Eating extra burned calories?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im currently on a bulk.. 5 days in.

My maintenance is aroung 2700-2800 calories per day.. Im currently doing a very small surplus 3000 calories so 200-300 calories over..
I dont believe in hiking calories too much as our bodys can only build muscle at one rate..

I do alot of cycling in house and out. Yesterday i was on the bike we have in the house for 60 minutes and i calculated around 600-700 calories burned. I dont use the onboard calorie counter. Miles out as usual. I added 650 calories to my meals yesterday to make sure i was still in what i believe to be a surplus.

Today i was outside on my bike and got 20+ mile in. I will add my calculated calories to todays meals. So probably the same as yesterday.

Does everyone else do this? Im trying to keep my gains lean and not overspill with fat this time round. Just makes cutting long and depressing..On days i dont cycle i hit 3000 calories. I also train most days. Got a good program going at the moment.

Do use all add in any extra calories? I dont want any deficit days but still want to keep semi lean.

Thanks

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I do adjust up and down depending on amount of cardio. The 5-6 days a week I run (burns approx 750 Cals) I’ll eat roughly that amount extra.

I don’t vary much for weight training though (on the basis that the calorie demands around repair and growth are spread over a 48 hour period so even if not lifting one day the body still needs the calories to repair).

I have read articles that suggest you shouldn’t drop on days off at all if you are trying to grow, this is one that springs to mind:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/turn-rest-days-into-growth-days

Honestly imo I think there’s an element of trial and error for you individually. I’ve found too many things where the latest science says one thing but my body says the other lol

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do adjust up and down depending on amount of cardio. The 5-6 days a week I run (burns approx 750 Cals) I’ll eat roughly that amount extra.

I don’t vary much for weight training though (on the basis that the calorie demands around repair and growth are spread over a 48 hour period so even if not lifting one day the body still needs the calories to repair).

I have read articles that suggest you shouldn’t drop on days off at all if you are trying to grow, this is one that springs to mind:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/turn-rest-days-into-growth-days

Honestly imo I think there’s an element of trial and error for you individually. I’ve found too many things where the latest science says one thing but my body says the other lol
Thanks bud ?

I dont lower cal's on my rest days.. I dont really have full on laid back rest days as im a very active person. I know alot of folk say you need rest days but i leave no less than 72 hours between hitting muscle groups. But.. I dont do a day or days where i dont have nothing done in terms of cardio or training. I do have a day off the weights but im usually out on my bike cycling so thats still a cardio (For me).. Just my lifestyle. I have remained almost un-injured so im not overloading my body too much.

Last time i bulked i wasnt as active as i was now and i gained a little more fat than i would have liked but i got some very good gains. I have kept my calories the same this time round but with me being more active i think the fat will be very minimal this time. 50/30/20 Carbs Protein Fat macro split.. I keep my diet pretty flexible aswell. Enjoying the extra meals each day tbh. My appetite is a joke though but i keep it under control with intermittent fasting. Even while bulking. I prefer large meals over small space out ones.

What you doing yourself just now? Got a program in place? Bulk/Cut?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks bud ��

I dont lower cal's on my rest days.. I dont really have full on laid back rest days as im a very active person. I know alot of folk say you need rest days but i leave no less than 72 hours between hitting muscle groups. But.. I dont do a day or days where i dont have nothing done in terms of cardio or training. I do have a day off the weights but im usually out on my bike cycling so thats still a cardio (For me).. Just my lifestyle. I have remained almost un-injured so im not overloading my body too much.

Last time i bulked i wasnt as active as i was now and i gained a little more fat than i would have liked but i got some very good gains. I have kept my calories the same this time round but with me being more active i think the fat will be very minimal this time. 50/30/20 Carbs Protein Fat macro split.. I keep my diet pretty flexible aswell. Enjoying the extra meals each day tbh. My appetite is a joke though but i keep it under control with intermittent fasting. Even while bulking. I prefer large meals over small space out ones.

What you doing yourself just now? Got a program in place? Bulk/Cut?
Nice bro, I’m pretty similar in that I tend to have very few ‘do nothing’ days. Maybe one day every couple of weeks I won’t run or lift (typically if I’m away with work), even those days I walk 90 mins plus (dog).

I’m a bit between things at the moment to be honest. Finished a cycle end of Dec (went well and kept decent amount post pct) but been busy and haven’t really set anything out for the period between that and my next cycle. Generally just focusing on maintaining and just got some GW to try and recomp a bit.

I gain fat easily on a bulk (even lean bulking - former fatty issues) and I want to be as lean as poss for my next run, at the same time we all want to be making strength gains.

I’m going to mix training up a bit from next week by dropping to lifting heavy 3x per week and focusing on conditioning/mobility the other 2-3 (cardio is constant for me).

Never only lifted 3 days since I started training so wanted to see how that impacted strength.....(on cycle I’ll push the volume).

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice bro, I’m pretty similar in that I tend to have very few ‘do nothing’ days. Maybe one day every couple of weeks I won’t run or lift (typically if I’m away with work), even those days I walk 90 mins plus (dog).

I’m a bit between things at the moment to be honest. Finished a cycle end of Dec (went well and kept decent amount post pct) but been busy and haven’t really set anything out for the period between that and my next cycle. Generally just focusing on maintaining and just got some GW to try and recomp a bit.

I gain fat easily on a bulk (even lean bulking - former fatty issues) and I want to be as lean as poss for my next run, at the same time we all want to be making strength gains.

I’m going to mix training up a bit from next week by dropping to lifting heavy 3x per week and focusing on conditioning/mobility the other 2-3 (cardio is constant for me).

Never only lifted 3 days since I started training so wanted to see how that impacted strength.....(on cycle I’ll push the volume).
I was a former fatty also.. We naturally just fill up those old fat stores lol but.. I dont mind a little fat gain. I pushed my cut slightly more this time to make way for the fat gain. So i should still look reasonable.. Im going on holiday in 8 weeks and usually i would go as trim as i can (Canary islands so its always sunny) but im not too fussed this time.. Still be decent looking anyhow.. If i go on holiday after a cut my metabolism is very sluggish and tend to overeat on holidays so i just pile it on in those 10 days... This time my metabolism will be at full so i should be able to control it more. Weve also opted for self catering. All inclusive is a food and drink disaster so were still gonna eat good food but just more controlled and make our own meals.

What you running cycle wise? Test only? You ever thought about just cruising after cycle? Suppose it depends on costs and if your in that scene for life.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I was a former fatty also.. We naturally just fill up those old fat stores lol but.. I dont mind a little fat gain. I pushed my cut slightly more this time to make way for the fat gain. So i should still look reasonable.. Im going on holiday in 8 weeks and usually i would go as trim as i can (Canary islands so its always sunny) but im not too fussed this time.. Still be decent looking anyhow.. If i go on holiday after a cut my metabolism is very sluggish and tend to overeat on holidays so i just pile it on in those 10 days... This time my metabolism will be at full so i should be able to control it more. Weve also opted for self catering. All inclusive is a food and drink disaster so were still gonna eat good food but just more controlled and make our own meals.

What you running cycle wise? Test only? You ever thought about just cruising after cycle? Suppose it depends on costs and if your in that scene for life.
That we do my friend, as I understand we can create fat calls but not get rid of them (just empty them), those cells remaining is why we regain so easy.

Sounds like a solid plan for your holidays, I love the canaries, tend to go Gran Canaria self cat as well.

I’m not ready to cruise yet, only just started running ph’s, not got my head around to pinning yet although I’ll probably end up there in a few years. Cycle I just finished was a basic training 1/4/epiandro stack but was game changing for me, started to get the results that technically what I was doing should get me (I’m mid 30’s so hormones starting to work against me).

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That we do my friend, as I understand we can create fat calls but not get rid of them (just empty them), those cells remaining is why we regain so easy.

Sounds like a solid plan for your holidays, I love the canaries, tend to go Gran Canaria self cat as well.

I’m not ready to cruise yet, only just started running ph’s, not got my head around to pinning yet although I’ll probably end up there in a few years. Cycle I just finished was a basic training 1/4/epiandro stack but was game changing for me, started to get the results that technically what I was doing should get me (I’m mid 30’s so hormones starting to work against me).
Yeh thats very true.. Once you put on fat it never goes.. Just the fat cell shrinks.. I mind reading the more fat you had previous the higher your appetite can feel? Something to do with a hormone excreted from the fat cells. No sure how true it is but my appetite is awful but i need to be good or i will just get fat

Its Gran Canaria were off to ? Usually see the canaries once a year.. Im in Scotland so our weather is rotten this time a year.. Not much better in the summer mind lol

Pro Hormones? Good results? Test is next in line if you ever do go down the hormone route.. Just test i wouldnt fit in anything else thats when problems arise. People running too many compounds. Do you do any bloodwork?

Whats all your stats like? Whats your calories during your bulk/cut etc?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeh thats very true.. Once you put on fat it never goes.. Just the fat cell shrinks.. I mind reading the more fat you had previous the higher your appetite can feel? Something to do with a hormone excreted from the fat cells. No sure how true it is but my appetite is awful but i need to be good or i will just get fat

Its Gran Canaria were off to �� Usually see the canaries once a year.. Im in Scotland so our weather is rotten this time a year.. Not much better in the summer mind lol

Pro Hormones? Good results? Test is next in line if you ever do go down the hormone route.. Just test i wouldnt fit in anything else thats when problems arise. People running too many compounds. Do you do any bloodwork?

Whats all your stats like? Whats your calories during your bulk/cut etc?
Lol, I’m in north west England so not exactly rocking the t shirt and shorts year round myself bro haha

Always found some great restaurants in Gran Canaria - which part you off to.

Results off my first cycle were great, just the standard 1/4/epiandro stack - still 7lbs up after pct, about the same bf (15ish) and kept about 95% of strength gains (15kg on squat and 16kg on dead) - on cycle I looked the best I’ve ever looked and sides were minimal. Being honest I was totally dialled into the cycle and couldn’t have done more, struggled to keep the intensity through pct which I’ve noted for next time.

I’ve no doubt pinning test is best - I’m just a big ***** with needles, a mate might jab me down the road a bit. Going to run a few more stronger orals first. I agree that running too many compounds is bad but my view is that if I’m going to mess with my hormones I want to get results so would always stack test with something (and whatever cycle I run would be proper length and dose).

Currently 205lbs, squat 160kg, dead 200kg, bench 108kg

I run 7.5km fasted 6 days a week and lift 5 days so cut on approx 3,250 down to 2,800 (only on a longer cut), I bulk at 3,750 to 4,250, on cycle though I was leaning up at 3,500/3,750.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol, I’m in north west England so not exactly rocking the t shirt and shorts year round myself bro haha

Results off my first cycle were great, just the standard 1/4/epiandro stack - still 7lbs up after pct, about the same bf (15ish) and kept about 95% of strength gains (15kg on squat and 16kg on dead) - on cycle I looked the best I’ve ever looked and sides were minimal. Being honest I was totally dialled into the cycle and couldn’t have done more, struggled to keep the intensity through pct which I’ve noted for next time.

I’ve no doubt pinning test is best - I’m just a big ***** with needles, a mate might jab me down the road a bit. Going to run a few more stronger orals first. I agree that running too many compounds is bad but my view is that if I’m going to mess with my hormones I want to get results so would always stack test with something (and whatever cycle I run would be proper length and dose).

I run 7.5km fasted 6 days a week and lift 5 days so cut on approx 3,250 down to 2,800 (only on a longer cut), I bulk at 3,750 to 4,250, on cycle though I was leaning up at 3,500/3,750.
I use to pin my mate a couple years back lol then he got use to it himself and would happily javelin jab himself lol He blew up pretty quick.. Amazing stuff when used wisely.. Our training plans back then were horrific though and i mean horrrrrrific lol. Man i cringe thinking of myself in that gym lol

On test just be a bare minimum dose a would start.. 500mg a week and if your adding an oral then just whatever suits.. Thats all my mate done and it worked very well.. Even with our terrible workout routines.. Still cringing lol No sides either from his run.

Im currently 157 pounds.. 5ft9. I cut recently on 1800-2000 cals.. I should have went more as the weight fell off far too quick.i had refeed days all in amongst this though. But i got lean anyhow.. Bulking im currently on 3100. I keep fairly active pretty much everyday. I cycle'd the other day 20+ mile and i bumped my calories that day to 3650. My scales haven't shifted though even after dieting for that period of time(Only 6 days so far bulking so early days.. I was gonna reverse diet but man a genuinely just wanted to start gaining again and kill the 24/7 hunger.. I got as lean or even leaner than i wanted during the cut.. Was starting to rock the skeletor face at the end up) ... so im gonna wait another week and if no increase of weight i will bump my calories an extra 100 or so and just creep them slowly.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Wow your workout schedule is super impressive. How old are you? On TRT?

I need to get on your level

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wow your workout schedule is super impressive. How old are you? On TRT?

I need to get on your level
Thanks bro, I’m 36 and no try at this stage. Found an online company in the uk that do bloods (not as easy to get as for our cousins over the pond) so will start to get that regularly......

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
Of course you have to do this? If you burn the calories then you will need to adjust.

300 surplus, but burning 600, is a 300 deficit. So you’re very correct,