expired protein bars?

theSCHICK

Awards
Do you guys think that protein bars lose much of the nutrient value if they are old?

I am starting classes up again in a couple of weeks, and I won't have the availability of a kitchen to keep my cals up.

I jumped on ebay and bought some protein bars that are about 1.5 years old. I figured snce they were still packaged it wouldn't be all that horrible.

I bought a lot too...1 case (60 bars). Then somehow I was absent minded and bid on another case and won it too. Now I have 120 protein bars...geeze.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
ha.... i did that years ago as well. 120 pure proteins man..... first off, protein bars' protein profile are terrible anyways. too processed. and knowing that a bar has been out for awhile now....should give you the answer as far as the quality of nutrients in those bars.... but i feel you bro....30 cents a bar, i said F it too
Sage

theSCHICK

Awards
Any idea what I can actually expect the amount of protein should be? I think these are 22g of protein each...would it be around half that?

Yeah, it was stupid in retrospect, I should have saved that money and bought some good ones. I guess I just hoped that there will be enough protein in them to make it worth while.

maggmaster

Awards
  • Established
I dont realy think protein degrades badly over time Il bet theyre still close to original values. Sage was just saying that protein bars suck in relation to real food.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
your answer would depend on the makeup of the proteins. if its heavily collagen based, then you dealing with a bar thats less in quality protein than a bar, where the ingredients cotain whey, milk isolate, casiente, etc as its main source). about half.....? possible
Sage

theSCHICK

Awards
Yeah, I definately like real food, but these maybe handy to throw in the school bag.

If it matters, they are ANSI mega protein bars...here is the ingredient list:
Ingredients: Protein Blend (Contains: Calcium Caseinate, Hydrolyzed Protein, Whey Protein Isolate, Soy Protein Isolate), Glycerine, Maltitol, Fractionated Vegetable Oils, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Cocoa Powder, Lecithin, Salt, Cocoa Butter, Natural Flavors, Vitamin/Mineral Blend (Contains: Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide, Ferrous Fumarate, Zinc Oxide, Pantothenic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Copper Gluconate, Cholecalciferol, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodine, Biotin, Cyanocobalamin), Sucralose, Potassium Sorbate. May Contain Traces of Various Nuts.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I definately like real food, but these maybe handy to throw in the school bag.

If it matters, they are ANSI mega protein bars...here is the ingredient list:
Ingredients: Protein Blend (Contains: Calcium Caseinate, Hydrolyzed Protein, Whey Protein Isolate, Soy Protein Isolate
the hydrolyzed protein as the second most dominate protein source isnt good. i know of ansi's bar you are referring to and its too late now but bb.com had them on sale. I believe its discontinued now. It doesnt hurt to make yourself a homemade protein bars for your on the go lifestyle. I know how it is man, having delt with college life the past 4 years.... but cooking the night before or making a batch of the homemade bars and carrying it around with you in a ziplock, is your best choice. The bars wont hurt you in anyway. the grams of protein is still all there. its just an issue of how it will transform from taking it in and what role it will have in muscle recooperation, building, and as an energy supplier. Have a bar or two .... but dont make it a staple of your diet.
Sage

theSCHICK

Awards
Thanks a bunch for you advice Sage. I really appreciate it. Yeah, I'll probably eat a couple at a time for snacks through the day, but I try to keep them as a suppliment.

I go to school out of town, so I have to bring everything I plan on eating. I will probably try to eat cold chicken breast for my lunches. I have been making my own protein bars for a while, but I haven't been overlly thrilled with them.