Elevated liver enzymes?

ProgressiveOvrload

Awards
Good afternoon everyone,

I recently had labs done for my yearly physical and my AST/ALT were 115 AST / 290 ALT. I’ve done a ton of research and found that this could be due to heavy lifting, which I train hard to failure (Dorian Yates model). My doctor wants me to now get a liver biopsy despite my more specific liver labs on a subsequent blood drawn coming up normal:

ALK PHOS - 100 unit / L
Bilirubin- 0.7 mg/dl
BUN - 15mg/
A/G ratio - 1.1
GGT - 47/L

I don’t take nor have I ever taken any PEDs. I feel a liver biopsy is unnecessary and a drastic step to rule out something which I clearly don’t have (GGT is apparently used to rule out any actual liver damage). He admittedly told me he wasn’t an expert on hepatitis and sounded like he was referring a biopsy just to cover his tracks.

I found a reassuring article from T nation below. Has anyone else had similar blood labs?

I appreciate any and all feedback,
Alex

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
When was your last training session, before blood test?

I had some alarming kidney numbers drastically lowered and one of the things I did was take 5-6 days off before retesting bloodwork, and my last session was something like chest/back as opposed to heavy squats…

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Good afternoon everyone,

I recently had labs done for my yearly physical and my AST/ALT were 115 AST / 290 ALT. I’ve done a ton of research and found that this could be due to heavy lifting, which I train hard to failure (Dorian Yates model). My doctor wants me to now get a liver biopsy despite my more specific liver labs on a subsequent blood drawn coming up normal:

ALK PHOS - 100 unit / L
Bilirubin- 0.7 mg/dl
BUN - 15mg/
A/G ratio - 1.1
GGT - 47/L

I don’t take nor have I ever taken any PEDs. I feel a liver biopsy is unnecessary and a drastic step to rule out something which I clearly don’t have (GGT is apparently used to rule out any actual liver damage). He admittedly told me he wasn’t an expert on hepatitis and sounded like he was referring a biopsy just to cover his tracks.

I found a reassuring article from T nation below. Has anyone else had similar blood labs?

I appreciate any and all feedback,
Alex
Every time you work out hard your liver enzymes get elevated forva few days. It's most likely nothing to be concerned about but yiu should keep a eye on it if you hadn't worked out recently.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You would be surprised how many DR. Don't understand how much hard training or strenuous activities effect bloodwork. It's alarming honestly.

ZLB70

ZLB70

Awards
Eh. I honestly would just recheck it in a day or two while not working out. I had my enzymes shoot up to 200 and 300 something and they went down within about 4-5 days

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’d suggest running some Tudca for a couple weeks too.

4 grams of astragalus is what I used for the kidneys.

My doc. was dismissive about the time off from weight training as something I did to lower numbers….that’s how a lot of them are.

ZLB70

ZLB70

Awards
I chalked it up to either working out like you’re thinking or the only other thing I could think of was I had a pretty disgustingly big cheat day the day prior to the bloodwork

ProgressiveOvrload

Awards
When was your last training session, before blood test?

I had some alarming kidney numbers drastically lowered and one of the things I did was take 5-6 days off before retesting bloodwork, and my last session was something like chest/back as opposed to heavy squats…
I did heavy hack squats (to complete failure) the day before.

i think I just need to show my doctor this article…

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doctors love when you bring them articles to show them how out of touch they are. Lol. Better approach would be to take time off and then get tested if it's a concern.