rows, 10 lb rows, light weight . Help her progress.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yes. do you have access to a gym with machines, cables, weights to train her?

do 5 lbs dumbbell presses, 5 lb rows, 10 lb rows, light weight . Help her progress.
Yeah, I do. I just need to refamiliarise myself with machines I guess. I tend to rarely use them but it makes sense in this instance.